Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

Oh. I mean, that could be hypothetically insightful, the “work twice as hard for half as much” type thing.

Guaranteed this will not be explored, or if so, embarrassingly terribly

i mean it’s 2256 we don’t have wars or disease or capitalism i hope this has nothing to do with anything except i guess based on her backstory as a human she probably had to work twice as hard to be treated half as vulcan wait oh no

wait actually a hammy allegory for present day politics is what i’m here for so

1 Like

The time we live in is so miserable that utopianism is a political position.

1 Like

i think i’m gonna have to do a podcast or write reviews about this show because i’m gonna have the most opinions

5 Likes

I will be on this podcast spilling all my star trek opinions

but yes this is the subtext of my glass ceiling joke. The previous series could just be straight up utopian (or even complicated utopian a la DS9) but this new one is shaping up to be prestige tv dross so its going to be all the most irksome centrist liberal politics of stereotyped tng but without any of the actual effort to say that yes humanity will overcome all of its problems and actually aspire to be good instead of merely not bad.

I don’t know how they managed to dehype me so fast when I was totally on board with this show when it was announced.

3 Likes

Just watch it and root for the Klingon fundamentalist terrorists

but their designs suck so much

I know I’m almost impressed by how bad they look

Like, that took WORK. They are worse than the urban Klingons that show up for like two seconds in Into Darkness!

oh man i forgot about jamahl epsicokhan from jammer’s reviews

he’s totally reviewing discovery (and the orville)

http://www.jammersblog.com/2017/09/06/discovery-and-orville-plans/

even when my opinions didn’t line up with his he always had interesting things to say

i’m more nostalgic for the idea of chasing trek episodes with his reviews than trek in general at this point?

2 Likes

when I was watching all of star trek in order, I usually kept his reviews close at hand to read what he thought of episodes. Same, I often disagreed with him but I liked what he wrote.

2 Likes

In those design documents, they straight up say that they’re going for a Muslim art inspired look for [this group of] Klingons.

I can’t remember if I complained about this in this thread already or not…

it’s on tv (for the last time?) in like ten minutes EST

genuinely hilarious how 2010s PRESTIGE DRAMA the opening is

2 Likes

Caught a bit of this tonight and at least visually, the Mass Effect vibes are p uncomfortably strong

1 Like

hey, at least it’s not westworld bad

in the long run I have to pay to watch this, right?

I guess this is an ecologically conscious federation that makes sure to keep all lights off even when people are in a room

3 Likes

the klingons are literally muslim space orcs and it is so ill conceived.

2 Likes

i’m friends with the sister of the guy who does titles for like westworld and the marvel shows and all the rest and everyone’s always posting on her fb like ‘wow i love what your brother did here’ and it’s something

more seriously, the akiva goldsman midas touch of shit might be the thing that kills this show more than anything else. It’s ideologically confused, pandering and filled with schlocky b-movie dialogue and ill defined motivations.

why are the klingons so intent on starting a war, to the point that they reject all peace efforts?
How did Michael become a 1st officer when she has displayed a complete lack of good judgment every step of the way? Why does she never actually use logic except to trick a computer once? Her actual literal argument for firing on the klingons had something to do with them surrounding their ships with caskets. I don’t really feel like it’s woke to make a black woman main character completely xenophobic and gung ho even if its supposed to lead to some sort of character development (How does one even develop this temperament if they grew up not only in the federation, but on Vulcan?!) I feel like this is more Enterprise Vulcans than TOS vulcans.

2 Likes

xerxesfront

Maybe they should reconsider copying character designs from a far-right racist

2 Likes