Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

That’s still pretty Gene-y in that meshes perfectly with City on the Edge of Forever’s concept of good deeds having bad broad consequences.

1 Like

That is definitely what they were trying to do. All of those meals in the Captains mess with T’Pol, Trip and Archer definitely showcases that concept.

You are also dead on about Voyager being all over the place with people from episode to episode. Still love Voyager, but definitely a strange one.

I am terrified about Discovery, I just hope it feels like Star Trek. I have many doubts though.

hey, apropos of nothing, why does Piccard even like Dixon Hill novels? everytime he’s in a scenario, he’s act’s clueless and doesn’t even seem to like it? it’s like how i imagine me playing Skyrim, i guess

2 Likes

tbh were the dixon hill episodes only in the first two seasons? I can’t remember a single one of them and I didn’t bother to rewatch the first two seasons when I did my big star trek rewatch

yeah i think so, i’m rewatching all of TNG now

yea i think a big problem with enterprise is they kept trying to make trip, t’pol and archer happen as the Bro Trio when Shran, Flox and Archer would have been way better

I kept wanting to like Reed but they never did anything interesting with him. Also Mayweather’s back story is really interesting (he grew up on a space cargo ship that could only go at warp 1 or something like that.) But then they never do anything particularly interesting with it, and he just becomes like generic but likable crew member no. 6

It’s a good metaphor for the show, actually, as Enterprise totally squanders any promise it had of depicting cool and interesting things about the early years of space travel and exploration, and then only gets semi good once they give up and decide to basically just become televised star trek fan fiction explaining the origins of random meaningless bits of lore

The one mayweather specific episode had a more interesting premise and dynamic than the actual main show.

My life is basically alternating between angry or horny, so I related.

4 Likes

This made me giggle

1 Like

I like T’Pol for no reason other than my inner weebo insatiable desire for waifu. It’s the only reason I can find at least looking objectively at myself. Tulpa is dead on with how Blalock plays T’Pol, but at the end of the day for me, she is a serviceable Vulcan. She do the logic thing and tells Archer to not be so damn human some times. It’s not new or great but I end up liking it all the same.

Catching the reruns on now, I find I have little tolerance for holodeck shenanigans episodes in general. I want to see stars get trekked, not them fudging around playing Sherlock Holmes or whatever else and the technobabbling around the inevitable malfunction that means they are in Real Danger.

Bashir’s 007 fantasy episode gets a pass because Garak was there the whole time basically nitpicking about how espionage does not work that way.

3 Likes

Ideal Fanfic Voyager ship that finally makes it home would be covered in alien mods to the point where you could barely tell what was going on and the main crew would be Naomi Wildman, Miral Paris, Icheb, one of Janeway and Paris’s Lizard Babies, Amelia Earhart, Tuvok, Holographic Satan’s Robot with an emitter, and an aging Harry Kim who is still an ensign

7 Likes

I saw the season 2 opener of DS9 last night. Decent enough, but I felt like Sisko is the most boring Captain.

it’s OK, I’ve always been in the “want to believe people when they say DS9 is the best but find it unwatchable compared to TNG” camp

So @eddoe I disagree in that Sisko is about the only captain that is his own. Kirk is just Buck Rogers held back by a crew, Picard is more of an idea than a man, until you get to the movies where he’s space rambo held back by a crew, Janeway is defined more by circumstance than her charcter which is fine but not as compelling, and Archer just can’t compare.

Sisko is the only Captain that routinely follows his own core that leads him to constantly go against or ignore Star fleet in some fashion, work with or against the Cardassians, Klingons, Romulans, Bajorans, ect. throughout the show. He’s the only one that’s a parent, I mean I know Kirk had a kid, but he was never a parent. Also there’s something to be said for the fact that he hates Picard, there is no other relationship like that in the lore of Star Trek, I’m fairly convinced that Sisko would find an excuse to kill Picard if not for the uniform.

I mean your taste is your taste, but if you’re only on Season 2 hopefully he’ll grow on you. Because unlike every other captain, most of what I’m pointing to comes later.

@Felix If you can push through the first 2 seasons of TNG, I don’t see how you can look at DS9 and find it unwatchable.

3 Likes

What if I skipped the first two seasons of TNG?

3 Likes

For one thing, you’d really fail to appreciate season five episode sixteen of LA Law.

2 Likes

This is why I like TNG and Star Trek in general. It’s OK to be symbolic and idealistic. Picard is fundamentally good. He is an ideal. It’s comforting to watch the senior officer board meeting after every issue because of how goddamn functional the team is. That’s not to say Picard is without conflict - he hates Wesley so much, he wants to let the volcano kid die out of principle, he gets court marshaled over his record of comprising the letter of the prime directive, etc. But TNG is something to believe in! It’s a time skip to the end of history.

I suspect there may be something to the DS9/TNG split that reveals what you want from Star Trek. (The captains “debate” is about what criteria make the best captain, not measuring the captains against like criteria.)

4 Likes

you’d get to the good stuff.

Totally! I mean. I’m a huge Star Trek Nerd, just DS9 is the tops in my mind. But TNG is a great show, they’re all great shows.
I think you’re onto something with the divides but I think the best stories show ideals and the consequences of those ideals. I think that’s the thing beyond the captains TNG just jumps from idea to idea every episode starts near fresh. DS9 is living with those ideals, it shows there’s a cost a toll. It’s grounded more by one being a station and one being a Star Ship. Hell you could argue Sisko’s hate of Picard stems from that, Picard was licutius (i’m sure I spelled that wrong) there is no forgiveness, because actions have consequences. But not when you fly away every time.

We really could use a new Start Trek TV show. OR 5 kill all the NCIS shows and give me a new rung of Star Treks.

1 Like