TV Party (Part 1)

Watching The Expanse makes me extremely jealous that someone was able to trick someone into giving them millions of dollars to visualize their tabletop campaign

2 Likes

I’m immersed up to my eyeballs in the world of small-to-midsize US businesses and sometimes it is really exhausting.

OPA!

1 Like

The show’s obsessiveness with small details (except for every single one of its weekly montages, which are all too long by half) is really wonderful. The fidgety little details of property law gave me thrills.

It is the slowest burn.

And as someone who was 21 in the deserts of the American west in 2004, its function as a period piece does something for my soul.

(There was actually a sequence with the young film dorks a couple seasons back against an orange brick wall that had a shot that looked weirdly like a shot in a film I did cinematography for back in 2004 and it threw me for a minute.)

1 Like

I’m plugging my confusingly-named Expanse thread: The Expanse: Buttsteroid Miner Tycoon 3D

This latest season was good, but, wow was it way lower-stakes than seasons 1, 2, and 3. I liked the setting and the arc quite a bit, especially Amos’ material, but it definitely felt like this was part 1 of a much larger storyline they’re setting up, rather than any sort of self-contained thing.

next season is based on the best book in the series

Alex Garland’s Devs almost seems like a make good for Sonoya Mizuno’s role in Ex Machina and…I don’t what to think of it. It has lots of things I like: real solid lived-in peformances, beautiful, iconic set design, and a truly batshit wacky metaphysical premise that is almost embarrassing. This takes place in a much more “real” world than a Maniac or Legion. Maybe a Chris Nolan-ier Ex Machina? I dunno. In any case I look forward to seeing how far they are willing to take it

1 Like

i mean we already live in a lawless world where they brought back crank yankers so why not

4 Likes

Oh man. I’m still a fan of these guys, but I’m kinda bracing myself for embarrassment with this one.

definitely how i felt watching “with bob and david”

sketch comedy is such a tightrope

3 Likes

I couldn’t even watch the last two episodes of that. And there were only four.

that fucking jets-pats game on curb this week, I remember that catch

Altered Carbon season 2 got predictable and the fight scenes were Marvel-like in their cuts so I didn’t enjoy myself like I did with the first season, even with Poe being back. Far less male-gazey, though!

yeah, I was having the same experience trying to watch it just now, fell out by the end of the second episode

Critics liked it more though, which I guess is also predictable since the plot was “more understandable.”

The actual reality shows coming to Quibi sound like 30 rock sketches

Chrissy’s Court : Starring Chrissy Teigen, the show sees Teigen rule as a “judge” in small claims cases. Teigen’s mom will act as the bailif maintaining order in court. The show may sound goofy, but Teigen’s decisions are final.

Nikki Fre$h : Nicole Richie will use her alter ego, Nikki Fre$h to bring a new voice to wellness and music, making socially conscious tracks and educational songs about the world. Nikki Fre$h will meet with consciousness experts to learn ways to better serve our bodies and our planet.

Dishmantled: A cooking competition hosted by Tituss Burgess, each episode starts a cannon blasting a mystery food dish into the faces of two blindfolded chefs. The chefs will use their culinary prowess to identify the dish and then race to recreate it for a cash prize.

Gayme Show: Comedians Matt Rogers and Dave Mizzoni, Gayme Show is a comedic take on games shows that celebrates the LGBTQ+ community and its allies. Two straight contestants are paired with a celebrity “life partner” as they take on a series of challenges, competing for the title of “Queen of the Straights.” Celebrity guest stars include Ilana Glazer, D’Arcy Carden, Trixie Mattel, Jon Lovett, Nicole Byer, Rachel Bloom, and Guy Branam.

Murder House Flip: Flipping houses meets CSI as homes known for mysterious murders undergo big renovations. Home renovation experts Mikel Welch and Joelle Uzyel will work to turn the houses from morbid to marvelous.

8 Likes

Join us tonight after Wheel on America’s favorite gameshow, Destroying Evidence!

I mean, I’m for it

Wasn’t this basically an episode of Mike Tyson Mysteries?

2 Likes