tell me about some j-rock maybe

so i dunno if i posted about this before but this group “black editions” is reissuing p.s.f. records goodies, so far its just 6 albums or so. i also think they’ve been getting “psf” as in psychedelic speed freaks reformed, this time the anchor being munehiro narita guitar (w/white drummer and bassist) instead of blown out asahito nanjo bass. the music on the album i listened to has this driving, nighttime vibe, very little mc5 worship which is surprising.

anyway this black editions stuff is good, here we have a big comp in the style of the tokyo flashback series but all newish stuff? the live version of “out” by white heaven is what i am naturally crazed about, and not to say it isn’t spectacular, but it is not a significant departure from the album recording in terms of overall experience.

also, they ran a 2 night concert called “california flashback”

with an outrageous lineup. night 2 has heron oblivion (a band that’s obviously indebted to ghost (by way of both being indebted to pentangle and fairport convention etc.) and a kurihara-aping guitarist), the return of munehiro narita, major stars who fucking rule, and headroom who i cannot vouch for but this track “flowers of light” on their bandcamp has that kind of scorched/sunny/muted j-psych guitar with lazy rhythm section thing that up-tight, suishou no fune, white heaven, miminokoto, et. al have all dabbled in

anyway… this has all been cooking for the past couple years. if anyone is in LA black editions runs more live shows and galleries and stuff that seem neat enough. it dunno if it is picking up or winding down but this weird p.s.f. renaissance is… i guess appreciated but not even necessary. i was totally content with this whole thing being over (not that i have any say) and it’s not even old enough in my mind to get nostalgic about it but IT’S BACK. i dunno. it’s a strange function of the internet i guess that everything can be revived and revitalized even if it’s barely dead. maybe for these crate digger types who went to the old psf store in '91 or something this is a bigger deal. i just want more kurihara tracks really.

WTH I need to look at Twitter more often than once every couple of months. Tokyo Killer released a new album on September 15th. I posted my own rip of their first album in the information wants to be free, thread.

Keme from Kinoco Hotel, on lead guitar. Akiko Noma (Akko) from GO!GO!7188, on bass.

**oh, Akko is still away from the band, due to having her second child earlier this year. So bass on this album is Kato Tarou, from Beat Crusaders.

Oh they posted the whole album

2 Likes

Maybe a bit clean for my taste but undeniably well crafted:

1 Like
1 Like

one of my favorite discoveries these past years,

sadly I haven’t liked anything I’ve heard them put out after this quite as much

3 Likes

I recommend d[di:]'s Fire Star Man album if you want something different. Unfortunately, most of the tracks on YouTube are blocked outside of Japan. Germy7 is one of my favorite tracks, very upbeat.

I don’t really like either band on their own, but together, they’ve made one of my favorite tracks.

This is the best Sambomaster song – it has a very “charging through” sound.

This is from 1997 or something but it sounds like the kind of shit that got super popular here during the early 2000s.

3 Likes

I don’t know anything about these guys other than this song fucking rules

Sounds like a cross between early Devo and Big Black with Boredoms style vocals.

1 Like

A bit of DNA too with those vocals plus that guitar that’s low in the mix going nuts against the steady rhythm section.

white heaven’s “out” rerelease… 6 psych classics, re-engineered/remastered too. sounding real good but I dunno if it’s all the way better than the crummy 90s mix

white heaven followup with mostly the same characters. hearing kurihara in 2006 performing jammy/cosmic material like a groovy kawabata makoto is a trip, considering he was about to perform with boris on “rainbow” a year later where he’s more firmly in the “lead fuzz” job and doesn’t have the time or space for full freakouts on a super long set. Same kind of applies to earlier white heaven which has that sorta television-style very composed quality

full guitar god here with maybe the best performance of his i have ever heard. best living guitar player confirmed (again).

i got really into tricot last year and i think they’re maybe my favourite band now. i really dig how T H E is this blistering post-punk emo thing but also loving how much they shift and develop between albums. also this song is kind of brilliant in a UK 00s post-punk way

otherwise been fucking around on streaming services, and Uchuu Combini did a couple of good albums? Kinoko Teikoku were nice too, but i’ve mostly listened to them in my partner’s car so haven’t done a deep dive yet. started checking out this one act called Midori after @iguferon and they’re pretty all over the place in a good way

browsing back quickly through this thread and

did you check out tricot??

anyway i’m trying to study japanese now so will probably comb this thread for recs, but i’ve been spoiled by tricot and i kind of need at least two time signature changes per song now. can anyone help me out

guys… tricot good

3 Likes

yeah

5 Likes

actually i think that shirt is from the last concert i went to? i haven’t gone to any shows since moving to california, kind of funny i guess

anyway i guess i haven’t posted anything here in years so here’s FERN PLANET

edit: oh, and Rick Rack

also i still listen to a lot of me-al art but it’s uh difficult to link legally lol

oh dang, i want that shirt

i have been diggin a lot on regal lily lately

i think they’ve got a new album on the way! i have their previous album, bedtime stories (which this song is from) and it’s a goodun

chouchou merged syrups is good, forgot to mention them

still obsessed with this.

additionally, 2020’s “formula” by you ishihara rules and here’s one of the only reviews of it i can find, from a mysterious “c_deep”. gonna try this phase thing soon (downloading audacity for the first time in forever)

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/you-ishihara/formula/

It’s been 23 years since Passivite, 15 years since Perfect Place To Hideaway, 7 years since his remixes for Nisennenmondai and six years since the last Ogre You Bastard album he produced. Not only is You Ishihara one of the very few singers / writers / performers who managed to become authentic in a culture and language inherently foreign to him but he’s also one of the very few musicians from the 80s who managed to expand with the times and apply his knowledge to produce truly modern (or unheard?) records like the japanese version of Boris’ Smile or that fantastic run of Yura Yura Teikoku albums with a conceptionalist approach which also showed in his remix work for Yura Yura Teikoku or Nisennenmondai.

All this is good to know when approaching Formula. The original Formula (on vinyl and cd) consists of 2 lengthy pieces of busy ambiance recordings (city life basically) under which 6 new songs of Ishihara and friends (yes, Michio Kurihara is back again, too) are recognisable. Most will be immediately thrown off, as the ambiance recording will certainly be “too loud” for those who have come for the music. However, if you dedicate your attention to this record, you will notice the contrast between the mostly cool, calm and steady music and the busy surroundings creating a sense of distance to get lost in. Also, the ambiance recordings are carefully edited in order to work with the music’s flow, even as they threaten to overpower the music completely. Synths and backward effects are also at times subtly employed, creating a hypnotic and surreal effect clashing with the bursting-with-information hyperrealistic ambiance recordings.

As for the music, it’s is firmly in White Heaven / Passivite / The Stars territory, only even more mature and subdued. 4 songs have lyrics, there’s one keyboard instrumental and one lengthy jam which contrasts Kurihara’s spiky guitar with Ishihara’s haunting mellotron to a steady groove. Really, the music is great, brilliant as ever, shame that you can barely hear it, but more of that later.

About three months after the original issue, Ishihara released the deluxe edition of Formula on bandcamp, on which he added two more tracks. These tracks are basically the ambiance recordings as on the original album coupled with noisy electronics, think Merzbow or some of the more experimental Yura Yura Teikoku tracks. These noises don’t run all the way through and only at points do they dominate the ambiance recordings. They do, however, add a more dystopian, almost sci-fi atmosphere to the ambiance recordings.

There could end the review of the Formua deluxe edition. However, if you put the four tracks of the deluxe edition into a computer, turn the phase of the “ambiance and synth” tracks, mix them together with the original Formula tracks, you will receive a whole new record leaving only the music and synth noises (!). The ambiance recordings cancel each other out perfectly (!). When you do this, you will notice that the synth noises have carefully been added to the musical tracks, pitches and timings fit. 3 tracks (No.2,4 and the gentle fifth number about self doubt, barely audible on the original Formula) are left untouched by synths and are audible now in stunning clarity. (Could this whole concept about distance maybe also be a way of masking material deemed too personal, too insecure? Willingly or not, this deluxe edition with the ambiance and synth version is, apart from its own program, also a key to “unlocking the music”.) As for the other three songs, they kind of remind me of those Boris and Merzbow records (if one actually played the Gensho records at the same time), though the musical basis is pure You Ishihara. Wild stuff.

And then, if you’re really crazy, it’s also possible (just with phase shifting and stereo to mono conversions) to create a version of Formula that puts the music in the front, accompanied by the softened mayhem of the ambiance tracks and noisy synths. It’s this version that has become my go-to version.

You might argue that it’s pointless reviewing records that aren’t even real, but remember, Ishihara is a conceptionalist and producer. My point is that Formula (especially in the deluxe Bandcamp edition) is some next level ZAIREEKA sh.t. Only that Zaireeka, or Gensho for that matter, was about adding up (the discs), Formula is about addition, reduction and combination. This record is one of a kind and that’s why I give it 5 stars.

anyone keeping up with the new tricot singles? Bakuro seemed like just a mid-tempo pop-punk song with some slick time sig shifts and i was prepared for it to quietly grow on me but the new one Inai is pure math on a level i don’t think they’ve put out until now. interested to see if the 2020 albums were them refining and focusing their sound as much as possible and this is them hitting the prism and branching out all over now they can jump around chords and time signatures without you even really noticing. like they just seem like easily the most accomplished and breathtaking rock band out now

2 Likes

new tricot is very fun… album「上出来」out soon. i’m hype. they just keep churning them out!!

appreciate how this one seems to have two completely different titles in EN and JA (its English title is WALKING. i think it’s about zombies?)

3 Likes

number girl gang rise up. This song makes me cry everytime and this performance has the best guitar solo ever

Adding some the cabs here because they’re great

I also found this band (Neko Wo Orosu) recently. I love this song

And there’s nothing cooler than 60’s japanese garage rock. Prove me wrong

2 Likes