TALES OF B*

anyway next up we gotta get real heady on this shit:

can a game that looks like this

have anything redeeming hiding within

the answer may shock you

1 Like

Wait a minute am I supposed to be reading the thread title as BASTERISK

1 Like

do Tales games with visible encounters have anything interesting about entering the encounters?
I’m guessing there’s the usual “get a bunch of enemies to converge on one spot for Best Loot”, but is there facing-based initiatives? First strike attacks? Remote obliteration of enemy symbols?

if you attack an enemy from behind you start with one extra soul and in most tales games you usually get an additional incentive like all of the enemy starting stunned. in Berseria specifically they include the “group tons of enemies together” in an interesting way: when you do that it causes enemies to constantly respawn in mid combat making encounters more difficult and can also spawn rare monsters that only show up that way.

if an enemy attacks you from behind likewise, everyone starts with one less soul

1 Like

I have a lot of extra souls irl if you catch my drift

read the title however u want cuz honestly I hit “post thread” prematurely this wasn’t even supposed to be up for 1 more week. I dont post hre

A couple of the recent games have had the battles transition, but still take place on the same area of the field map as exploration. This can lead to some weird circles of engagement if you engage enemies at a chokepoint or something.

1 Like

I noticed in berseria that some stronger enemies have been being placed in places that are harder to escape from…makes ya think

More like TALES OF B&

3 Likes

i like graces f

I played tales of destiny in 199-whatever

I read about tales of phantasia in probably EGM in 199-somethingearlier in their ONLY IN JAPAN section

1 Like

Hyped to read this thread when I have the time because I played berseria for a couple hours and it was really good. I actually let’s played it but the less said about that the better. I’m really not good at it.

I keep waiting to grab a cheap copy of Berseria on PS4 because I know I won’t play it on a PC, but I also kinda really enjoy Tales games and their silliness, but only occassionally.

this might be the first Tales of game I play, because i want to be an angry demon lady. In real life.

My sister only really plays two games, and therefore collects them: Harvest Moons, and Tales Ofs (Ofes? (Oves?). I’m the console haver in the house which means if she wants to play the latest Tales game, I’m gonna see a lot of it too.

I saw her play both Berseria and Zestiria in chunks back and forth because she’s the kind of person who can actually play multiple RPGs simultaneously. And let me tell ya. Those two games being played simultaneously led to some crazy bullshit revelations.

Also she plays on easy mode so I have no idea how these combat systems work or feel.

I actually still want to play through Phantasia one day because I think it has nice kinaesthetics (the game freeze-frames every time you hit an enemy). Also I sympathize with the dev of Wolf Team because Phantasia was going to be a novel, and eventually he lost his baby to Bamco ;__;

2 Likes

You can say Tales Oves because of Wolves and of Elves (and also Milves, I guess)

you know its weird to say that a tales oves game does something novel in the beginning section but it actually does: pound for pound the opening part of this damn ass anime game is better put together and altogether shorter than the one in tales of zestiria where you explore a huge fuckin dungeon and talk to invisible people like I give a shit

the beginning of the game starts like this (I am using approximated images cuz fuck Namco and blocking me on ps4 from screenshots)

only velvet (we don’t know her name!) is trapped in a well and not outside that’s the important part. the game plays the Anime version of the entire opening sequence. we dunno who this gal is: but she’s on the box

so we know she’s fuckin important. also its weird that despite NA boxarts still being in a decade of hardcore edginess that a game about a literally bloodthirsty woman has a box where she’s doe-eyed and pouty. fuck videogames, fuck Namco. ill be saying that a lot as I age I think, and even more so when I lose more friends and get more tales oves games.

only suddenly the game pulls a switch-up and you think some metal gear solid 2 shit is going on.

and it’s like:

Laphicet, Wake up!"

and you’re going “whoah who’s laphicet I thought I was a cool girl” and it’s some blonde kid: and then you go through a scene of brotherly/sisterly love (but not in a fire emblem way) and you’re suddenly this girl and her little brother living in a cottage in a beautiful forest in autumn

and you’re this girl but not in like a live action way:

but wait did a jrpg just swerve me in like six different ways and the answer is: kind of

here’s the forest area its like secret of mana or something dude

and you spend the brief intro sequence running around hunting Hogs, doing Tales Oves Combat Systems and being a peppy villager girl whom takes care of her little brother who is sick and kind of useless

6 Likes

unrelated to berseria but my sister and I were looking at the cutting room floor and discovered that apparently Tales of the Tempest was considered a fucking disaster among tales fans and critics

however it’s opening theme is a goddamn banger

one of my favorite things about japanese songs is how ん gets to be its own syllable

1 Like

Technically that’s how it works in the language as a whole, and I agree that it is quite amusing.