Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

https://twitter.com/devincf/status/756968824402907136

That’s such a nonsensical reading of transporters. Do you also die every single time you lose consciousness?

It’s certainly a nonsensical reading in a universe brimming over with just-needs-the-right-science space magic

I’m still not clear on the true nature of the TV show, and I’m not convinced the people involved are either. My guess is that they’re angling for maximum ambiguity until they map out audience reactions and desires, which is why it’s not not an anthology series.

seems to happen in most of my dreams, yeah

most philosophies of mind are bullshit i’m pretty sure

i think the ship is an ugly design and i hope that is not how the cg looks in the show cuz ENT looked better 15 years ago

ACTUALLY, Tulpa, I’ve consulted with a real fan, and according to the Star Fleet Technical Manual, human grade transporters are quantum imaging devices that take a snapshot of all subatomic activity in a body, as opposed to “cargo transporters” which merely image molecular data.

If a person was transported in a cargo transporter they would arrive brain-dead.

So shows what you know!

4 Likes

I’m sure someone wanted the Ralph McQuarrie Enterprise but I have no idea who

gotta say star wars rebels is a far superior application of “dig out the old mcquarrie designs”

1 Like

if this whole thing is somehow full on brown and beige 1970s TMP era fashions and hairstyles then i change my mind and the ship is great

1 Like

Mcquarrie always fit better with star wars aesthetic than with star trek

1 Like

welp, just had what i assume is a massive plot point of this movie spoiled for me in an unskippable ad before another video, so… there’s that i guess

Who’s seen the new movie? It went BEYOND my expectations! In that it was actually pretty good. It had some hilariously over the top sections, but overall I think it really brought together some of what the new movies have been lacking, SPACE POLITICS.

ok maybe i just couldn’t figure out how to do it, cos i’m not all smart like you

anyway, nbd i guess. it’s just that i had heard the latest trailer revealed too much and for once in my life had actually gone out of my way to avoid it wasn’t really paying attention anyway, but sort of glad idris elba’s beautiful face isn’t going to be buried under makeup for the whole movie i guess

everyone who likes this movie seems to be a TNG fan

Surprising given the last two but I want to believe

it was pretty dope. complain about repeated Enterprise destructions but this one was totally the best version of that. Justin Lin knows his way around some thrilling action set pieces.

I will say though that I am really tired of the same old plots being rehashed over and over, three times now (at least): “psycho loner with a grudge against Starfleet.” come up with something more thought provoking, please!!

They ought to do one of the Kelvin Kirk movies with Klingons as the antagonists and make it an Ultima VI quest for peace plot.

So BEYOND features Sofia Boutella and she doesn’t murder a single person with her legs, just throws a few kicks in self defense.

Between this and all the dong left unhung I’m starting to think Hollywood is deliberately neglecting my demo!

Discovery has a woman captain who might not be fully human and at least one openly gay character :+1:

it’s also set ten years before TOS, and maybe some element of section 31… :grimacing:

2 Likes

also confirmed normal timeline and not JJverse

1 Like