TV Party (Part 1)

I assure you this feels worse than having a TV spoiled

Anyways, I lies before. I am sorry, but I am also a stubborn asshole and I am not going to retroactively spoiler anything.

I am out of things to watch. I think itā€™s come down to watching Gilmore Girls and the Gilmore Guys podcast as a companion.

West World is kinda meh, like, thematically I think this is well-trodden ground and it also has very little humor and self-awareness. Iā€™ll finish the series but itā€™s just a little too JJ Abrams for me. I donā€™t need Ed Harris trying to map his way to robot Valhalla or whatever the fuck heā€™s doing. No one gives a shit about that.

TBS is really weird now. Stuff like Search Party, Wrecked, People of Earth, Angie Tribeca all actually have a weird specific cult comedy sensibility and I canā€™t help but feel like they would all be more popular even on Netflix? It feels like some future comedy article is going to write about this as a weird little lost treasure trove that no one cared about because why in the world would you watch TBS.

1 Like

Really enjoying The Crown right now. Every episode has a similar feel, so youā€™ll know by the first episode if you like it.

Birch being an asshole aside, Westworld is, indeed, getting kind of dumb. Iā€™m hoping itā€™s got something a bit more interesting in store for the final few episodes.

Are you sure of that?

Anyway, I liked Westworld more before I caught up with all the episodes. It seemed to have great potential at the beginning but now, 1-2 episodes away from the finale, looks like itā€™s not really going anywhere interestingā€¦

Still, the best tv show about game development made so far? I think so.

1 Like

Iā€™m boring enough that I really wish they just gave us a season of just someone playing the game, if they are going to insist on making 5 seasons or whatever.

I keep thinking about rewatching 30 Rock. If anybody hasnā€™t seen it I highly recommend it. It is, in my opinion, the best NBC show of the last decade beating The Office, Community, and Parks and Rec. Itā€™s really left a hole in my heart for a good half hour sitcom.

lol wut

1 Like

If they also dedicate an entire season to the Aperture-science-like behind-the-scenes of creating the game.

I watched the westworld finale w/roomies without having seen the rest of the series and basically this. The conversation afterwards was really bizarre - any comment I had, mostly about the really stiff and overwritten rhythm of the whole spectacle (incl. my favourite part where some character spoils the ending of the episode in the first fifteen minutes wink wink tv watchy) was met with an explanation of how plots work

At a certain point I thought I was watching one of those Max Payne parody soaps but in real life :expressionless:

Westworld character: ā€œItā€™s all about show, donā€™t tellā€

Westworld: OK let me explain in 2 minutes of rambling dialogue how I went from a mild mannered guy who loved a robot to a sociopathic robot killerā€¦OK now let me explain in 2 minutes of dialogue another characterā€™s motivations and how it relates to some movie writerā€™s thoughts on the nature of the human mindā€¦OK now let me explain in 2 minutes of dialogue how these convoluted events were actually all part of my diabolical plan.

1 Like

Is The Young Pope any good whatsover?

ash vs evil dead is surprisingly great given how inconsistent sam raimiā€™s post-evil dead 2 work was

tone is spot-on, all the actors are good, plotting is perfectly stupid

Yes!

Shame about the season 2 finale!

(Which is the result of a behind-the-scenes shakeup that has me worried about season 3!)

(Damn!)

(Ass!)

1 Like

Right? I mean, at the very least, even if Season 3 is bad I canā€™t imagine it would come out as incoherent as the finale.

the original plan for the finale was so much better, itā€™s a shame

the piano keys were good though

watching westworld and wow itā€™s just like when I want to enjoy the great characterization in rockstar games and then along comes you all:

saints rooooooow jeeeet paaaacks DILDOOOOOOS!! YEAH!!!

for me this show has done for videogames what drug cartels have done for drugs. canā€™t numb my brain with either now without being crushed with guilt at contributing to the horror show

2 Likes

why does clifton collins jr. hair keep changing between scenes