The Moon Fields

Each of the dungeons for The Moon Fields are called “Fields”. The demo “Field” is a crypt. Inside this crypt you’ll find slimes, baby slimes, knife wielding skeletons, mummies, cultists, and floating eyes. The theme for the dungeon is:

“One of us”

You start at a campfire outside of the field. As said earlier, you prepare yourself for your journey at the camp. I am thinking that there will be a tent object that you can enter and it will be another room where you can collect your belongings or change your armor. I need to formalize how this works in an organic way without menus, but we’ll see. For the demo you have your sword and your bow.

Once you have gathered your belongings you enter the field.

Inside the field it will look familiar. The first room will be a three pronged room with two open doors and one locked door. I am not sure how I want to set up the dungeon, but I know the flow I want and the types of rooms I want.

In general the rooms are:

Filler rooms. These are meant for pacing. The first room is an example of a filler room. The idea here is that while there’s no action, the player still has to think about things. This room will look like other rooms. There will be random details that could be part of puzzles. And when I say puzzles I mean really, incredibly simple puzzles. Pushing a block to unlock a door. Bombing a wall. Lighting braziers. I will make a big post about how I want to deal with puzzles. Essentially the solution to the puzzle should be simple, but identifying puzzles will be slightly weird and difficult.

Imminent Danger rooms. These rooms have open doors and enemies that generally wander about. The enemies won’t be the types of enemies that focus down on the player, but they will be annoying to pass through. These rooms slow the player’s movement, and should make anxious players wary. Like the filler rooms they have allusions to puzzles.

Locked rooms. These rooms are the high action rooms. You enter this room and danger spawns and you have to deal with it. The danger can be anything like enemies or an impending trap or both. Dealing with the room might be killing the enemies, killing a specific enemy, and/or solving a puzzle.

I want one of the locked rooms in this dungeon linked to a repeated sound effect. Throughout the whole dungeon I want chanting to happen in the background and eventually have a locked room that has hordes of cloaked enemies stream out of somewhere. The chanting can change to a more aggressive note and eventually when you kill all of the cultists the chanting is done in the dungeon forever.

Most of these rooms are going to be 1x1 sized rooms just like ZeldaNES. The “gimmick” that I want to use in this dungeon deals with zooming and rooms of sizes larger than 1x1.

The general flow of this field:

1. I want to take players through a familiar space in this dungeon first - 5ish rooms that are very Zelda-y
  2. Then slowly introduce darkness
  3. Zoomed in darkness
  4. Confusion in the darkness
  5. Lighting the torch to literally illuminate darkness and push out the zoom
  6. Using the torch to solve a puzzle and push out the zoom even more for a giant boss fight

Actually finding the torch can happen anywhere, but I want the player to go through the darkness without a lit torch. Finding the torch and not being able to use it (maybe because it got extinguished before the rooms you want it) would be pretty cool. Then you solve a “bigger puzzle” and the water is gone and you can light your torch and you are now empowered!

The zoomed in darkness/confusion in the darkness is also an important thing I want in this dungeon. I want some rooms that are bigger than 1x1 ZeldaNES rooms, but I want to hide them in darkness first. Essentially some rooms will be 1x1 and dark and zoomed in. Then I want one room, probably horizontal, to be at least three wide. It will be a tricky navigating maze room that I want the player to feel like it’s “slightly too big”. But the player won’t be sure until they get the torch and realize that yeah it is too big.

I am doing some mockups of the dungeon today. Hopefully I’ll make a mockup of a normally lit dungeon, one of a dungeon that’s lit only by torchfire, and then something weird? We’ll see. I still need to figure out normal maps, too.

A little late, and definitely not perfect, but hey. C&C please

The sprites are difficult to read with that amount of light/shadow contrast, but beyond that it’s pretty cool.

So I just noticed that the shadows aren’t connecting the ways I was hoping. I posted for some help at the Unity3D forums, but I thought I’d maybe shoot this out here @drobe maybe?

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sprite-shadows-bias.374417/

If I may ask is … the tengu mask still planned?

edit: ‘syncing-voxels-and-sprites’ seems well-intended…
I’m personally for what I’ve seen…

1 Like

Yeah, floating mask type enemies are totally in the game. I would totally welcome any lore or ideas you have with regards to Tengus and the cultural background. Thanks.

Well, the grand-master of them (as a Yamabushi, I think…) is known as Sōjōbō, Is said to live on a Mt. Kurama (in real-world Japan.). As I may have said - they tend to be ‘beings’ of arrogance, controllers and 'live’rs in such. They are said to be ‘Martial’ creatures using Shugendō, a highly syncretic religion - I find (myself) that they use commonly (as weapons) both spears of a sort and either katana (in a japanese setting) or https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Jy_8y6h_6ag/UMRUesrAg-I/AAAAAAAAJHw/17OhpQYLz_A/s1600/IMG_5020.JPG&imgrefurl=http://rurousha.blogspot.jp/2012/12/daiyuzan-saijo-ji-temple-of-trees-and.html&h=800&w=800&tbnid=DieAiuXcuOzSnM:&docid=SUacp3DVlfkxzM&ei=H1h3Vpm9EoPre9Tln6AB&tbm=isch&ed=0ahUKEwjZyI7j6OvJAhWD9R4KHdTyBxQQMwggKAMwAw
Chinese swords as such - excuse me for not knowing the name…
EDIT - I am NOT Asian, just study such…

1 Like
2 Likes

for a 12 second demo(nstration), It looks (and sounds) hip to my ear/eyes…

1 Like

This thread makes me happy in indescribable ways

1 Like

http://interdimensional.space/2015/12/moon-fields-dev-log-2/

Sample image:

Idea that needs to be put here: one (and only one) dungeon is a hallway to a bossfight.

just make it as good as Suda’s (NMH) ‘Let’s Shake’ tunnel, and you’re golden; in that, you followed Henry, so being chased, or a flood (Thinkin’ out loud, softly…); sounds hip to MY ears…

Keep in mind, were two thoughts off the top o’ my head,
your game, dude…

The shadow hasn’t been solved. But I think we’re going to go ahead and maybe fix it when we can

Can people following this thread read the last Dev entry about boss monsters? I would love input

I can… thinkin’ up any input that’ll come…

Shootin from the hip - MeGoo?

I (personally) prefer the name Necromancer, sounds grimmer

Dragon Whelps seem cool,

I like the whack-a-mole analogy on the “Mech.” boss

(on the Tengu, I mean…)
I feel it should be a 1-1 enemy; may-hap a bit bigger than you (wings, beak) {for the sprite, anyway} A Sword/Spear goes without saying, I feel that a ‘hurricane’ (winds, may-hap random, moving you around during the fight would be interesting)

Polyface looks (Again, top of head)
like it should be magical; (I think the faces should be similar…) maybe both i.e. magical/organtic

Plant - Name Idea: Amoebiana?

Fire spider/or crab - Name Idea: Fuer-Spinne/or Fuer-Nörgelei (German)
a crab climbing a web is AN IDEA.

Invisible dude - (Name - Procepterius?) Seems neat

a snake seems hip - (My birth-year, BTW) [Name - Δράκων (drákōn), Greek, Dragon - literally; or LONGWEI - Chinese 龙威, Dragon-Greatness] COATL or CHUA, are both (Native-American Snake names)

(I looked here - http://www.20000-names.com/dragon_names.htm)

Gargoyles (Name Idea - Gargouille, French) seem cool; perhaps transforming between ‘living’ and ‘not’

Gazer (Name sounds good I.M.O.) - I guess is a (Mono-eye), on a tail; maybe…(petrification, here we come…)

Unexpected type seems neat (What elemental? - if I may?)

A (SUPER) giant (Supra-Gigantos) seems Go-to (never played SoC, etc, so…no Idea really…)

SADNESS - ok, finally looked up Sif, Earth-goddess; moves earth, land - slight physicality, I suggest like punches, slaps; maybe a kiss?

PRETM - sounds cool (I assume, small, zips {maybe warps} around)

Flamelurker - (Pyro-setiya, top of my head, again…) seems kinda Zelda: OOT(Ocarina) boss (Volvagia)-like I guess…

Dragon God (Tiamel?; based on Tiamat) - *thought, elemental switching, maybe…
I.M.O. could fly around in whatever arena you have for it like a certain FFA (Final Fantasy Adventure) dragon… (or not, might just be my imagination/bad memory)

My own preference -
on the (dog) is that it be a wolf (name idea - Lupain) (2-headed seems nice)

The ‘Hammerball’ (looks ‘Centaurian’; as in as a Centaur.)

Comment: Sorry for so-many edits… lots of re-thinking, in my head…

Re-edit: IF I get credited, list me as Notymenow, please…

1 Like

Just a thought, is the mask-wearing enemies thing already part of the lore? It seems like a lot of the designs feature masks for false faces of some kind, it seems like if you extended that to all the bosses it could be kind of cool. I dunno if it is even something that has to have a detailed explanation, but if all of the major enemies had masks on it would give the whole thing a thematic consistency that I find appealing.

This is another random thought, and I have no idea if it would fit in with the mechanics you’ve already designed, but a cool gimmick for the 4 faced mask boss would be if you had to somehow contain or control the projectiles shot out of one of the 4 faces long enough to target them back at the other faces. By like ricocheting them off walls or some such. Maybe each face could shoot out something that could be contained in different ways, so at certain points you’d have to be juggling multiple different kinds of shots at the same time, and choosing the right one to send back at the next face to come up.

Also the centaur should totally have a horse head underneath the human face mask.

1 Like

on the Tengu; some possible names include - Sojobo, Bukka, Chak-Chak, Chuko, Ebonfeather, Highroost, Kraugh, Pezzack, Taicho, Tchoyoitu, and Xaikon. (Mostly stolen from a Pathfinder page about - you guessed it, Tengu!) all male, female are Aerieminder, Aikio, Cheetchu, Daba, Gildedhackle, Kankai, Mikacha, Ruk, Zhanyae. - BTW

I really like this post about masks. The mask enemy thing is a thing I should probably take advantage of. I really like idea of playing with outward appearances. I’ll have more to talk about later tonight. Thanks

1 Like