videogame music with unusual time signatures

I counted out 7/8, I think. Also this art of mother brain is terrifying

Counting in my head and yeah youā€™re right.

Thereā€™s also the boss theme that plays for Kraid/Crocomire/etc., whichā€¦ I have no idea what thatā€™s in. Iā€™ll have to listen to it later. Itā€™s probably multiple irregular sigs all throughout.

Sounds to me like itā€™s 15/8 with 4/4 @ the 14 seconds mark until the loop

More Metroid!

This sounds like 13 to me (with a couple measures 12). How do I figure out the denominator in the time signature? Iā€™ve never understood how I can tell if theyā€™re quarters or eighths or what.

Well: Iā€™d say that as a matter of emphasis it changes between complementary 6/8 and 4/4. But it hardly matters.

This one is easy! Almost all complex rhythms break down into duples and triples. This one is a classic example.

ONE two
ONE two
ONE two three

You donā€™t. Itā€™s a writing convention; quarters, eighths etc are all completely relative to each other in whatever piece of music is under consideration.

Generally people would visualize ā€œfasterā€ beats as /8 and ā€œslowerā€ beats as /4. Other time signatures are pretty pointless outside of specific situations, even written, and Iā€™d be skeptical that you could ā€œhearā€ them.

As for Norfair, Iā€™d probably write it as alternating measures of 6/4 and 7/4. That would be easiest to read.

2 Likes

This is just in regular old triple meter. 3/4 or 6/8.

oops responded before me

7 + 6, or 13/8.

I have no idea what this is.

3 3 3 4
3 3 4

Call it what you want. I imagine some percussion ensemble composer would write this as 6/8 + 7/8 + 10/8.

Yo does FF13 have a secret awesome funk soundtrack that I donā€™t know about? Or is just this one theme because, you know. Black guy.

No. Itā€™s mostly symphonic stuff. This and only a few other tracks are the exception.

5/4

5/4

1 Like

That Risk of Rain track has an even 7 on 5. Nice polyrhythm.

1 Like

Oh, wow, youā€™re right. The end of that song is really nice.

More Risk of Rain:

Iā€™m hearing 3+2+3+3, so 11/8?

This is a mixture of 3/4, 2/4, 5/4, and 4/4.

Somehow, itā€™s still basically 4/4 at ~101 BPM. Seems corrupted at any rate.

Dunno for a few of these Spelunky songs. Some of them seemingly change a lot.

https://youtu.be/8t-AyG-Ur48
5/4

Canā€™t track; eventually settles into 6/4

???

???

5/4

???

1 Like

Compound rhythms are cool as hell. They often take the form of a consistent rhythm where a beat is added or subtracted at an unusual place. When added, it gives the passage a lingering, weightless feel; when subtracted, it gives the passage a stuttering, rushed feel. Mainstream example: Metallica does this a lot on Puppets and Lightning.

E.g. in that last Spelunky track you posted, the opening ā€œverseā€ line is 5 + 6 + 5 + 5. So it feels like itā€™s ā€œin 5,ā€ but the second measure has an extra beat thrown in.

There are very few songs that are truly ā€œin 11ā€ or whatever. The brain doesnā€™t seem to follow more than a handful of beats at a time, and will inevitably break down rhythms into these comprehensible chunks instead. Pieces that are truly unbreakably in 11 or 13 or whatever wacky number end up simply sounding ambient, or random. The Spelunky tracks are catchy and listenable precisely because they are unconsciously break-down-able.

1 Like