Tom's Hardware of Finland

RIP AND TEAR!!!

1 Like

look

there’s absurd

and then there’s overkill

I do enjoy how comically large Threadripper is though

I should really play with manual memory timings and/or undervolting one of these days, I know my beloved 3570k ITX machine can hit 4.4/1600 rather than the 4.1/1333 it’s stable at with auto settings, but I haven’t needed it enough

this has less to do with wanting lower temps and more to do with the fact that AMD rushed out the platform and memory compatibility is notoriously finicky among boards. the board I grabbed can read XMP settings, but setting those will make it crash on post until it gives up. I got the advertised speed of the memory by loosening up the timings (if you read about Ryzen, you’ll find out that memory speed affects performance more than latency) and now things work.

at any rate, I had fun playing with it and getting things up and running

For those doing a lot of compili- OK, who am I kidding, so:

attn @felix, re ryzen&gcc
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1061546-postdays-0-postorder-asc-start-0.html

1 Like

yeah people sure are talking about this bug today aren’t they?

I’m not likely to buy an AMD CPU other than as part of a playstation 5 so it’s not going to affect me either way but it sure seems tailor-made to upset a vocal minority

also given that I run win10/arch and not gentoo I’m usually only running gcc about once a month for any given reason and it’s almost always something I shouldn’t even be bothering with

1 Like

basically describes the linux experience for me, but then i should write “never knows best” on my cigar computers ~~~

2 Likes

gnu’s not usable

1 Like

lol

I can’t even deal with BSD coreutils on OSX

meanwhile, Apple is still using AMD GPUs :frowning:

1 Like

they did cut the price on the no-touchbar version tho which needed doing

post-brexit pricing put the entire lineup firmly out of my price range so i hope my 2015 mac lasts lol

it’s worrying because every time i start to feel like win10 might be a half-decent alternative - they’ve made some really smart plays for people who read the orange website with wsl and babbys first tiling window manager stuff, i read something like this that reminds me of the biz model

yeah I’m not remotely surprised by any of that, win10 makes windows work without throwing out the core by being extremely paternalistic about group policy on regular users’ systems. I kind of don’t blame them (it’s been remarkably successful in some respects) but it’s still gross.

could be worse, you could be in canada, where you’re waiting for the price of oil to go up before buying another mac since that dictates most of your exchange rate

anyway they’re doing all the platform stuff they needed to do after catching enough heat since nov so here’s hoping there’s a 10nm/lpddr4 package ready for the no-touchbar MBP at some point before the end of 2018

lies, all lies

bumped back down to the last non-beta bios, auto DRAM timings, lower memory speed, 3.8 GHz clock on CPU

but let me tell you how much more stable I am

2 Likes

I’m still running my 2012 (non retina!) macbook, though no longer as my primary computer. It’s holding up but this is the longest I’ve gone without getting a new Mac and I’m feeling it. I built a PC last year for 3d graphics stuff, and after some tweaking windows doesn’t get in the way too much but it still feels gross to use. Still not sure what my next Mac will be, but hopefully they’ll have fully corrected course by then.

Those 120hz ipads look appealing but I don’t seeing myself doing anything actually substantial with them that would warrant a purchase.

it turns out I’m not very stable at all

let me take you on my wonderful journey into a 3-month old platform

every so often, I would get the hardest of crashes. I’m not talking like, Windows has blue screened. I mean, video off, GPU fan spins down, motherboard doesn’t respond to power switch, I have to cut off the computer at the power supply kind of crash. now, like any reasonable person, I’ve investigated a number of issues: it’s not the beta BIOS, since I got the crash on the latest stable release; it’s not the RAM, as it passed a runthrough of memtest and the system still crashed when clocked all the way down to base DDR4 spec. any overclocks aren’t the issue, my computer passes stability tests quite easily on its current speed and voltages. it’s not Windows, as I’ve just done a fresh install and have still gotten the crash.

current theory: my AMD motherboard is not jiving with my AMD GPU

:genki:

I’m currently testing this as I hoard video cards I still have a couple of Nvidia cards on hand and if it ends up working, well, let me tell you how prices on AMD GPUs have gone up thanks to the umpteenth mining boon

3 Likes

:waynestare:

so after I went down the checklist and hit up “replace PSU”, I have a goddamn epiphany: what if it was software doing it

I installed HWInfo 64 to give me CPU temps in my system tray and RTSS overlay. I never thought much of the fact that it had an issue starting up sensors of probing one of the MB sensors, but realized that maybe that’s bad. so out of idle curiousity, I check there forums and on top of any sort of conflict hitting that sensor up might cause, there’s also a bug that causes system crashes in the presence of ASMedia SATA or USB drivers. seeing as Ryzen and its chipsets are rather anemic on the 3.1 front, nearly every board has an ASMedia USB controller

fuck computers

1 Like

the worst

every time I do personal-desktop stuff I swear it’ll be the last time

luckily having a 3570K and an 8tflop GPU means it may actually be the last time

2 Likes

the joke here is that my last Intel board has an ASMedia controller on it

maybe I should stop buying Asus boards :thinking:

2 Likes