Ticky Tacky Ogre

Does this game have anything to do with Tactics Ogre?

hmm
i thought the cutscenes were insufferable and far, far too long and regretted playing on normal by the end but i’ll probably buy in

nope

1 Like

played the demo today and made it through the first battle and uh

yeah, i can’t. gonna pass on this one, for sure. not getting me this time, Business Division 11

3 Likes

my switch just preloaded this, I am jazzed

2 Likes

This is tempting, but coming straight from Tactics Ogre, I feel like I might be setting myself up for dissapointment.

Plus I can’t get over “Triangle Strategy” being verbalised in the theme song from the recent trailer.

3 Likes

~imo~ this is by far the closest anyone has come to trying to make an actual modern sequel to tactics ogre – the PSP remake completely misunderstood the SNES original, the GBA spinoff was fun but strictly less-than, and FFT and everything since FFT was basically a different branch of the tree

EDIT: MIS! MISunderstood!

3 Likes

first fight in this after the demo is brutal

what are the differences in Tactics Ogre versions besides graphical changes?

PSP version raises the character limit by 2 making every battle stodgy and unbalanced, and adds an incredibly fussy and pointless ability system onto a game that always had intentionally replaceable units

also adds an extremely convoluted version of save states which I think is at least more interesting than the other changes

1 Like

i am obligated to post about the One Vision romhack being the best version of tactics ogre every time it comes up

4 Likes

second fight after the demo is… unimaginative, feels a lot like a fire emblem battle out of nowhere.

they are doing kind of a weird job of plot development, they killed off a somewhat silly number of characters fairly early on, seemingly to prove they could, and your party somehow keeps being in the right place at the right time and then failing to capitalize on it. the optional recruits basically feel like suikoden rejects falling out of the sky.

on the one hand, it is still an intriguingly mannered tactics ogre tribute act. on the other… I’m not entirely sure it’s good

1 Like

Worth it just to allow me to continually think about what a funny name “tactics ogre” is for another few years. “Triangle strategy” is going for that same combination of the inexplicable and the mundane, but misses it just enough to reinforce the perfect nonsense of “tactics ogre”

4 Likes

it helps that there are virtually no ogres in tactics ogre – it was intended as a spinoff of the planned seven part ogre battle series of which only two were ever released. I believe the final boss briefly alludes to a mythical ogre battle having taken place.

9 Likes

also, the main characters are named “denam” and “vice”

7 Likes

Matsuno definitely feels like he got promoted to game director on the same basis as Miyazaki, like he carried the weirdest notebooks around with him and didn’t seem to mind telling people all about it so they made that his job

8 Likes

every parent deserves the gift of their child telling them that what they want for christmas is a thing called ‘tactics ogre’

13 Likes

The path taken from “it’s just the name of a Queen song he liked” to “better put some ogres in the game or it won’t make any sense” to “what’s the best naming convention for the spinoff” is really something

3 Likes

deneb used snapshot etc etc

4 Likes

it’s a very funny choice that only your first eight characters get to be, like, voting members of your portable little dynastic house, and everybody else who joins is like “oh this dipshit”

I don’t think I trust them to subvert that expectation once established. these octopath devs are weird

1 Like

I am growing less impressed with this, sorry to say – they’re biting game of thrones really, really hard with the writing, and the second branching decision in the game (the first really big one) is locking me in to a route I do not want at all despite my engaging with the game’s fancy persuasion system, because I have somehow been too utilitarian up to now so the option is just bootstrapped the wrong way.

going to put it down until they patch it

6 Likes