Tenth Level Trivia (with Chuck Quizmo)!

Okay, y’all: that went INCREDIBLY well. Next week’s game is specifically focused on The Undead in videogames! So I’ll take your questions here.

in the NES game Monster Party, a giant deceased crab refuses to fight you, delivering this single line of dialogue instead

this famously difficult platformer forces you to beat it twice to rescue a princess from satan

in the game Earthbound, you need this special material to capture the zombies infesting the town of Threed

in this adventure game, you play a skeletal travel agent selling trips to the afterlife

the original Resident Evil was initially conceived as a remake to this rpg adaptation of a japanese horror movie

In Left 4 Dead 2, Rochelle’s t-shirt bears the logo of this musical act.

In Metroid, the fearsome Space Pirate commander Ridley is a persistent foe. How many times has Samus defeated Ridley?

this is rly good

Most of these are pretty good, but technically Grim Fandango doesn’t have any undead in it - they’re just dead.

It’s so close though

So close

Before it was properly translated to Walking Corpse in Dragon Quest VIII, the zombie enemy in Dragon Quest was called this. (Hork)

More to come

these all still seem insanely difficult to me but I want to hear how the first night(s) went!

It went REALLY well! Before each round, I got to interview the contestants, and I was authorized to hand out free beers to anyone who impressed me. I did this during the game too, whenever anyone gave a particularly bold (but wrong) answer.

There were some amazing upsets throughout - people who would get a question slightly wrong, and then another contestant would steal it for the win. An answer of Mass Effect 2, stolen to Mass Effect 3; an answer of The Old Republic, stolen to Knights of the Old Republic; an answer of Meat Boy, stolen to Super Meat Boy; an answer of Playboy, stolen to Playboy: The Mansion. That last one was actually the round-winning point between two guys, both named Greg, who were neck and neck that whole round.

Everyone in the audience erupted when I revealed the Who’s That Pokémon round, and people who weren’t even in that round started buzzing in from the audience! I called them up, and one of the intruders ended up getting more points than anyone who I actually called initially, so he went on to the finals and I gave the runner-up a beer.

The final round, which was stocked with questions from you impossible motherfuckers, was WAY more competitive than I thought it would be. I’m not afraid to get tough with it in the future.

Before the game started, I had a longplay of LSD: Dream Emulator playing on a projector above the panel, and at the end, one of my last questions was “which game’s been playing behind you the whole time?” and someone actually GOT IT.

One of the best questions was one I got from this thread: “Explain the plot of Killer7.” Absolute silence from the finalists. Eventually, I said, “Come on, somebody take a stab at it! Can anyone explain the plot of Killer7?” Adib, who ended up winning, buzzed in, with the answer: “No. It’s impossible.” I gave him the point.

4 Likes

Oh man, I love this one. Can’t use it this week but I’m holding onto it.

Which song from Daytona USA is better than Let’s Go Away?

Answer:

• King of Speed

In Plants. Vs. Zombies, what zombie doesn’t show up until midway through your second playthrough? (Zombie Yeti)

I feel like I should be able to think of more of these. I guess there’s that Jiang-Shi zombie in Darkstalkers

Somebody donated buzzers for the panelists! Things are really heating up.

the resurrection section should be called “Rise from your grave!”

We got our first sponsor! Terrapin Beer Co. will be underwriting next week’s trivia night. The rep specifically requested RPGs as the topic. I need questions for:

A JRPG round
A Western RPG round
An MMORPG round
A Tabletop RPG round
A super tough final round.

what organs remain in the nameless one’s body at the end of Planescape: Torment? ( srsly I don’t know )

OK guys, the topic for tomorrow’s show is PlayStation. That includes PS1-4 and the handhelds, and all the games you can play on them. I need like 9 more questions for the final round. Whatcha got?

I assume you have a Nintendo Playstation question in the early rounds? Otherwise asking who the third company involved was seems pretty good.

Yeah, got that in there already.

How many games are there in the Wipeout franchise?