Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

Except it didnt because it came out after the star trek that had arcs and continuity. They just fucked up by trying to reclaim kitschy adventure of the week space without any ideas for good weekly adventures.

1 Like

Yeah. DS9 went a bit too far the other way so they went back to what was still-conventional-wisdom.

Thinking of the much better balance struck between arc and monster-of-the-week struck by Evangelion, it reminds me of why anime felt so fresh and compelling in the 90s. Nowadays this fine balancing act has become routine on the better-written TV shows.

I think I preferred DS9’s balance between plot arcs and non-arcs to modern shows actually. Everything nowadays is so oppressively arc-heavy and dependent on binge watching

The main drawback to old Star Trek series is that there were simply too many episodes. DS9 had overall far less episodes that I would ever consider cutting but it is not hard to cut TNG to about half its length just keeping the ‘basically decent’ and better episodes.

You could probably watch all the good episodes of Voyager in a single evening if someone were to curate that list. (I might give it a shot)

3 Likes

I would actually be less inclined to trim the fat from TNG than many other shows, the hangoutitude is just so strong

1 Like

I don’t consider hangoutitude to be fat (after all, I heavily expanded that list from the start of the thread because I thought way more TNG episodes were worth keeping than most folks)

well, OK, but given that you still think more than half of TNG episodes aren’t necessarily worth watching?

I think it’s at least 2/3 good or even great (from season 3 onward at least) which is astronomical for star trek

As someone who is an immense fan of both I really struggle to understand the comparison of DS9 to Eva, they are going for wildly different things.

Star Trek Discovery will…have a desert

2 Likes
1 Like

You know, I kind of like the way it looks even though the design of the Klingons is both inexplicable and inexplicably bad

At this point I am cautiously optimistic, before the trailer I was beginning to wonder if this would ever even get released

It’s the Inner Desert.

Where you seek the Lord and so find solace from those weirdass klingon domes.

They turned them into Babylon 5s?

I think 2017 needs a TOS-style social commentary Trek, but I don’t think there’s an elegant way to pull that off these days.

Stargate SG-1 tried, and it was pretty hokey.

They’re really leaning into the racist ‘aliens as ethnic stereotypes’ aren’t they

I’m going deep with this by watching a 30 minute trailer analysis featuring two deep heads, who talk about sarek for about 10 seconds and confess they weren’t really paying attention to the actor, then move on to talk about the corridors on the new ship for 5 minutes

so excited

1 Like

I think inelegance and didacticism are inseparably linked in 2017. I’d rather they be earnest and clumsy than not try at all. Then again, there’s a lot of episodes of TNG that shouldn’t have tried.

1 Like
3 Likes

comic con trailer

That channel is so frustrating and keeps taking down videos. Anyway, I guess this is a Netflix joint now?

it’s a netflix show outside the US

1 Like