Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

Stamets is really feeling the anti-depressant effect of those space mushrooms, huh.

I love that he is literally galactic brain.

1 Like

laughed pretty hard at Rainn’s Q-like “mon capi-tan”. i really like him playing a weird cartoon villain, but never saw the original mudd in a original context, so i guess it didn’t bother me as much that he just offed people a bunch in the context of time-looping. (though it did feel a bit much to take a quick detour of the plot to show the many brutal kills of capt. lorca)

also i just figured out that capt. lorca’s actor also played lucious malfoy in the harry potter movies? now i can’t not see it.

the “Stamets acts like he’s on psychedelic mushrooms all the time” thing, after being post-spore aug is really funny to me, hope they keep it consistent

this felt like a nice traditional star trek, i’m liking this show more.

2 Likes

Boy howdy did I enjoy this one. Love that this show is reeling it back from the alarms-blaring explosion-packed hellstorm of the early eps. The scene with Stamets dancing with Michael while they talked was one of my favorites of the show so far.

I wanna see more of Mudd’s wife and father-in-law.

1 Like

IMG_20171101_145317

@tulpa your thoughts plz

3 Likes

what a disappointment. They did not seek true horniness but only the signifiers of horniness. But what lies beneath the awkward 90s tv bonner? What lies beneath?

4 Likes

No but for real though “Justice” doesn’t even make the bracket?

Yar_learns_of_Edo_punishment

8 Likes

Damn. Stamets was just one jump away from retirement

The Discovery Mid-Season whatchamacallit was probably the most Discovery episode ever. Exciting, narratively propulsive, trying to prove we’re for grownups, interesting science problems to fix, goofy plot holes for the sake of getting from point b to point x

I’m glad that Cornwell is alive, even if at the end I think they sent her broken body off on a real slow shuttle for no reason solely she wouldn’t be a factor in wherever they ended up

Speaking of which did they even have the 11 hrs to transmit the cloak stuff to Starfleet before they left?

Was very glad to have Klingons speaking a lot of English so they could actually act a little bit

Still can’t really get invested in any of them besides L’Rell somewhat

The Klingons altogether were just poorly conceived and executed.

Hoping like how Enterprise retconned their bad vulcans to be a cultural issue the same thing happens here. Like just to fanfic spitball, after the Klingons started looking human they were so disgusted they went through extreme genetic engineering to “Become Klingon Again” and now they’re shrieking, humorless, torturing, human eaters who pile dead bodies up in random places

Tyler’s PTSD and relationship with L’Rell is weird because in my head it can never really fully land without the “is he Voq” thing. Like was he surgically turned into a human or was that just torture? Is Tyler a real guy and Voq is just waiting inside his brain like a parasite waiting to awaken? Is the Voq thing not even a thing and they did all that weird set up with him going to visit the Mysterious Klingon Ladies Who Can Do Anything for nothing? I guess I’m supposed to be taking Tyler’s sexual trauma seriously while thinking about them filming the scene with those Klingon boobs hanging out I just…this show is something

Look the idea of Klingons being these deadly warriors has been goofy ever since TOS made them somewhere around evenly matched with anyone in bar fights and TNG made Worf getting beat up “proof” of how strong someone else was to the degree where you wondered if he was ever any good . I guess the DS9 speech about how deadly humans are without their creature comforts kinda is a nice patch/retcon over this sort of but man Klingons are not that great at fighting but the Burnham fight just…If they’re gonna have these dudes covered in prosthetics and body armor show how cool they are in a knife fight then go hire a Super Sentai suit actor from Japan or something

Anyhow…even though the fights are about exactly as well choreographed as TNG, the rhythm and the actors and editing really made the spore jump/infiltration/fight really extremely exciting. Find it hilarious that Lorca’s eye condition medically requires him to walk away from an explosion in slow motion

I guess it looks like Lorca might have made them jump to Wherever on purpose, I’m assuming.

Cause he was scared Cornwell would take his ship away?

Would be real dumb if they were in the mirror universe but we’ll see.

Glad Culber and Stamets actually kissed and seemed to actually have an extant relationship beyond snark this episode even if the writers are blowing it up in slow motion I guess

What a weird show

4 Likes

It blows my mind there are people down on Avery Brooks! Check out this video of him answering Shatner’s question with a Coltrane piece’s title. Shatner doesn’t have any clue what’s going on.

God, that’s cool. His playacting style is super overwrought but that’s great, that’s his character and it works for DS9, which is the best Star Trek by the way. DS9 is where they tell a huge, proper story with Star Trek universe and uses it to make solid and realistic characters, like Garak. DS9 tackles all sorts of rare sci-fi topics that had nerds pissing their pants, like single black fathers and an arc about religion that wasn’t about killing it.

I haven’t seen a lick of Enterprise but I heard that it was shaping up to be good and then 9/11 happened and they zeitgeisted it into being about the Taliban. Is ISIS in STD lol

4 Likes

Well,

:yikesghost:

3 Likes

Ine season the plot started out as space 9/11 and then turned into a very Star Trek ‘wait, we have a lot in common we shouldn’t fight’. And then the season after that has pretty much wall to wall Jeffrey Combs and good trek fun.

3 Likes

Sleazy, I swear to god, you had to go and spoil this weird-ass twist like a month in advance for me. You and, of all places, the Achewood Star Trek fangroup on Facebook. Every other nook and cranny of the internet kept this stuff under wraps. TUMBLR was better at not dedicating their best minds to diffusing this mild twist in Star Trek.

This one was good, but yeah, like Sleazy said, it’s Discovery as all hell, good and bad. The hallway-to-hallway action is blah and awkward, and the ship stuff is too brief and frantic to really keep tabs on, but it’s all rendered in incredible detail. Kol is like the most cartoonishly evil villain in Star Trek since the Nemesis guy, which is really really odd in a show of grays like this. I am like completely done with this first-episode-onward arc of Michael’s, but Stamets is wonderful, the captain’s finally getting interesting, I like Ash, Tilly is consistently great, so it’s all gravy there.

Klingon stuff could not be less interesting, again, because they’re such TOS-level mustache-twirling baddies. There were all these implications in the first episode that they had this weird and fascinating culture that humans had no understanding of, with ships built with incredibly intricate detail sculpted into the hull and the interiors, but nope, they’re flesh-eating all space orcs with piles of rotting dead bodies just laying around.

Tone is all over the place, too. I loved the first half, with all the political/captaining stuff with Lorca dismissing Starfleet’s orders, to them all rearing up for their daring plan, to the battle, then BAM when they’re on the ship, they’re immediately funneled into that room with all the stacked bodies, where they sit and stay for latter half the episode while Ash goes through horrific Saw flashbacks. So now all the momentum is slowed to a stop and we’re all focusing on how fucked up Ash is, while the action outside is cutting to the Discovery warping all around the Sarcophagus, doing something they never actually got around to explaining, while Stamets is like on the electric chair. Then on to Michael challenging Kol to a fucking knife fight, which is definitely really classic Star Trek, but felt so enormously out of place in THIS show. I mean, I’d love to embrace the shlocky parts like you would for Voyager, but the surrounding show is usually really good and dramatic, so, it’s weird to have goofy moments like this.

I think one of the tradeoffs they made with putting in such a dark, violent, brooding storyline and moving at such a tense forward pace, is that you don’t get room to breathe and enjoy it. Statmets dancing with Michael in the time loop ep was probably the last time I really felt like this show was taking some time to enjoy the world its built.

It feels like Saru, Tilly, Statments, Culber and even Lorca are in one show, where they have these 9-to-5 episodic adventures foiling Mudd every week, whereas Michael, Cornwell, Kol, L’Rell, and Ash are in a completely different shakey-cam 24 hell war infinity show that never fucking slows down or takes a breather as they barrel uncontrollably and helplessly into their next disastrous decision.

Yeah, it’s weird.

2 Likes

Oh, and my theory on L’Rell is that she was in love with Vok before he agreed to go through the procedure to change him into a human. She then regularly, in her eyes, made love with him to ease the horror of being turned into this alien, and to “heal” him somehow after causing him mind-breaking pain in the surgery.

I don’t think she’s got a thing for humans, she’s got a thing for Vok.

I’m putting my money on Captain Lorca being from the mirror universe. He has a clear interest in finding his way to another universe. He seemingly had a 180 in his personality from earlier in his life. When he typed in the alternate coordinates for the spore jump he said “We’re going home” ominously.

Combine that with leak that we’re getting a mirror universe episode, and I think the clues fit for him to be the double of a character we haven’t met the ‘normal’ version of.

Which would be pretty cool.

5 Likes

WHUT?

2 Likes

Star Trek: Spock Fucks

3 Likes

avery brooks delivering tarantino dialogue would be ideal

7 Likes

LDSF: Let Data Say Fuck

4 Likes

Picard and crew go back in time to the summer of '69 babayy

apparently my memory of Captain’s Holiday was completely fabricated–i thought picard went on a big treasure hunting adventure on the resort planet, only for it to be revealed that it was just a scripted thing to entertain him since the staff could see he was bored

i’m not sure where i got that from but it rules

anyway kylie is sick so we’ve been binging tng today, it’s really nice. we both cried at The Offspring, oops