Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

Syndication is syndication though, so it just comes down to whatever stations air it?
Unless you’ve got more specifics, it sounds like you’re kind of using “public television” as a catchall for any non big 3 station including PBS ones, when PBS is a specific thing.

I assume what you’re getting at though is syndication meaning they wanted something that could play well enough at all sorts of timeslots?

Man I kinda like Worf’s son, just for regularly making Worf out to be just the worst dad, and so angry about being a dad. It has been a long time since I watched any of these eps though.

Yeah, in Clevo, TNG aired on Channel 43, which was about as far from PBS as you could get, and included other great shows at “Superhost” where a pudgy middle aged dude in tights did skits between airing whatever movie was cheap that week and Three Stooges shorts. 43 eventually, of course, became UPN, but then went back to being its own thing when the UPN/WB merger happened.

2 Likes

Catching a few of them recently in the reruns airing now, and I find the biggest issue is how often it gets turned into A plot stuff. A lot of it would be fine as B plot, or as a side element to a Worf A plot, like the one where he gets paralyzed and naturally there are moments with his son as he faces a potentially deadly operation or ritual suicide, but it just doesn’t feel like good material to focus the episode on.

I think the best part of what makes Worf a problematic dad though is simply trying to pass on Klingon values when TNG repeatedly demonstrates that Worf is trying to be some textbook ideal Klingon warrior that few Klingons actually live up to.

Though since the reruns I’m catching is a network showing all the Treks and started showing them at the same time, I can’t remember if he gets better about it later in TNG but in DS9 they at least have Worf fitting in better.

Yeah, I think that is fair. It does not seem good A plot material at all.

I saw the DS9 episode “Invasive Procedures”, last night. Maybe the first episode of DS9 that I actually was engaged with and enjoyed. Do all Trill have a pouch to insert symbiots into or did the doctor cut that open? Either way kind of a gross visual. Sisko finally did something not boring when he shot Verdax, but it was still pretty predictable.

all trill are symbiotic, made of the worm thing that goes in their abdomen and the humanoid on the outside.

1 Like

michelle yeoh is apparently “a captain” on the new show not “the captain” who is jason issacs so boooo for getting me hyped up

2 Likes

finally a victory for white men in star trek, my people’s time has come.

So what are the worst Star Trek episodes of all time, any series

I think I want to sink into filth

I haven’t seen it in like, years and years and years, but TNG’s “Code of Honor” was the hilariously racist one, right

That episode of Voyager where they turned into salamanders is pretty bad

2 Likes

The whole first season of TNG is pretty awful, and for TOS Spock’s Brain is peak shitty but kinda good Star Trek.

1 Like

“Second Chances” a.k.a “Too Many Rikers!” is quite something

that’s probably the least successful example of that particular premise, yeah

I actually like Second Chances even though it’s generally not quite successful I do appreciate that they don’t kill off the second Riker.

I mean, Farscape took the same episode ending and spun it off into a legitimate and very compelling arc of the show where the clone of a main character becomes a main character himself but Second Chances’s refusal to kill off the clone is only unambitious in hindsight.

2 Likes

Tuvix. Then any episode with Troy’s mum.

3 Likes

That clip show where Riker has to be reminded of old episodes or else he’ll die.

3 Likes

god that’s such a great/terrible premise for a clip show

3 Likes