the depths of eg-lana

Yeah, I got to the pedestal there and was like “why isn’t it working” for like a solid minute before I realized I had zero weights on me. Plus all the tablets in the area were hinting that I’d need the time stopping lantern to beat him, so I just skipped it for now

Eg-Lana architect going over the supply checklist

Let’s see here… poison, lava, poison lava…

1 Like

I haven’t decided yet whether I will actually take notes when I reach a point in the game where that seems necessary, or just start using a guide then. Assuming any guides exist in the near future.

Whenever I’m not sure what to do next, I just teleport to an area and look around some more. Inevitably, I find a passage or item that I’d missed previously. I like pushing at the edges in that way, though I imagine that soon enough I will start having “wasted” sessions in which I make no progress at all.

I’m not very far along. I’ve only defeated one “real” boss. I suspect that one of the next things I need to figure out is how to push those white blocks.

When I was researching my technical issues, I saw a whole lot of bug reports about places where you can apparently get permanently stuck. I avoided reading any specifics, but I hope those are in fact only temporary in the end or fixed before I reach those points.

Accidentally advanced the plot, so to speak, in a zone I was stuck in while doing a little cleanup in some other zones.

Something I like about this game is how there’s always SOMETHING you can be doing. Even if you’re stuck, there are always other goals you can be working towards somewhere else. It’s open-ended without feeling empty or meandering (oh hi Hollow Knight, didn’t see you there.)

1 Like

The music in Heaven’s Labyrinth is SO GOOD I go there just to bop to it sometimes.

Somehow accidentally solved two of the three Anubis riddles? Still not 100% sure how, and clueless on the remaining one.

In other news, the Underworld sucks.

Amazing how such an otherwise wonderfully-made game can turn out to have one of the worst-designed boss fights ever made.

I mean, even the good ones are just barely not awful, the game does walk a tightrope that way

That may or may not be, but Surtr is unforgivably bad

status update: EIGHT BOSSES DOWN!

I have been eclipsed

(I took a break around last thursday because it was occupying too much of my brain space and I didn’t feel like dealing with the underworld or the hall of malice, which I think are my only options right now unless I can make more progress in heaven’s labyrinth than I realized. I figured I was probably around the 2/3 mark for completion but more like 50% for intellectual effort and toil.)

You absolutely have everything you need to clear out Heaven’s Labyrinth from top to bottom.

The fact that someone has finished the game already has really kicked me into high gear. I want to finish before the guides and wikis get fleshed out. For some reason, the game still being a mostly uncharted space is what’s most attractive to me about it.

2 Likes

good to know! I think I summoned the ankh after getting a few of the key treasures there but I wasn’t able to figure out how to get to the top left or top right rooms so I’ll have to revisit

My habit of obsessively recording and organizing tablets by topic has paid off quite a few times so far.

Still no idea where to start tugging on this Brahma knot though. And boy howdy are there a lot of tablets about it.

Yeah, that’s something that people who’ve played the first game do, because you realize how unwieldy it’s gonna get to cross-reference. Doesn’t seem to be any less needed this time round, despite the basic recording feature. An interesting aspect of this game’s “memorization” challenge is that it’s a lot more about recalling the appropriate tablet in a given context than about the remembering it in the first place.

Got to Valhalla so far and honestly the level design isn’t igniting my groin much, it’s lacking big important pieces of scalable architecture like That Pyramid etc

Hopefully it kicks up

So far, I have defeated three of the main bosses. Kujata took me a few tries.

I like how cruel some of the traps are, as annoying as they can be in the moment. (Hmm. I’m pretty certain that I didn’t open that chest, but maybe the game’s just being nice and giving me one that’s already open.)

Last night, I found the entrance to the Gate of the Dead. It’s funny that I could have reached that area quite some time ago but I didn’t notice the thing that you do to gain entrance. And even after I did trigger it, I didn’t realize the significance of it.

Trying to guess how many layers of “I know you know I know this is a trap” the game is operating on at any one moment is one of my absolute favorite parts

6 Likes

OK I went and cleared out the hall of malice so that’s 7

every time I go into the underworld I am sad but I think I am really fresh out of other options

This one definitely has its moments but I’m realizing that I might be closer to the endgame than I thought and I’m finding that part in particular a little less exciting than the original – this one just gets more and more forbidding past the halfway point. The pacing is better and so far there’s no threat of extraneous scavenger hunts but I miss the sense of probing closer and closer toward the secret core rather than repeatedly being told to go fuck myself (which I’m in a high percentile of being on board with anyhow, I just wish the neat geography weren’t behind me).