What is your favorite controller?

I had part of my PS3 controller melt around the curvature of my hand after handling it immediately after eating an orange like a week after I got it. google only corroborated one result for this so I’m assuming it was just a weird polymer they used for a small batch of controllers (that or most people don’t eat enough fruit). it was kind of neat to be honest.

a PS4 controller breaking within two hours does sound extremely atypical unless you’re leaving out the part where you got upset and threw it against the wall or something, although I would be really hesitant to buy any new console controller a la carte these days; they’re actually quite expensive relative to the price of the console, and there are so few multiplayer games on new consoles that aren’t also playable on PC with a grab bag of cheaper/older pads you already have lying around that it’s just not a good value. and if you wanted a generic one just to use on PC, it’s not so much better (or better-supported) than a $20 craigslist 360 controller at this point.

1 Like

Sorry. Didn’t mean to stomp on your PSeu4ria. Yeah, sure. I took my 200-packs-of-ramen device down to my torture chamber and had it screaming in a vice grip until the left analog stick refused to center, a problem I’ve never had with any other official controller.

But it definitely wasn’t a bad batch of controllers. Maybe Sony isn’t riding high on their success and let their Chinese slaves slack off. Torture is the only explanation. You’ve caught me red-handed; I’m enveloped in my own web of lies.

Your hostility is both confusing me and validating my belief of your inner anger.

you told him his experience was invalid; very few people would take that well in any circumstance and they would almost always be in their right to not do so

7 Likes

dude what why would toll have reason to ever feel anger

i actually really like this about nintendo controllers. i always go off centre with xbone or ps4 stixx

2 Likes

For 2D, a tie between the Sega Saturn pad and the Mega Drive 6-button pad. Runner-up: Neo-Geo pad.

For 3D…y’know, I’m gonna give it to the 360 controller. I used a DualShock 4 for a long stint, and while yes, it IS the best DualShock, the 360 controller is still the most comfortable dual-analog controller I’ve used. Props, Microshaft.

For ONLY REAL RIDGE RACERS:

3 Likes

if you want to talk rhythm game controllers let’s talk sound voltex

actually I don’t have much to say about it other than I love it and I wish it had faders and then it would basically just be a dj controller

with traditional twin-stick controllers, I have this thing where if my thumb is oriented horizontally on the controller, I have a way harder time using it than if it’s oriented vertically. because of this I can’t really use any playstation controllers very well and this shitty gamestop 360 controller I have is basically all I use for my PC

1 Like

Does the NegCon not have a SELECTBUTTON? How are you supposed to do that extra nitro cheat?

PS2

Yeah, the acid from oranges eating away at controllers is something I’ve heard about. Can’t believe there aren’t more Google hits for that.

neGcon sucks: concave button holes and long throw made it really uncomfortable and obnoxious to floor the gas in Ridge Racer. It should never be.

This is the same reason I don’t like the PS2 controller, I can’t play racing games that require its pressure sensitive buttons. Worst feature ever. I’m still bitter about OutRun 2 SP.

My favorite controller doesn’t exist, because it was never made:

Dual Shock 1 d-pad + buttons and a trackball instead of a 2nd stick. Who needs mouse + kb?

7 Likes

Your first post comes off as needlessly snippy and belittling, and I know you’ve been around long enough to have a pretty good sense of TOLL’s posting tone. So kindly give me a break.

Never! I can’t hit diagonals consistently on that thing.

I’m the only person I know that vastly prefers the PS1 pad. So much so, that I bought an ugly adapter from tototek to plug my grey PS1 pad into my white Saturn to play Elevator Action Returns. I guess this is the equivalent of sipping champagne through a straw.

1 Like

Also this baffles me, I absolutely adore my PSP and think it’s the best handheld (who needs two screens?), but I can’t do shit with that nub. It gives me no precision control. Maybe that scratched 2000 model I got used is borked.

the PSP is really weird. the library is terrible, the screen has major ghosting issues, the thumbstick sucks, the d-pad is also fairly bad, it’s fragile as hell, the media is ridiculous, but it’s somehow still a really nice piece of hardware, then as now, and a lot of fun as an emulation machine. the XMB UI as first launched was great; they’ve functionally improved upon it very little since.

the pre-dualshock PS1 controller is a lot less flawed than the pre-PS4 dualshock somehow. it almost certainly has too many symmetrical buttons and the ergonomics are really outdated but everything on it basically feels good.

In comparison, DS has one of the worst libraries too. More shovelware than you can shovel in a day. And many of the good games marred by mandatory stylus experiments. And the hardware? First generation frontlit fun. Nice d-pad but clunky case replaced by slim case but tinsy d-pad. And let’s not forget, DS Lite has the worst select button in the history of selectbuttons!

But I have to admit, a big reason I love the PSP so much, might be that I didn’t have one back then.

1 Like

it works well with games designed for it. it feels really bad in any game where you need to be precise with your vectors

i should be clear that the gc controller is comfortable and extremely well-suited to ninty’s first party suite. however, i own a gc/ps2/xbox-to-USB adapter. the GC controller just doesn’t work well for anything but those games it was designed for, and even then, lots of cross-platform games really suffer from the layout limitations

I bought a launch PSP and it was great, even with the atrocious d-pad. And each hardware revision really did help – by the 3000, the d-pad actually worked for things like fighting games that wanted precision inputs! Though the screen was not as nice. I have a lot of fond memories of that system, both for its sometimes (okay, frequently) janky library of original titles and as a darn nice little emulation box.