TV Party (Part 1)

if anyone isn’t watching baroness von sketch it’s so consistently great

It’s more hit than miss, I find. There’s ones that don’t really land or go on for too long but then there’s that perfect skit at least once every episode. I greatly appreciate it exists.

1 Like

finally some actually important tv news

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2018/11/19-1/wakakozake-tv-drama-dines-out-with-4th-season-in-january

1 Like

I’ve been watching El Ministerio del Tiempo (The Ministry of Time). The episodes are movie length, so you really need to have some time to kill to get into it. I love how Spanish it is. There is an entire episode about Picasso’s Guernica and in the next episode they have to save the life of Lazarillo de Tormes.

1 Like

sex and the city has beautiful cinematography. season one is shot on 16mm film. im not watching anymore past that but im such a miranda

4 Likes

homecoming on ama prime is from Sam Esmail & Eli Horowitz, of Mr Robot fame.
it doesn’t feel like mr robot, but manages to do some visual trickery that reminded me of the cinematography that made mr robot so great. Julia Roberts stars, alongside Bobby Canavale (which we know from Mr Robot, yeah) and some other faces you have seen before, i saw it somewhere being called hitchcockian, and… yeah. just check it out if that’s your deal, i’d say!

I adored this show right up until the very end of the second season when the change of direction (no spoilers) didn’t really work for me, the cameo by one of my and everyone’s favourite actresses felt forced and I thought they really lost something as much as they tried not to.

it took me until last month to watch it because I find michael schur’s moral universes to be a little bit stultifyingly suburban at the best of times and the premise always sounded to me like it was going to be doubling down on that but it absolutely won me over, it’s just that with the change of setting I can already feel my usual complaints flaring up.

does season 3 get better after the first episode?

1 Like

like I have this idea of him as someone whose favourite person in america is nate silver and I gotta fight it

1 Like

we don’t have the same tastes felix so i have no idea what you would like

but as of the last episode they’re back in the afterlife

also d’arcy carden is impossibly good in “Janet(s)”

d’arcy carden is unbelievable in general and I think part of my problem with the end of s2/beginning of s3 is she doesn’t get to do enough

1 Like

the last two episodes have been generally reviewed as her best showcases so take that as you will

2 Likes

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend has had an awkward start to its season (I’m still an epi behind, fwiw). It’s getting a little better, but there’ve been some clunky episodes. Also, the musical numbers have been mostly feeling really uninspired and a few have been way too drawn out.

Still hoping it finds its footing, but I’m preparing myself to just remembering the first 2.5 seasons as mostly really stellar.

it does feel like kinda perfunctory plot wrap ups. but i’m glad it’s getting to do things on it’s own terms to a degree.

“don’t be a lawyer” is definitely my favorite song of the season

my brain can’t accept new greg no matter how much they dump the lampshade truck on top of him

Yeah, “Don’t Be a Lawyer” is definitely the standout for me. I can’t really name another one I actually liked that much. Paula’s song about her son was alright. FAKE EDIT: Oh, the Chicago number from the first ep was pretty good.

It is good that they seem to go out the way they want it to, though. It seems like the budget has been cut even though the episode count has been increased for the season. I’m not sure how true that is.

I think the first third of season 4 being kinda shapeless and wheel-spinny is especially hard to take after season 3 wrapped up in such a rushed fashion.

Nightflyers is pretty good. If you like space horror, I’d say it’s got more than enough cool ideas and cool scenes to make it worth it (I think it’s just 6 episodes).

It’s one of those shows that kind of needs to stick the landing for me to really recommend it. I like about half of the characters quite a bit. I love the tech, and the near-future setting and lore. It looks really good, surprisingly.

The story is pretty decent, but nothing mind-blowing. Some plot threads I’ll enjoy, others I won’t care for.

Angus Sampson is excellent. He feels right out of Alien. Maya Eshet is also great and I was not expecting that based on her iffy introduction.

i wish more people watched shameless. it’s too disney-ish to be aesthetically dreamlike but in the mind it is if you try to think about the entire story.

how fast and slow and unreal life is when in poverty. life is but a dream and then u die

sex drugs and pain

3 Likes

like some randy maniac bishop

Is this…post town burning down? They were leading up to that in the show, and paying attention to their timeline with the telegraph poles, voting & statehood organizing, right? And the actors are obviously older so they’ll either be fudging it or it will be a diaspora story?

apparently yeah

The movie was filmed on the Westworld sets — or, more accurately, Westworld is filmed on the Deadwood sets. How tough was it recreating the town after all these years?
It was a lot of work. I have to hand it to Maria Caso, who was the production designer. She did a great job originally but then she came into re-creating the town 10 years later and the thought and detail that went into it. There are stone buildings now because there had been a fire, which really happened in Deadwood.