Visual Novel Real Talk

All-ages/Minimal sexual content(relatively speaking by vn standards) that are actually short and readable.

Jouka no Monshou (1 - 1 1/2 hours)

A short Equilibrium fanfiction written by Gen Urobuchi that’s a pretty good introduction to the kind of writing you can expect from plot-driven, action vns. As someone who never watched the movie, it really felt like the writer had taken the movie’s setting and turned it into his own story. Perfectly standalone and understandable on its own. Any lore details that relate to the story get explained.

Jingai Makyou 2003 Comiket version (15 mins)

Though the version that was officially published later is an eroge, this version is completely sfw.
I had discovered this lost version of the game a year and a half ago. Its about 15 mins and contains only a brief dialogue before launching into its fight scene. Its a charming piece of doujin goodness. Won’t discuss much of the details since it’s so short.

Guilty Crown: Lost Christmas (2 1/2 - 3 hours)

Its a tie-in to the anime I never watched. Though I had no confusion reading it. Got a good amount of action once it hits its stride. My only problem is that I don’t like the character writing and I think the story is just generally juvenile. Though given what I hear about its source material, this isn’t innacurate. The action writing itself isn’t stellar, but its presentation and production values place it well above the competition and make up for that aspect. Just keep in mind that since they borked up the tech aspect of the english patch that you need to go through the game in a single sitting.

Eroge Section

Dra*Koi (2 1/2-3 hours)

Mostly a light-hearted comedy game with some lengthy action sequences between every act. The writing can be cringe-worthy, especially with its h-scenes. I’d you like 2000s era newgrounds humor writing – its especially, edgy in that juvenile, teenage way, you’ll find a nostalgic and enjoyable experience.

Kikokugai: The Cyber Slayer (7-8 hours)

If you don’t mind reading stuff that has rather tough content warnings. I’ll state right here that this vn is what made me fall in love with the medium at large. It’s certainly cheesy and you could argue that the action scenes go on too long, but the storytelling man, the way its told and presented is fantastic. If you want that cathartic angst mixed in with some truly badass sequences, there’s not many vns that give you exactly that with little fluff.

Hope you find something that you enjoy in that list.

Edit

Something I just remembered is that Jouka no Monshou needs something to drop into the game to have it run. It runs on the nscripter engine. This here is the modern version of the engine that helps make it run better on windows 10. Just run the exe in the folder and enjoy.

4 Likes