THE SPHERE! IS! ELECTRIC! (Ace Combat)

I think I’ve always loved the series because it understands that “gimmick” is not a dirty word. When used effectively, it’s how you keep things interesting. I think AC is a perfect example of how to create a base set of mechanics that works really well, then just block off or obscure certain parts of it to change the feel in an instant. They get a lot of mileage out of the engine, for sure.

Flight sims are about appreciating the mechanical complexity of the aircraft and enjoying the process of operating it. Ace Combat is about being in love with the idea or dream of flying fighter jets. That’s why it’s satisfying.

5 Likes

i wish someone married the complexity of 90s pc sims with the emotion of ace combat.

2 Likes

or even just like “made a game that uses more buttons than are on a controller and also has actual level design”

when was the last the time that happened? steel battalion?

ace combat is really much better than anyone could’ve hoped in this regard even so, they offload all of those additional mechanics onto the levels instead of the player which is not a bad compromise, they’re still there

1 Like

I’m playing electrosphere. didn’t realize I was starting with the mgs2 of ace combat games though

2 Likes

the fan translation I hope

of course

1 Like

SCRAMBLE

AC7 ON SALE FOR 23.99

SCRATCH THAT 35.99 I WAS LIED TO

1 Like
1 Like

Now it’s just getting ridiculous and I love it

I should get back to this

I finished this, enjoyed it quite a bit, but did come away feeling like the story never even started, nor had the drama ever really worked.

It is baffling to me how the mechanic gal who was taken prisoner at the start of the game is not the player character. She has a vastly more interesting story than whatever the fuck is going on with “Trigger,” and has all the reason in the world to be involved with the scallywags that constitute your chain gang.

Feels like they shied away from the real story and concept for their game, for reasons I can only speculate at.

Arcbird was a cool foe, visually. I loved fighting that thing. I just had initially felt like the arcbird was the tip of the iceberg, not the entire thing.

Ah well. Maybe next game.

3 Likes

There are some interviews out there (I don’t have them handy right now but might dig them up) that suggest the game has more or less been developed in the 18 months leading up to the release. Which would explain why there was nothing much of substance shown after the Playstation Experience trailer in 2015, and the disjointed feeling of the the story.

I think the game did better than Bamco anticipated, so they might fund a more robust sequel now that lots of the systems and models are in place, or maybe a Gaiden project like AC Zero.

2 Likes

It felt very much like a game without a director or a vision. I don’t think I’ve seen a game this narratively unfocused in a long time.

A rushed timeline would explain it, I just wonder why.

the rest of it really came together though! the narrative is a totally bizarre shaggy dog thing which doesn’t match the rest of the tone at all but I think there was still a ton of directing and producing involved in getting that far

2 Likes

I’m okay with the way it turned out, very pretty nonsense is exactly what I was looking for

1 Like

i dropped this for a while but i came back and they have the falken and i’m blasting through the campaign hitting everyone with lasers, i’m having a great time

the fact that there could be an ace combat 8 now is an exciting thought

2 Likes

yeah complaints about storytelling aside I got pretty much everything I hoped for out of it, the VR was super neat and the range of missions and weather effects is great and they really put their all into making the kind of game you don’t see that often these days. If it did well enough to merit an 8, great, but it’s already the best semi sim mech/flight game in close to 20 years

6 Likes

You thought the battle was over? Prepare to take flight again soon in ACE COMBAT 7: SKIES UNKNOWN.

Operation Sighthound launches this fall as part of DLC 4.

2 Likes
3 Likes

why did they make ed harris look like a corpse