TV Party (Part 1)

If you enjoy Russian Doll, I recommend Search Party. Very different premise but both are the few “late 20s/30s aimless people in NYC” shows I can tolerate.

It’s one of those bizarre, barely advertised TBS shows that is way better than you’d expect. I’ve been meaning to write something about it since it got zero attention and people would probably love it if it were on a channel people watched.

1 Like

I found that (and a Jason Schwartzman vehicle it strongly reminded me of) to be a bit too twee actually

and Russian doll is definitely not that

god though Natasha Lyonne is wasted on Fred Armisen

wow what? truly

this soundtrack is so good, even if half of it is just John Maus

1 Like

i mean Nadia’s charming sure but idk about likeable

“Kids in America” on Riverdale > “Kids in America” in MGS5

man that second episode of russian doll plays with e groundhog day rules in ways that thre me off, 5/5 good tv

edit: huh something up with the parsing on the quote in the first tweet

killing miss Grundy in S02E01 of riverdale is like when they killed d’angelo in the wire

these Netflix encodes are shameful though, foh 2.5mbit 1080p

Into the Badlands fights are genuinely so fun and well choreographed that i don’t even mind the Proper Noun Fantasy world that looks like an adult version of the Canadian kids show The Oddysey

2 Likes

it gives me immense pain to say that jordan peele’s “weird city” is not really as funny or conceptually sharp as…idiocracy

like just as a practical matter it can’t be as racist or classist as that but it’s just…it’s got nothing to say?

every episode has all the benefits and problems of sketch comedy but the sketches are all an entire half an hour long

there is so much talent behind and in front of the camera that i love and the concept of a goofy funny anthology show with worldbuilding is so good

it’s not smart enough or stupid enough

i really wish it landed better for me

god there are so many good 15 second gags though

2 Likes

weird city is treehouse of horror but too much

1 Like

a sci fi anthology series where every segment is only 15 seconds would be extremely good

1 Like

i probably would get more enjoyment out of a vine compilation where they all ended with the x-files theme being played over the black mirror logo

8 Likes

the tv show “black monday” is 100% indistinguishable from if funny or die or whoever was making a parody of 80s period pieces and i can’t tell if it’s on purpose

1 Like

Strong start in Umbrella Academy, stayed at least interesting as it muddled through the middle (quite happy to reveal their hand well in advance for some story elements and then oddly reticent for others), rushed the climax and pissed me off with the sequel hook ending.

Episode 4 of Russian Doll ends like a tonne of bricks dumped all over you, restarting the loop. I wasn’t prepared for that!

1 Like

I liked Russian Doll a whole lot more than I was expecting; the Groundhog Day time loop thing is pretty played out at this point, but it’s executed so well!

And there’s the second layer to that we’ve seen him before! which I didn’t realize it at the time and now struck me watching the next episode, holy shit this is really good.

2 Likes