The Actual Worst MST3K Movies

I don’t remember the others, but Hobgoblins was deliberately over-the-top because the director sent the movie to them on purpose and asked them to use it.

I do remember a Mike interview where he said he regretted take a bunch of low shots about how actors looked and whatnot.

Yet he was still ragging on the cast when they recently redid Time Chasers.

And there’s that whole chapter in his book about The Craft being evil, which we later learned was sincere…

Hobgoblins may actually be the answer to the original question.

Yeah, there was. Just more physical commentary re: actors in general. “ha ha fat” is half of the jokes lobbed at movies with Joe Don Baker, who… isn’t even particularly heavy? I cringe the most though when the commentary in Joel eps veers towards orientalist stuff, like pentatonic jingles or “Engrish.” That’s where the line between satire and straightly replicating something is blurred, and the jokes usually aren’t even worth it anyway.

The only episode that I feel comfortable saying had great, justifiable fat jokes was Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

I knew Hobgoblins was going to come up. That felt so much like it could have been a major '80s video store cult hit had it only had better distribution.

I’ve never seen the MST version of Time of the Apes, but I had trouble staying awake while watching it normally a couple weeks back. I generally can sit through anything.

I’d love some suggestions as to which episodes to use to break into the Joel era. I never really gave it a chance because I’m a stickler for chronological consumption and the series obviously starts out much rougher than the tail-end I caught on the sci-fi channel

Manos
Warrior of the Lost World
Pod People
Giant Gila Monster
Cave Dwellers (with the caveat about iffy accent jokes from a couple posts back)
Attack of The [The] Eye Creatures

I’m not sure how well Gamera aged, but that was my introduction to the show a million years ago.

Since I’m primarily into the movies, I guess I’d say it really depends on if you’re into TV edits of 80s video store sleeze or if you’d rather black and white monsters lurking around sock hops.

Operation Double 007 is probably my favourite Joel one, but then I really enjoy cheesy spy flicks (and this is a good one)

1 Like

(sorry I meant to post here when this thread was new but then stuff/life)

Laurel Soup posted all the best Joel eps except The Amazing Collosal Man, which was the first one I saw and has always had a special place in my heart.

Red Zone Cuba is my favorite Coleman Francis one but hey I’m weird, so

I’ve never been able to make it very far into Overdrawn at the Memory Bank or Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders. They’re just too painful.

I can’t believe I forgot ACM!

i’ve only seen Red Zone Cuba and that’s probably a mistake

Man, Werewolf is probably the best place to start. Followed by The Final Sacrifice.

Rowsdower.

EDIT: Whoa, the whole Werewolf is up, with annotations.