The secret, true finale, sweet gift of a level

Oh oh I know one, Hell in Cave Story blew my mind. Was it called Hell? Anyway, it ruled

6 Likes

I was thinking tunes but a couple of those rotating cylinders that you could run inside of would be pretty cool.

Didn’t see them mentioned and they are probably either too obvious or don’t quite fit in here, but this thread made me think of the Eternal versions of levels in Katamari games where the time limit is removed and you can eventually roll up all objects on the map. The game never tells you to stop or even has any kind of end state other than your katamari being the only object aside from the hollowed out remains of a house or, on the last eternal levels, an ocean planet with maybe a few specks of landmass that didn’t stick. We Love Katamari does this final unlockable thing where a rose, in very small quiet whisper text, asks you to roll up a million roses in a similar endless sandbox space where you can chip away at it, leave, and come back to adding to your total until it’s done, but I never could bring myself to do it.

I get a completionist urge in games, especially like these where your compulsive accumulation of objects is tracked in e.g. the collection list and visually manifested as cosmic objects and stardust filing out empty space in the constellation view, but this always nagged at me in the 15+ yrs since I never finished or even got halfway. Then my memory card got wiped so my original save was lost anyway.

7 Likes

The news today reminded me of the “Another Day” scenario in the original The World Ends with You and the way it’s both a very funny comedy AU, and also not entirely that? Good stuff.

2 Likes

Stage 7 of Kero Blaster Zangyou mode

2 Likes

Does the Mile High Club count in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare?

Unlocked as a bonus mission after the credits on the regular campaign has rolled, doesn’t have much to do with the game’s plot, a very simple objective of just shooting your way through a plane to rescue the hostage at the end but on an incredibly strict time limit when played on harder difficulties which forces almost perfect play to beat on the hardest one (doing so awarded the game’s most difficult Xbox achievement). No explosive weapons or grenades allowed either. The clear screen is a photo of the game’s cast with message “Thanks for playing!”

Was one of the first times I remember a cheevo that seemed to have serious bragging rights among online gamers.

Did Call of Duty ever do anything similar?

1 Like

I remember watching my brother beat this! He was working on it for a whole day.

1 Like

Secret after completing all of the special missions in Ghost Babel

2 Likes

I love how this game looks. The animation on the sprites is so simple and effective. That bandana!

1 Like

3 Likes

I meant to post this… four months or so ago but forgot. Anyways!

I mentioned Life in Captivity in the random bundle games topic some time back (the funky sokoban/game of life (not the board game) mash-up) but forgot that I took a bunch of screenshots of its final stage that technically replaced its end credits. There were no actual blocks to push or puzzles to solve, you just had giant “You Win!” and some of the trippy background elements from previous stages around the screen periphery.

That said if you ignore the instructions to press a button to leave and go press a direction you notice that you are playing as the dot on the i in win and the screen actually scrolls in every direction and has all the weird pulsating background elements scattered about. Sprinkled among these are random paragraphs of text explaining why they made the game and why certain things are the way they are. I will include all the screenshots I took of them as why not.

So that’s that.

8 Likes