Star Trek Thread: Nemesis 2: Nemeses, etc. (Part 1)

These are spot on. Haven’t seen enough of Trek to judge the others, but Picard has to be Jack!

lol

Their name is B’arclana

Unfortunately, that’s also their pairing name. Fortunately, all the fanfic featuring them features transporter accidents.

4 Likes

I feel like I could write an essay on why this bothers me on a very deep level.

I wish I saw this thread earlier, I’ve been watching all of TNG for the first time and now I’m on the last season (which is pretty meh so far, I’m glad they ended it after this one).

Season 5 seems to be the peak to me, except it ends on that bloody horrible Time’s Arrow episode with that insufferable Mark Twain character.

I also watched city on the edge of forever because I heard it’s the best TOS episode and it was certainly okay?

2 Likes

500 word minimum, double spaced please.

you go to hell, you go to hell and you die!

Just spotted this thread for the first time, and like @Sykel I have just blitzed through the majority of TNG for the first time in my life, despite having ample opportunity to have watched it on BBC2 way back in the day. I say majority because I’m hesintantly approaching S7 with caution after reading warnings on other websites, and avoiding a bunch of episodes either with bad descriptions on Netflix or getting no more than a few minutes into S1’s infamous “Planet of the black people it’s so fucking racist”. Never mind the number of bad child actor episodes, not least the number of surrogate parent crises that seem to pop up more often than they should.

I might be inclined to do more write-ups on those awful old Sonic the Hedgehog comics based upon all this shamefully absent exposure I had to the Trek shows as a child, when I’m feeling better. I’ve never seen the original series, and despite the praise I’m finding DS9 really hard to get through due to its colourless sets. And everyone hates Voyager whilst Enterprise is a messy mess, apparently.

the good episodes of season 7 are really really good imo

and the bad ones aren’t really worse than other seasons, just a different flavor of bad

1 Like

Excuse me, scottish ghost romance on planet scotland is absolutely worse than other bad episodes

5 Likes

Shit, maybe I should watch season seven.

1 Like

Man, TNG has so many memorably bad episodes. It’s one of the show’s charms.

3 Likes

You know you love it

2 Likes

I saw Gates McFadden with Terry Ferrel at a Panel and Gates was joking about the absurdity of that episode. They also talked about rampant sexism in Hollywood. Good times.

2 Likes

Ghost sex scotland planet episode is definitely the worst episode

I HAVE FINISHED STAR TREK I really liked the last episode(s) and I like how the last season wrapped up everyone’s story for the most part. Wesley episode was terrible as usual though

I don’t think this would be nearly as bad if not for Worf’s son, who is awkward and pointless in every single appearance. It’s especially grating because the other aspects of Worf’s backstory are great.

I chalk it up to 1990s american public television producers, same as the Mark Twain episodes and every other excuse they found to use period costumes. They loved having attentive ten year olds in everything. And I do not tire of reminding people about the PBS thing, it’s such a big part of TNG.

?

Please elaborate on the “PBS thing” @Felix

Which got me thinking about the general shitness of child actors in various cases, and how badly it is still done over here in Blighty with the wreck of a channel CBBC; a parade of never-ending drama or “comedy” series filled with young 'uns clearly plucked from very particular London-based acting schools all working on the craft of stage acting whilst being completely unable to do TV or Film-based acting methods.

I got thinking about this because I caught a glimpse of some half-baked BBC TV film the other night called “What We Did On Our Holiday”, featuring a scene exclusively dominated by child actors, and they were all shit, making the most obvious mistakes without anyone to tell them otherwise (because the audience was probably mostly old fuckers who lack any meaningful eye for quality), including exaggerated line readings and weird phrasings no human on Earth could muster at that age. It’s a generation of actors who will go nowhere other than to intentionally deny children of lower classes/other regions work in the future, because they don’t have the connections provided by the BBC’s very deliberate processes.

the PBS thing I mentioned (in the very second post of this topic) was simply that TNG first aired in syndication on a motley collection of US public television channels, which is something that no show of its stature has done before or since, and I assume that played into the production to some extent.