Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

I’m reminded of that great moment between Martok, Sisko, and Admiral Ross in the final episode fulfilling their prior promise to drink to their victory on Cardassia Prime. As they’re standing in the ruins surrounded by corpses Martok’s all pumped but Sisko and Ross are just put off, pour out their drinks and leave, as Martok kind of annoyed mutters basically “Fucking humans, go figure.” in Klingon.

2 Likes

I feel like the actors on Discovery so far are talented enough to carry a kind of emotional truth to what’s going on (well I mean the Klingon’s can’t really do much but that’s not their fault) but all the elements feel like they’re being dragged along randomly to get from point A to point X, point X being a Gritty, Unconventional, Complex Protagonist™ at the cost of character motivations making much sense. That said, multiple characters having any motivation whatsoever from the jump is a big improvement over Enterprise. It is nice to be reminded that they can afford alien looking aliens and it’s nice to have a TV trek story with a pretty big budget in general. If they got anything in particular right it’s the actual rhythms of Trek problem solving and exploration (moreso than the movies I guess) which is interesting to see at this scope and in this style. I feel like everything I’m saying is kinda pointless since we haven’t really met the Discovery crew and seen how they actually interact with each other also I really hope the Daft Punk robo has an indepth character arc. Also they didn’t have to go full Golden Harvest but damn seeing Yeoh shot, edited, and choreographed in a fight like that was painful.

Still honestly cracking up at the intro showing all those Important But Elegant Science Numbers on the hand doing the Vulcan salute.

Also fun reminder that T’Kuvma was this guy

2 Likes

I can’t help it I sing that like three times a week

Truly prophetic

man thanks for reminding me this character was in there

i’d like to think they’d come back but considering the ship got totally wrecked in that klingon battle i wasn’t sure if they survived?

TNG is Thirty Years Old today so it’s time to properly refilm all the scenes of alternate realities where they’re old with the actual actors tbh

2 Likes

one of the worst ideas I’ve ever followed through on was saying “beverly” in patrick stewart’s voice to someone at the moment of orgasm

5 Likes

love 2 have sensual challenges with sexy walkin milfs in my family submarine

7 Likes

Rewaching the reruns has highlighted to me how kind of insane and callous this makes Starfleet come off. Even the basic peaceful exploratory stuff constantly runs into dangerous shit, to say nothing of when they’re directly called in to stare down Romulans up to shenanigans in the neutral zone and shit, but sure, bring the kids! It’ll be fun. You even get the episode when Data makes his daughter and the one admiral is specifically adamant about taking her due to the dangers of being on the ship and losing both androids.

1 Like

I dunno, there’s something idealistic about bringing children on dangerous space exploration voyages, like this is the way to help them grow and flourish + children cement family ties which are invaluable in extreme environments and dangerous situations where trust and solidarity is paramount. Very nomad-culture.

1 Like

The family thing always struck me as being included to underscore that the Enterprise wasn’t a battleship. I thought that was cool as a weird kid watching it. Never liked Wesley though. I wish they had kept running gag of him soaking Picard through the doors of the holodeck. That happened at least twice, right?

And holy smokes, I had never read those character descriptions before Sleezy mentioned Crusher’s walk a couple posts back. Those are not good.

One of the local secondary digital stations shows one episode of every series in order, every night, and I just missed seeing if they included that mega racist TNG episode from the first season in their rotation. I remember watching it as a kid, but haven’t seen it since. Despite the better camera work, there was some evil forces at play during those early episodes.

I just caught wind of a rad spinoff novel about what Gary Seven and the retired air force pilots from Tomorrow is Yesterday were doing on 9/11. I should probably write you cats a book report once I find it.

1 Like

part of the early episodes of TNG being so bad was because there was a writer’s strike in 87 and they had to use unproduced scripts for the failed 70s revival from like, gene roddenberry’s attic

pretty sure that was why tasha yar got killed by the sludge monster

That weird feeling of Phase II leftovers is probably why I’ve found myself digging revisiting early TNG despite it not being what I grew to like about TNG.

That one where Riker wears the silk shirt on the reverse sexism planet was just on, and that totally felt like someone trying to write a TOS style episode in the late 80s, cultural progress be damned.

The strike is the whole reason the exploding head bugs got canned and replaced by the Borg (created by the creator of Baywatch Nights) too. They send that beacon out at the very end of that episode, and all the mentions of missing colonies in later episodes were supposed to tie into that originally. Which is a bummer because Conspiracy rules.

2 Likes

The name “Gary Seven” predicted spam emails from mysteriously named strangers way back when

1 Like

I mean it’s certainly idealistic but of a kind that I find a bit questionable. Although I suppose ultimately it’s less on Starfleet and more on the individuals who decide to bring their families along for the ride.

@LaurelSoup
Yeah, Planet of the Black People is there.

1 Like

Well, think of it like this: these voyages might take much longer than 9 months, what happens if crew bang and get pregnant? The structure of the ship has to allow for children and families.

can they transporter babies out

2 Likes

Birth control? Though apparently they do some sort of periodic voluntary business because Sisko was all “Oh shit I forgot to visit Bashir this month” when Cassidy told him she was pregnant. Though with medical gear that are basically magic wands that heal cuts and mend bones, you’d think a getting/reversing a vasectomy or something would be extra simple. And Voyager aside, they don’t seem to be actually out to space for that long a period, they apparently go back and forth from the frontier to interior worlds and starbases regularly.

Though if all starship crews act like the ones we often see featured, Starfleet’s biggest baby headache might be a bunch of angry aliens complaining about deadbeat dads.

1 Like

o’brien’s kid on deep space nine and the baby on voyager were both teleported out of the womb for health reasons

8 Likes

Just had the thought of someone developing a routine that transports people’s skeletons out of their bodies…