The Ultimate Just Got Better: Minty on PS2

Densha de Go! 3 Tsuukin-hen

By the end of this week, I need to complete a presentation and a research essay for grad school. That doesn’t matter right now. All that matters are trains.

For those who don’t know, Densha de Go! is a bit like Outrun, but instead of trying to impress a blonde by driving fast, you’re trying to impress the general public by obeying speed limits, honking at construction workers, and stopping exactly where the line shows and not one centimeter over. Honking is the best. It feels like talking. It feels like I’m the train and the world was built for me.

Playing the game, I alternate between a serene state of contentment and a crushing feeling of incompetence. When the doors close and the bell rings, I’m gliding on air. I can see the workers go about their duty, the cars waiting patiently at crossings, and the fellow trains that pass by me. Then I approach the platform and my heart races. I think I slowed down enough on approach, but the distance meter is ticking down too fast. I slow down more and now I can count down out loud. Problem is, I’m already late and there are still 15 meters to cover. I speed up a little, but that’s also a miscalculation. I go over the target by 6 meters and now all of my mistakes have piled up on me. I lose.

I wish I was cool like @dylan. I wish I knew how to conduct a train. I think I’m getting closer to completing an entire run. I think I’m getting better. I think I could drive trains with enough practice. I nearly screamed the first time I stopped the train within one meter of the target. It felt so good! I can see why this series has lasted so long. I’m seriously considering buying a controller now. I cannot wait until we get to 2003 and I can drive trams around.

I think my number 1 post-quarantine dream is to ride a train again. I don’t know where I’ll be or where I’m going, but it’s going to be good to GO!

15 Likes