Tom's Hardware of Finland

it’s interesting

These days the control panel toggle (‘Enable HDR’) is effective if you flip it before launching games (earlier, I ended up restarting as settings got stuck). I’ve had it dual-monitor between a PC monitor and HDR TV and it absolutely positively hates that; lately I’ve just left the monitor cable unplugged as it’s easier.

There’s an outstanding bug where desktop alerts drawn on top of fullscreen, HDR-enabled programs bug the color space – for example, changing windows volume and getting the widget, or a notification coming in on top of an HDR game. Generally alt-tabbing fixes this but there are cases where it leaves non-HDR rendering borked (in super-saturated color space) and only a system reset fixes it.

Getting non-HDR programs to look correct in HDR mode is tough; color tends to look a bit faded as my TV seems to be expected saturation to come natively. Combined with those bugs, I tend to leave HDR off until I run an HDR program.

But it’s 95% stable to just flip the HDR toggle before running an HDR game, and that’s a world better than it was before. And HDR is such a massive visual upgrade on a proper display that it’s well worth the hassle.

1 Like

I’ve pretty much left this toggle on with exactly this setup for the past year or so and I’ve only had a problem with DMC5 starting with broken colours on the non-HDR display until I alt tab away from it once, and Sekiro running at 15FPS for no reason. not bad really!

Maybe I should try again; it was either 1 or 2 major Windows revisions past when I just gave up on this.

I got paranoid last month and got a plastic wrap thing for my 2016 MBP to try to protect it from dust (although the only problem I ever had was the T key being incredibly noisy for a few months until it cleared up on its own)

1 Like

yeah I’ve heard the polyurethane things are actually worth it and don’t hurt the key travel for that matter

still desperately hoping that Apple ships another revision along with ice lake by like August but we’ll see

1 Like

couple of G.Skill ram 32Gb (2x16) ram deals. timings could be tighter. But its overall a good deal for the amount and speeds.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232418&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-ed-Future%20Publishing%20Ltd--na--na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=12920453&PID=8900246&SID=tomshardware-

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820232740&Description=3600C19D-32GVRB&cm_re=3600C19D-32GVRB--20-232-740--Product

I bought Apple airpods for listening to podcasts while walking my dog, but I think I’ll return them. They’re uncomfortable and I do find absence of noise-cancelling unbearable even for a semi-noisy environment (I hate how an occasional car going by drowns out 3 seconds of what I’m listening to).

I just ordered Sony WI1000X/B neckbuds – I’ll suck up the micro-USB charging as it might be years before a noise-cancelling + USB-C combination appears.

Yeah I have some noise cancelers from Audio Technica and their cancellation is so good, its tough to deal with regular headphones, outside of the house.

1 Like

So, who at work has worked with Huawei before?

Just asking, and wondering silently who’s next in line for being strangled…

Macbook refresh on the same day my favourite Linux distro announced it’s ending lol

since they definitely won’t give us 10nm this year at this rate looks like I gotta do it

really

Antergos

goddammit, that was going to be the Arch distro I was going to try out

BACKSTORY: I found a Thinkpad X220 (“found”) (it missed my work’s e-recycling bin by a bit and I asked if I could take it and I’m buddies with the loading dock security folks) and now I’m just using it to probably distrohop like an ashsole. I’ve got Pop OS on it now but I wanted to try something not Debian/Ubuntu-based

I guess I’ll get really drunk and summon Gentoo onto the drive

1 Like

you can still install with manjaro and then just change your sources to reflect upstream arch (manjaro stages everything whereas antergos was just arch + a nice installer + additional sources) which is 99% comparable but I always liked antergos’ UEFI customizations and such a little better

but I was already looking forward to getting extremely drunk and invoking Gentoo

I will say that sounds good because the idea of a rolling distro appeals to me, having messed around with Solus and openSuse Tumbleweed in the past

1 Like

I’ll avoid talking about the Gentoo founder but it’s not exactly a coincidence that the wiki has been overtaken by /b/

I can’t speak to the distro itself as I haven’t used it since 2008.

yeah but Deb and Ian are still divorced so what’s the baseline there

I already know that Gentoo is the domain of the /g/ meme squad and honestly I’m kind of joking because from what I’ve gathered, it’s more useful to do Linux From Scratch than something like Gentoo for learning the in and outs

Oh no what happened to gentoo

Now that I have a fancy new graphics card, what recent-gen games should I play on it?

RE2make?

Earth Defense Force 4.1

Supraland

MGS5

Superhot

Pray 2

Doom 2016

the new Woflensteins

AC: Odyssey

Dirt 4

Dreamfall: Chapters

I’m always a Battlefield fan

People seem to like Apex Legends

Sekiro

Emulate Breath of The Wild in Cemu and crank teh graphix. BSOD gaming on youtube, has the best BoTW Cemu videos to learn how to use it and also to see what’s possible. There are mods, too. You can play the entire game as Zelda, with every single piece of armor/clothing modded to look appropriate.

This is a pretty great total conversion/new content mod for Skyrim

Use Reshade on everything. Reshade is full of all kinds of great shaders. You can go heavy handed or tasteful. Here’s what I did with Dark Souls 3.

and its very easy to use nowadays. No more alt-tabbing or quitting and reloading. It now injects a real time interface, so you can tweak and see the changes update. Its even better now, than when I made that DS3 preset.

There’s a new shader out by Mcfly, which adds path traced screen space global illumination, reflections, and ambient occlusion (its hardware agnostic), all at once. Its super tweakable, so the results vary, depending on how much care you take. It also seems to depend on how much the original game actually does with depth based and screenspace lighting *its currently a patreaon pay option. But will be free and part of reshade, in like a month. Here are some video examples:

and some screens

Summary

2 Likes

I really enjoyed wolfenstein: the new order so maybe I’ll move onto its sequels