The 2020 selectbutton.net Jam of ZZT

“but artee sir! it’s already april 4 in my timezone!”

okay person from the future, i’ll let you peek at tomorrow’s picture

do not open until april 4th

screen13

1 Like

How was everyone’s weekend?

I didn’t get started until yesterday afternoon (this wasn’t the best starting weekend for myself), but I at least had enough creative juices flowing to hatch out a rough outline of the world and finish a couple artsy-looking boards.

ngl i haven’t touched this but uh, maybe i will on wednesday??

1 Like

postponing the end of this jam a week, until April 18, because of some really dumb life events that happened this week

Q: What if I’ve worked all this week and I don’t want to do anything next week?
A: Then just submit it like normal when you’re done, and make note that you worked on it for a week.

Q: What exactly do you mean by “dumb life events”?
A: ü

3 Likes

And here I was feeling guilty I hadn’t done anything. Now I’m resolving to do something, even if it’s just a title screen!

1 Like

!!!

There is a very real possibility that one of the things that slowed down my ZZT game-making 21 years ago will also be the thing that keeps me from participating in this ZZT event: Final Fantasy VII

5 Likes

Reminder that this ends tomorrow. Even if your stuff feels incomplete (like mine does), don’t be afraid of submitting it (thus saith the Spirit of the Jam).

Also, I’ll be in the middle of a move this weekend (possibly related to the reasons the deadline of this was postponed), so it might take me a couple days to post the results packaged together. Please understand.

oh hey I finished moving, lemme check my email for submissions…

*checks email*

It looks like we got one submission from a nice fellow who isn’t even a member of these forums, and zero others.

Between that submission and my world, it looks like we’ll be two-for-two when it comes to ZZT games with red factory buildings wherein you push boulders into machinery to convert them into piddling amounts of gems being used to represent the drudgery of wage labor in this jam.

ngl I ~cheated~ by finishing up my submission today, since I was so busy this past week…

…hmm

*very transparent last ditch effort to drive up turn-out for this thing*

If you did any work for this, please take a few moments to cheat wrap a bow on your work and submit it soon, por favor.

Hello! Are you accepting incredibly late submissions? I’ve only just found this from the ZZT subreddit and I’m keen to smash something out!

you asked nicely, so i’ll give you a day

The results are in!

2020JAM entropy GADFLY WEDD

You can get these worlds here:

A copy of ZZT and Zeta for Windows are bundled in the zip, so you can just extract and play.

Thanks for playing!

8 Likes

I know I’m coming in way past the buzzer, but I only heard about this now. Coincidentally, I made a ZZT game from Apr 4-ish and finished it on the 17th. Feel free to give it a look if you like.

1 Like

you can now play the entries in your browser:

4 Likes

I just played Goodfry Gadfly and I had a good time! I liked the bit about the bees killing their own tree to maximize short-term profits.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m glad you enjoyed it.

Some day or another I plan on making a fuller version of that world. I had a bit of a writer’s block after the jam ended, mostly because I was having trouble thinking of how to expand the scope of adventure-game-logic-stuff without muddling the messaging and semiotics I had in mind — but those concerns have slowly been getting resolved as I’ve been thinking about the project in the background. (Please look forward to it.)