2 Likes

honestly it depends on when four cores really start to put my GPU to waste

sometime between 2021-2025

cries in 7700k

3 Likes

it’s okay friend, we welcome all lost souls to zen

let me tell you about how we still have working, secure SMT

bold, bold claim…
… let’s hope they can hold on for a while.

OK now for the computex disappointments thread:

Ice Lake seems like it’s basically only as good as current Iris after all that even if only Apple seems to have access to Iris parts at this point, and unless there’s a big IPC boost which is doubtful as Intel have failed to even mention that, it seems like the most substantial improvement before 2021 might be to battery life in getting a 15w part to behave like 28w.

Ryzen 3 is like… 25% more expensive than I was hoping? $400 for eight cores doesn’t seem super impressive at this point. the rest of the lineup is good but I don’t get the 3800

I dunno, but the 3700X is $329 for 8 cores at only 100mhz less boost clock for 30% less TDP.

I haven’t dug through any of the details, but I would guess that maybe the 3800X might be binned for overclockers.

*Also, these prices may not hold up as “street” prices. As it has been heavily rumored the 3600 non-X would be around $100

**Looks like AMD is claiming as good or better single core IPC than Intel. They claim in Cinebench, that a 4.4ghz 3700x part beats a 4.9ghz Intel 9700k by 1%. For less money.

And they have literally left the door open for an easy release of a 16 core part. As the 12 core is the only part to use two chiplets. The 8 core parts are on single, 8 core chiplets. So it seems they could easily do two 8 core chiplets for a 16 core part. What you got, Intel?!

1 Like

yeah, it’s just I still feel like x86 is in an “upgrade when you need to” situation at this point rather than being actually exciting like GPU compute or ARM, so being well into the $400 range still before I can get something that even triples performance for most workloads against a $200 2011-2012 CPU is not quite where I wanted to be, whereas at least on notebooks we’ve gone from dual core with relatively low clocks to quad core and desktop equivalent clocks

seems like the way to go is just get one of these 3700x things, then around 2022 if intel has finally sorted its shit out and pci 5.0 and ddr5 exist by then and are worth getting I can pass the thing on to my sibling. I’m sick of waiting and just want to get down to itx size already and want to have more than a couple browser tabs open before my memory disappears and want to watch 4k movies

1 Like

RAM prices are coming down too!

man you can do that with a 100 buck chip and 50 bucks of ram

fuck yeah, even ITX X570 boards have chipset fans

all hail our new multicore overlords

3 Likes

Ice Lake seems… OK.

28w for 4.1ghz and 1.1tflops is still pretty high at this point so I can see why Apple is jumping ship even without considering process delays, and the IPC improvements they’re quoting seem to be more about notebook thermals than anything else, which is more along the lines of the mid-generation improvements of Haswell and Kaby. As someone who finally gave up and got a Coffee Lake Iris machine last week I’m mostly just annoyed about my LPDDR3 and yet doubling the memory bandwidth seems to have pretty little effect. And the integrated TB3 stuff only seems to matter if high end light notebooks had anyone to compete with on price, which is the one product category where Intel is still totally unchallenged.

oh and the rest of the industry is adopting one of apple’s worst decisions again

Microsoft Surface with a Switch dock for gaming when

Microsoft Xbox Surface announcement at E3 2019 book it

1 Like

They need to quit messing around and put Iris in everything. Desktop chips and laptop chips. They’ve been flaunting the 2x graphics improvement as if it were an across the board change. But Iris is still only available in a select few pieces, which most people will never come across. and that’s how its been for years.

1 Like

And you know they are really scrambling, since they didn’t even release a list detailing individual models. And this is in a sector (mobile) which they still own. Hilarious.

I think a Surface Pro 7 design with USB-C ports has been floating around. If that’s thunderbolt then you’ve got your dock.

they were basically heading in that direction circa haswell, it’s just the whole 14nm/krzanich era that was really really disappointing and meted out in small bits here and there

Hmm what’s the prospect of Intel hexacore lagging when the new consoles come out?

I wish AMD could pull some GPU magic out of their hat, gdi, I’m going to get a used 1080 ti at this rate