The Zoo Race (Now Free)

If $4 was too steep and you were waiting for a price drop, The Zoo Race is now free.

http://zoorace.com/

If you’re unfamiliar with this game, the following video is a good introduction. In fact, I recommend watching this video at least monthly even if you have no interest in ever playing the game.

Here are a few of the screenshots that I took for the old SB thread about this game.

20 Likes

I don’t know how I missed that the Zoo Race developer released another game a couple years ago. Not a genre I normally go for, but that’s also true of racing games so I will be trying this one out.

5 Likes

The developer really doubles down this time on the parody/sincerity. (I guess I’m leaning a little more toward the latter this time, but who knows.)

I guess you prevent crimes in a city (shown in cutscenes) by winning boxing matches against demons.

6 Likes

these menu screens are like a print on demand sweater company away from being online irony hypebeast swag

4 Likes

It turns out that not every event is a crime. In this case, I had to throw the match because the “evil” outcome sounded more entertaining. It’s an easy game so it was actually a little tedious losing intentionally. But the resulting scene was worth it.

12 Likes

it’s interesting that the angel’s moves all correspond to buildings, but the demon’s moves are more abstract. and the angel’s armor is “the police.”

if you had won that match, would you then have been able to perform “god’s mix”?

I played through the entire game. Sometimes I wanted to see more of the bad outcomes but I didn’t have the patience to do both for each one. (There are a lot of scenes.) I was expecting it to be an odd game, but it still surprised me in places.

I’m still not sure whether the developer holds Christian beliefs, is mocking them, or is just using the theme as a vehicle to tell strange stories. It doesn’t really matter, but I’m kind of curious. Jesus makes a lot of appearances, as do some U.S. politicians.

Although most of the situations are quite trivial or just absurd, there are also things like a character considering suicide and even some of the positive resolutions involve violence and death.

It was a mafia boss scene that unlocked that one. But I found that none of the additional moves were any more effective than the default one.

5 Likes