it really did!
uh, short list:
- way too much convoluted 90s comic book style plotting; the first season was surreal and inventive but not in a way that ever required you to trust that they’d connect what was happening from scene to scene several episodes later, and the second really overindulged
- farouk is incredibly hammy and not really in a good way and not nearly as scary compelling as aubrey plaza
- they do a lot of needlessly horrible shit to the characters (especially syd and amy and lenny) without really justifying much of it narratively
- jemaine clement chews up too much of the scenery
- it feels a lot harsher without the forested sets
I was blown away by the first season and didn’t like the second very much at all