Videogame Music Thread

this is fantastic

long lost sister of

2 Likes
3 Likes

Marina and I randomly stumbled across this Switch version of a breakfast themed breakout phone game and damn the soundtrack owns

1 Like

these have been popping into my head randomly the past couple of days

4 Likes

this is one of the only videogame soundtracks that i listen to like an album

when i was like… 13 or whatever, the triptych of teenage feels via video game music were shenmue, legend of mana, and chrono cross (until i played dream of the shore bordering another world to the point of feeling absolutely nothing).

secret of mana’s soundtrack is like aural pastels that i’ve never (heard) seen matched, though. it’s like if those mickey mouse balloons from disneyland were music, it’d be secret of mana’s soundtrack. (lucca’s theme is less pastel-y, but also has that disneyland balloon feel). are there any other soundtracks that actually sound like a nostalgic, pastel summer day?

oh! puck village from zwei!! kind of does.

especially when the goofy pan flute does its little outro and makes way for the goofy ass KORG harmonica that gets into it at ~1:23, fuuuck yeah. not as pastel-y as secret of mana, though.
3 Likes

Best track from Delta Rune imo.

2 Likes

Also worth posting this track for its sheer audacity, it cribs from Earthbound so hard:

kaze no notam

2 Likes

I haven’t played Chrono Cross since it came out but the soundtrack is etched in my memory like maybe no other, there isn’t much else that makes me Stare Into The Distance Meaningfully like it.

1 Like

Apparently Richard Jacques and T.J. Davis, the composer and singer of the glorious Sonic R soundtrack, got together again for Metropolis Street Racer on the Dreamcast. I had no idea there was a spiritual sequel to the Sonic R soundtrack! It’s not nearly as good and unfortunately it’s much less MDMA and much more cocaine, but I’m still enjoying a few songs.

But the best track I’ve heard from it so far is this instrumental:

Oh and this pretty chill night driving song with a totally preposterous but perfect panflute solo:

6 Likes

The Final Fantasy Dissidia NT soundtrack has more ska than I expected

1 Like

they don’t do shit like this anymore, the custom faux-radio shit just really gets me going (fuck grand theft auto, that shit don’t count)

2 Likes
4 Likes

I just played Crowtel, a pleasant but janky little indie platformer with a super cute aesthetic. The best thing about it is the soundtrack:

MARKS! SET! GO!

4 Likes

pretty sure when the movie about my life comes out there’ll be a scene where the evil sorcerer tries to use his magic to peek into the inner workings of my mind, and all he’s going to get is

MOJO
MOJO
MOJO KING BEE

2 Likes