TV Party (Part 1)

They should have called Westworld “Game of Saddles”.

So I am all caught up on Westworld. Felt they really held back this first season to set things up for the second season. I am hype though.

Also saw the new Sherlock BBC episode. Thought it lost steam by the end. The old lady was behind it? Underwhelming. The whole Watson’s wife being a secret agent was dumb, but I am glad it’s over. Sherlock and Watson friendship is in rough waters at the end of this episode, but you know they will reconcile later. They are just dragging it out :unamused:

Taboo is somehow even sillier than Sharpe and I am quite into it

It depends on how much Tom Hardy you can stomach because Taboo is essentially a Tom Hardy vanity project. It was actually developed by him and his dad If I remember correctly.

Anyway, I was somewhat intrigued by the pilot but it seems like Hardy had way too much creative control because his character is a composite of all his acting tics amplified to the most obnoxious level. It’s basically a superhero show starring Tom Hardy with some supernatural elements. I know It’s only been one episode, but I can kinda tell where this one is going.

It is trash, no doubt

But as superhero shows go…

I am really hoping Legion and Powerless bring something new or interesting to the superhero tv show genre aka soap operas with powers.

I think the new prison break is a missed opportunity to break michael scofield out of hell, the greatest prison of all

1 Like

Yes!

look at that horse

had no idea refn and brubaker were making a weird crime show

Nirvanna The Band The Show is like if someone made Flight of the Concords in the Nathan for You “universe” but in Canada and also incredible?!?

This might be the most Docfuturey show i’ve seen on (the Vice streaming platform) TV

night manager was really quite good! surprised no one recommended it to me more strenuously before I happened to get free prime again

Better Call Saul is good but the parts with Mike silently, methodically, working on stuff for minutes on end are so good I kinda wish they were their own thing

1 Like

I started watching The Expanse. I really dig it. My only hope is that by the end of the first season they put the conspiracy mystery thing they are doing to bed and just focus on the politics of the world they be building here. I know nothing about season 2 and what is actually currently happening.

1 Like

Well, I’ll say this much - Season 1 didn’t finish Book 1. Book 1 finishes halfway through Season 2, so you’ll be seeing a lot of things wrap up over the first few (excellent) eps of season 2.

Just finished season 1. I thought the final episode was kinda meh but everything else was fantastic. I am looking forward to season 2. Man I love Sci Fi. My buddy who watches the show is telling me that Season 2 is superior soooo cool.

The first two eps of Season 2 have probably my favorite space skirmish I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

yeah I love the expanse. anyone read the books and has an opinion?

They’re good but lose momentum in the third book because of a new character I didn’t give a shit about and is sort of only there to drive the plot in the first third. I haven’t read further yet.

I just learned Hugh Laurie has a new-ish show (Chance) where he plays “a forensic neuro-psychiatrist that reluctantly enters a dangerous and violent world of mistaken identity, police corruption and mental illness”. Looks intriguing af. Already 2 seasons in, I guess I didn’t know it existed because it’s on Hulu and that just doesn’t exist in my country. Luckily piracy does.

The reviewer who gave Season 1 the worst score according to Metacritic says:
"You would have to search far and wide to find a drama more glum and dismal than Chance. […] No one is sad all the time; nor is it necessary to approach serious issues — such as mental illness and moral crises — only through a haze of self-pity and stress […] the burned-out doctor is so naive and so laughably gullible […] clunky, overwritten dialogue.

Sounds like my kind of show.

PS: this thread should probably be merged with this other one