TV Party

I think it gets more tedious as it goes on, but yeah, it starts strong and definitely has its moments. That any of it manages to work is pretty baffling, and they went well beyond that bar.

the one-liners are so joyously, stupidly dense

when the rich girl called now-hispanic Veronica “Frida Shallow” off the cuff in like the second or third episode I did an actual spit take

Really wanted to like Russian Doll but I kinda hated all the characters except for Natasha Lyonne’s, who was great. I tried to describe it to the missus and all I could come up with was “groundhog day but with self-absorbed new yorkers”.

The first episode was almost intriguing enough to get me to keep going but…

Of course, Legends of Tomorrow did the definitive groundhog day show so that might color my opinion as well.

You are definitely expected to hate some of the characters

I adored every character

the best way I can describe Riverdale – and someone else probably already has – is as, like, the millennial-Nancy equivalent of daytime TV

it is immensely enjoyable

even implausibly sexy Jughead works

If you enjoy Russian Doll, I recommend Search Party. Very different premise but both are the few “late 20s/30s aimless people in NYC” shows I can tolerate.

It’s one of those bizarre, barely advertised TBS shows that is way better than you’d expect. I’ve been meaning to write something about it since it got zero attention and people would probably love it if it were on a channel people watched.

I found that (and a Jason Schwartzman vehicle it strongly reminded me of) to be a bit too twee actually

and Russian doll is definitely not that

god though Natasha Lyonne is wasted on Fred Armisen

wow what? truly

this soundtrack is so good, even if half of it is just John Maus

i mean Nadia’s charming sure but idk about likeable

“Kids in America” on Riverdale > “Kids in America” in MGS5

man that second episode of russian doll plays with e groundhog day rules in ways that thre me off, 5/5 good tv

edit: huh something up with the parsing on the quote in the first tweet

killing miss Grundy in S02E01 of riverdale is like when they killed d’angelo in the wire

these Netflix encodes are shameful though, foh 2.5mbit 1080p

Into the Badlands fights are genuinely so fun and well choreographed that i don’t even mind the Proper Noun Fantasy world that looks like an adult version of the Canadian kids show The Oddysey

it gives me immense pain to say that jordan peele’s “weird city” is not really as funny or conceptually sharp as…idiocracy

like just as a practical matter it can’t be as racist or classist as that but it’s just…it’s got nothing to say?

every episode has all the benefits and problems of sketch comedy but the sketches are all an entire half an hour long

there is so much talent behind and in front of the camera that i love and the concept of a goofy funny anthology show with worldbuilding is so good

it’s not smart enough or stupid enough

i really wish it landed better for me

god there are so many good 15 second gags though

weird city is treehouse of horror but too much

a sci fi anthology series where every segment is only 15 seconds would be extremely good