Unofficial Alternate Soundtrack

I played a lot of Virtual Boy games to the sounds of Elephant by the White Stripes:

http://tubedubber.com/?q=XriAwJ3z6OQ:_IZT0Zv9Nyg:0:100:7:1396:1

2 Likes

Oh, this is not in the spirit but I also replaced almost all of the music in Heroes of Might and Magic 3 with the music from Heroes of Might and Magic 2. It’s just better.

1 Like

in like september 2013 i spent like three weeks playing ffxiv right when realm reborn was dropping and i hit the level cap in a real class and in mining while listening to archandroid and electric lady on loop back to back and that’s burned in there pretty good

and now i’m about to go play it and listen to old town road on repeat lol

i was paying monster hunter tri with some buddies and we were in a voice chat and every time we were about to come across a deviljho i started playing little cream soda into my microphone

1 Like

I used the custom soundtrack feature a lot on the OG Xbox so now the mall stage from Phantom Dust is eternally associated with the Tokimeki Memorial theme song. I don’t know that I can say that’s better, but it’s what I did!

1 Like

During a period of unemployment in 2013, I play a ton of Spelunky while listening to the self-titled album by the bizarre and wonderful band Exuma. The Bahamas voodoo folk vibe worked way too well with the game.

2 Likes

A lot of The Knife (Silent Shout in particular) played in the bg as I went through Certain parts of Okami, think a replay of Dragon Quest VIII and various Patton projects like Tomahawk, Bjork’s Medulla

Grindy afternoons '95 FFVI and Chrono Trigger +
Live’s Throwing Copper, SP’s Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness

Most fitting through probably Dragonforce, Rhapsody (of Fire) and Devil May Cry 3

4 Likes

f.e.a.r. and crystal castles iii
i listened to crunk and trance music while i played sonic riders nonstop as a kid

3 Likes

@vincenttoups am I misremembering these two things lining up?

DOOM II + Alice in Chains - Dirt

3 Likes

I mean Doom has a ripoff Them Bones already in it

3 Likes

it is insane that I never made this connection at the time

2 Likes

I certainly drove around in a rain a lot to AFI’s Sing The Sorrow in Vice City.

1 Like

I’ll still listen to that album at the drop of a hat. Like, every time I see it mentioned. So you know what I’ll do now

I wish I could remember what videogames I played around the time I discovered it. Drawing a blank, however. I feel like I played shooting games to it, like Mars Matrix and Ikaruga

When I think about Los Angeles I think in equal parts about Dr. Dre and Sing the Sorrow

I enjoyed playing Fallout 3 and NV with romantic era piano music. This dub has Clara Schumann’s Kinderszenen which is special because it is a cycle of many short pieces with different moods. Debussy, Chopin, and Liszt were also pretty great choices.

http://tubedubber.com/?q=nasrhZl6z7M:B9jieJySSho:100:100:45:0:1#

For me, the combo was a nice mix of relaxing and funny. Also, the music rarely obscured dialog.

1 Like

I’m about to start a fresh Vagrant Story, and am thinking to have one of these: something tonally adjacent for the heavier dungeon legged, spaced out from story and boss bits .

Interested in any ideas/recommendations :crossed_swords::musical_score:

with permission:

Mario 64 ‘Tick Tock Clock’ + They Might Be Giants - Hey, Mr. DJ, I Thought You Said We Had a Deal

1 Like

still want to cry now that I’m watching this ;__;

Honestly my individual nostalgia reactions to the elements in this dub are getting me pretty good

1 Like

Here’s the Spelunky/Exuma one I talked about earlier:

https://tubedubber.com/?q=yGsgXLWnBv8:Tkj1DDKSDUg:0:100:5:40:1

2 Likes

I played the entirety of Doom 64 to Beethoven’s 9th. To be honest I only had it because I thought Clockwork Orange was cool when I was in high school.

Edit: FEAR 360 Instant Action Mode + Bushwick Bill’s Little Big Man

1 Like