Thai Protests (from a local foreigner)

So Sunday was three days since the last major demonstration, in which hundreds of thousands of Thais marched to the Government House (sort of like the Whitehouse) and presented the Prime Minister (military dictator) with a giant novelty resignation letter. At that time, the defacto leaders of that protest said we’d return in 3 days if PM Prayut didn’t resign.

Since then, the super-martial law (which allowed the government to shut down any business, including public transportation) has been lifted–most likely because it was deemed illegal in multiple court cases, and because the private public transportation companies and malls didn’t like being shut down (protests are great for business).

I believe the 21 protest leaders are still being held, though I feel like I see things about some being released and re-arrested from time to time. Rung and Penguin (main leaders) appear to be held longterm on the charges of disrespecting the Queen as she drove through their protest, unannounced.

There were some other Yellow Shirt (conservative royalists) protests, but they’re not too well documented on Twitter, so I had trouble following them. I saw some pictures that made them look like real protests–as many as 5,000-10,000 people. But…some seemed like they might be photoshopped. And in response to this some pro-democracy peeps on Twitter made some ridiculous photoshops as satire (people standing on roofs, people replaced by swarms of minions), and…then some Yellow Shirt accounts claimed THOSE were real. I suppose I should watch some livestreams to get an accurate assessment.

On Sunday, no follow-up march was announced. This isn’t too unusual for this movement. Unless a date is set day-of, it’s usually not kept. This could be down to organizational chaos, though…if it’s a strategy it’s worked really well. Each time it’s happened, we get reporting on how the police and military has mobilized, and it’s informed the real protest that follows.

In this case, the organizers had said they’d return to the Government House, so a scant grouping of Yellow Shirts showed up there (maybe 50-100?), the police set up barricades, and the city government donated mobile toilet trucks (Thai version of porta-potties). Let me tell you: they don’t do that when WE protest (though that Thai singer sometimes does).

On Saturday the big story was a video of the and Queen at a Yellow Shirt protest, and the King right up against a cell phone video, thanking the guy. It took a while for me to get why this mattered, but eventually I got it: this was proof that the King is aware of what’s going on and siding with Yellow Shirts and the military. This could be assumed before, but cannot be denied now. He can’t pretend to be politically aloof.

Even though nothing was really announced for Sunday, people were restless, so I started to hear about people gathering at a giant intersection among four or five luxury malls whose name translates to The King’s Road (a common protest location) at the usual protest start time of 4PM.

My GF called me at 6PM to say that she thought she could handle it, so we hustled to center city. By the time we were there it was night and the crowd was pretty massive? Probably about 100,000? There was no big theme to this protest–it was just people keeping the flame alive. One guy speaking when we got there was doing a bit of a standup set. Apparently, he was the last of the leadership of the Free Youth movement to be outside of jail. He was saying, “It’s just me! I’m lonely! They arrested me, but just threw me back. I’m like Naruto–they can’t catch me!”

In my next post, I’ll give you guys a little video/pic tour of the event which hopefully gives a sense of the scale.

13 Likes

BREAKING NEWS:
The two top Thai pro-Democracy protest leaders were set to be released from prison today after a judge ruled that police cannot keep arresting them for the same charge over and over (as they have for three straight weeks). Just now, police have done it again: forcibly transporting the leaders to another precinct where they can once again be imprisoned for placing a plaque on government property–a charge for which they paid bail weeks ago.

A crowd of protesters have stopped the police car in it’s tracks and broken the windows. The police have told one of the leaders–nicknamed Penguin–to quiet his people. He says, “Let me go! I was already released from this prison weeks ago!”

One of the protest leaders has fainted in the vehicle and is unconcious.

7 Likes

About 5-10 minutes into this stream there’s some amazing footage of the phone actually peering clearly into the police vehicle as it’s stalled by protesters. Couldn’t be a clearer view of history.

Like his friend, Penguin seems to be fainting from the heat and excitement.

He is 22 years old.

They took his shirt off and brought him a luxury office chair. Penguin refuses to go in the prison again. The police seem afraid that he’ll die and of the protesters.

Honestly, he looks like a pimp and a king, shirtless on his throne while people fan him.

Ambulance just arrived

The female founder of the protest movement has already been moved inside. In prison they shaved off her bleach blonde hair.

They should have been transported with their lawyers to… literally anywhere they wanted. They were free.

Instead, plain clothes officers shoved them into a van and drove them to a prison where they could theoretically be re-arrested.

To be completely clear: they’re supposed to be out on bail. They’ve been kidnapped.

1 Like

Unconcious protest leader Mike is being taken to the hospital in an ambulance. We don’t know yet if he fainted due to heat/stress or if he was choked out.

Omg they brought Penguin a mic and amp.

Penguin’s Speech

“Everyone calm down”

Police are forming a wall between him and the protesters. The police seem to evaporate. A crowd of protesters take their place and sit at Penguin’s feet.

"To everyone, the thing that happened today is just the first step towards our freedom, after 16 days in prison, police have tried to arrest us again without any guilt, with a case for which we were already released on bail. Follow the law. I can’t be arrested over and over. When Mike and I told the police that it’s our right, plain clothes officers tried to arrest us again. If the police try to arrest me again, I believe everyone here and me will stand for our rights.

But we will not use violence.

We will not use violence, because we want to make sure the law will be there for all of us, not only those who can protest for it.

The police must leave. This is a place for the people.

Everyone sit down. Let’s calm down. Come and sit."

A popular pop rock singer (who has been a major supporter of the movement from the beginning) arrives and walks into frame to hug Penguin. Police oom in the background.

"Whether you have good lawyers or not, the law must be equal. If you want to arrest me, arrest me. I will sit here until they understand that they have no right to arrest me again, to make sure that the law in this country is exercised correctly. If the police abuse me, I will sue them. The law will not work only for me but for everybody.

If you want to arrest again, you must have a case. Where is the leader of this police station? I have no quarrel with him. I don’t want to fight with the police. The police must choose a side: stand with the people or stand with a dictator."

The crowd chants, “Long live Penguin!”

They begin to recite a poem in unison while holding up the three finger salute, symbolizing the movement’s original three demands. The poem was written during the 1973 student uprising.

11 Likes

Penguin relaxes in his chair for a while, and an EMT comes to check on his breathing and maybe cuts from broken glass. He starts talking again.

“Sorry to sit here without talking to you guys. I have to explain one more thing from our lawyers. When they released me, the leader of this police station wanted to arrest me for three other cases from three other police stations. As all of those stations already arrested me, and the cases were dismissed, I am free by Thai law. Our lawyer team says maybe the police have made a mistake. So our lawyer is talking to those stations, and two of them just said, ‘Sorry. The case is dismissed.’”

Cheers.

"There’s only one station left who says their case is not dismissed. The Ayutthaya precinct wants to arrest me again and again. So I say to them, you have two choices: 1. Dismiss the case now. 2. If you think you have cause to arrest me, come and do it tonight. If that station comes here they can do it. But make a decision now.

To the people: I thank everyone who stood with me today. To the police: I don’t have any problem with being wrongfully arrested again and again. I have a problem with police breaking the law. To all police stations: recognize where the money come from to build them.

To Rung: come out here and sit with me."

Crowd: “Release Rung!”

Rung is at the door. Police seem to try to hold her back, but protesters use their bodies to wedge to door open and police give up. Rung walks out to cheers and sits beside Penguin.

Rung: “Thank you so much. I don’t know what else to say to those who fight for us. Thank you to all those who are still fighting, for everyone who sent me messages, my friends, thank you. One day our rights will extend outside. I’m waiting for that day.”

Rung’s sister is live streaming the scene inside the police precinct. A harried paper pusher is in full, “It’s not my fault” mode. He’s explaining that they were told that they had three warrants out for their arrest. Actually, all three are dismissed. They called two precincts which confirmed this. The third–Ayutthaya–will not. But unless they bring the documents now (1-2 hour drive), they can’t hold them.

Not many people mentioning that they were kidnapped by plain clothes officers. They’ll focus on that later.

10 Likes

The police bring out six packs of water for the crowd outside.

Penguin: “Thank you for the water. But we would also like human rights.”

Rung announces that the Ayutthaya station is on it’s way.

Penguin: "Inside that prison, it was very depressing. But everything we faced in there does not compare to what regular people face outside every day. Inside that prison we were not criminals; we were fighters. Still we were sad, because we could not stand with you. Whatever protests happened while we were imprisoned–as far as I could tell–it was a valuable movement for democracies all over the world. Our bodies were imprisoned. Our minds were free. They tried to imprison the stars, but more stars shine all over Thailand. I would like to promise everyone here, my heart still has faith in all people. The winds of change from all around the world have arrived in Thailand. This idea will spread over the whole country.

This is an important thing we have to say. In prison I had no news of the outside, other than what my lawyer told me. But from what I could hear, all over Thailand democracy is spreading. But the dictator still wants power. But the despots know that they have nowhere to go. So they try to make violence. They try to have their own protesters and try to make us fight each other. Even though the yellow shirts don’t stand a chance–10 people vs. 100,000-- we have to be careful. Even though there are only a few of them, they know they can’t get more. But they need just one picture to claim we’re violent. But we won’t give them even one picture. We are a peaceful protest. Our people are non-violent. If any violence happens it’s not from us. And don’t say it’s the Yellow Shirts either–you paid them to come out. It’s from you.

When you see the police all lined up with shields and guns, use your white ribbon and flowers. Wrap them in it. Make sure they know that flowers will bloom again. Thank you to everybody and all the media here. Thank you for being our witness."

The crowd chants a meme about the king. Rung laughs and says, “I don’t know that one.” No memes in prison.

10 Likes

Penguin just said that the Minister of Justice visited him in prison and danced around making some deal for them to give up on the protests. Penguin said the Prime Minister must step down. It’s non-negotiable. Rung says she was also visited, and the guy said, “Okay, what if we reformed the government and had a new constitution…but can’t you leave the king alone?”

Mike will need to stay in the hospital overnight. He is having trouble breathing, possibly due to being choked.

It should be noted that Thailand hasn’t had Covid cases beyond single digits in five months, and Mike is a typical skinny Thai guy, seemingly without health issues.

Edit: some video has come out of the time between Mike being choked and him fainting. He seems okay, so perhaps it was heat stroke? But why can’t he breathe hours later?

3 Likes

Someone spots a representative from the Ayutthaya police precinct and the whole crowd turns and shouts, “Release out friend!”

Penguin: “Yeah! Release me!”

Everyone laughs.

3 Likes

The crowd is getting huge!

It’s almost midnight on the Friday before a romantic, nostalgic holiday.

4 Likes

About an hour ago, a politician from the anti-military Future Forward party tweeted, basically, “Screw it! Who can sleep now anyway? I’m going to the police precinct.” She just walked by on camera, lol.

6 Likes

Breaking News:

In about 30 minutes we should know if the protest leaders can go home tonight.

The representative of the Ayutthaya precinct is there with the guy who runs all the precincts, talking to the protesters’ legal team. It should be noted that some of the movement’s lawyers have themselves been in and out of prison for speaking out against the king.

1 Like

One of the speakers warns, “Make a good decision now. Protesters are already gathered in front of the Ayutthaya precinct.”

1 Like

Thanks for the updates! This is a real good thread.

Just to feel like I’m contributing, our local Thai restaurant is called Larb (which I guess is another way of transcribing ‘Laab’). It’s their specialty, and there’s a half-dozen different varieties of it on the menu. They also do a ton of skewers, as they’re street-food themed. The most important thing to me is that their Tom Kha Gai is insanely good, our previous favorite place in Berkeley closed after the couple that ran it retired back home, so we had 2-3 years of very disappointing soup experiences before this place opened up.

2 Likes