videogame music with unusual time signatures

1 Like

7/8

This is a maybe. I think it’s mostly 4/8 (or 4/16?) with lots of triplets but then it just breaks down into ??? and the tech isn’t quite up to what was composed.

Same as another.

technically mostly in 4/4 but god do they really spice it up

2 Likes

lots of weird shit in here

Found a rare latter-day Yamane track utilizing an irregular time, 9/8

1 Like

Talked to the person who maintains this blog about a Vagrant Story track

[quote]… it’s actually 23/16!!! It’s incredibly subtle, but there is one ‘missing’ 16th beat.

The grouping could be thought of as something like 6+5+5+5+2, though there are definitely other ways to count it that I’m not even begin to list (my brother counted it as 4+5+5+5+4, meaning he turns the starting accent of each grouping of 5 to be the opposite order of 2+3 vs 3+2 from how I see it). I guess it depends on what instrument you’re listening to and at what point you’re splitting up the groups of 5, but no matter how you interpret it this is definitely very intricate!

It definitely is pretty hard to grasp the timesig and easy to see why I thought it was just offbeat 6 rather than odd time. The instrumentation has such slow attack on a lot of it which can make it hard to count (obviously especially during that weird washy middle section), but it is concretely 23/16 all the way through, which is actually pretty tight! Easiest to count when focusing on the percussive sounds.[/quote]

1 Like

This entire track switches regularly from 5/4, 3/4, and 4/4

A lot of Metroid music is surprisingly all over the fucking place

Also:

Whether through avant-garde intent or apathy this one just generally doesn’t give a shit

2 Likes
1 Like

1 Like
2 Likes

that’s a dope tune. i would retort to jekyllgaming99, tho, that no reasonable analysis of this tune would label it as “179/8”, lol. it’s changing time signatures in subsequent bars!

Well to be fair to the erudition of jekyllgaming99 that is in fact how he analyzes it, and I think the 179 thing is a funny joke.

you can never tell on the internet!

Half-expected this to be by some lurker here when this popped up among my recommended vids

5/4:

5/8:

13/8:

4 Likes

guess i gotta play sim city 3000 now

1 Like