The Playstation Vita is More Than 10 Years Old

The real Vita experience is not having a Vita but being a longtime subscriber to PS+ and therefore having over 100 games for it.

7 Likes

If it had occurred to me to claim games even though I didn’t own the system yet, I would have so many more.

I also feel some vague regret about getting a Vita TV instead of the handheld but they were so damn cheap it basically negated the memory card cost.

I have played exactly one Vita game, though.

I remember playing a Vita on my friend’s bachelor party / getaway 5 years ago (to this day, coincidentally). I was real impressed. I want to pick up one of the cool JP-exclusive colors someday.

I picked up a Vita TV a while ago but it’s still in the box…

The Vita will be laid to rest at 7 years of age

Only major games left to be released westside seems to be the Persona dance game duo

Origin of vita

1920–25; < Latin: life

1 Like

it really sucks that it wasn’t more popular, it’s a really great console. definitely a lot better than the 3ds, which was a huge disappointment

1 Like

When do they stop releasing firmware updates?

They did one last week.

Better turn my vita on then.

1 Like

For Japan it is ALSO Atlus with Catherine Full Body. If TGS doesn’t change the release calender (doesn’t look like it). This month we are getting SenKyoku-Hime* 7 which is…the surest sign a system is dead.

• The newest release in the now long running Tactics game where everyone from history is an anime girl. Socrates, Rasputin, Gandhi. It’s by Alfa System which after 15 years of making the same fucking game Daisenryaku decided to change the tanks to animes and keep making the same 1999 PC level graphics game for 20 years. Seriously check out their PS2 releases. Then PS3 and Xbox 360 releases. Then PS4 games. Somebody buys their games I guess. I don’t think Catherine even counts since it is a remake of a PS3 game that is coming to PS4 too so god speed Vita.
2 Likes

Hey now, Aegis Rim is still announced for the Vita

I look forward to playing the newest Vanillaware title on the go once it’s done in 2021

Also, I haven’t checked for the latest firmware but if you’re on 3.68 or below, you can easily softmod your system and steal games and load PSP gamrs and emulators on to it with no issue

1 Like

Nope.

Should I buy a 3.68 PSTV for 40 bucks?

i’d say no, since i consider being a handheld one of the big draws of the vita

but i guess it depends on how much you want to play games while also watching anime/wrestling/serial killer documentaries

1 Like

I just broke my vita open and did the SD2VITA converter for a cheap 128gb memory card solution to the insane Sony cards we had to use. Been loading up on stuff if anyone has any cool overlooked recs for VITA or PSP both.

I played a little Oreshika: Tainted Bloodlines which is a spiritual sequel to a famous 1999 cult classic JP-only game, and it seems really interesting if a little daunting. Good story hook too, very nice presentation.

Tearaway is cute but I’m not sure how into looking at my own face I am every couple of minutes.

Ridge Racer VITA is a total baffler. As far as I can tell there isn’t any real single player world tour mode, you’re mainly supposed to race against Actual People or Actual People’s Ghosts. Really lame. It’s pretty though. I chased it with Ridge Racer PSP which is much better both as a game and a love letter to the series.

I feel like there’s a lot of sleeping on Vita and PSP libraries both so I really don’t have much of an idea what’s out there that’s truly obscure. I mean for Vita there’s obviously P4G, Shiren, Dang 'ole Ronpas, etc, but outside of that surely there’s some little islands of class in the sea of skeevy touch-girl dungeon crawls.

here’s everything good in my psn purchase history, obscure or otherwise

psp:
street fighter alpha 3
kenka bancho badass rumble
darkstalkers chronicle
cho aniki zero
ys seven
power stone collection
mana khemia

vita:
minecraft
downwell
race the sun
arcana heart 3 love max!!!
jet set radio
last blade 2
earth defence force 2017 portable
warriors orochi 3
dariusburst chronicle saviours
muramasa rebirth
bloodstained: curse of the moon
ys origin
airship q
shiren the wanderer: the tower of fortune and the dice of fate
deception 4

(those last 3 i actually own on cartridge, not psn)

also remember that it’s probably the nicest and most luxurious way to play a lot of ps1 rpgs

1 Like

Awesome recs, thank you so much! I’ve never even remotely heard of Airship Q so that’s exciting! And yeah you best believe I’ve loaded up on every ps1 jrpg I can think of.

Actually googling Airship Q your blog is one of the first Image results for it so that’s pretty neat.

1 Like

the PSTV is worth buying if the end objective is just playing Vita games with no other stipulations

and then you can go ahead and softmod the fuck out of the thing and I won’t tell you not to steal Vita games from PSN but you could

1 Like

Woah straight from PSN? They hacked it WiiU/3DS bad?

you have to use a separate program to download stuff and it’s only for stuff people have gotten the info for but it’s there and you can just dump the download onto your Vita and be done with it

There’s actually a program that downloads straight to your VITA from PSN as well but it’s insanely slow so you’d be much better off doing the above and then USB/FTP’ing them over.