tabletop rpg thread, second edition

Oh yeah, if a player is forced to name drop their hometown or something (which I love doing), I’ll make a note to work that into the map. Building your world around your players is important but completely ceding final say is a bad idea. Don’t be a frustrated fantasy novelist, but don’t be a total push over,

One of my players was taking about how cool Wesley Crusher’s rpg podcast is because he makes his players make up what they see in a dungeon room when they kick down a door. That sounds mega whack.

I wouldn’t trust my players to do that.

1 Like

there’s an rpg from the early 00s called donjon I believe that’s intentionally a comedy/joke game where whoever rolls the most successes gets to state facts about the world, whether player or GM. It has its flaws but it is really fun as a one shot (I would never play a long game in this mode)

It stemmed from a dnd game where someone rolled a search check for secret doors and the gm hadn’t noted any secret doors there. The gm just said “Sure, there’s a secret door there” and just said yes to any question after a successful check. It can be good stuff.

I run a pretty heavily improved game when I run a game, but I never let someone get to define a fact about a world without some tweaking. Its actually an old principle of story-game design

When one person is the author of both the character’s adversity and its resolution, play isn’t fun.

Which, yeah. If a player kicks down a door and gets to say what’s behind the door and then overcome what’s behind the door? That’s boring as shit. You can still ask a similar question and get much more fun results: “what’s the first thing you notice in the room?” and then no matter what they say, you can take that detail and twist it as you please. Even if they say some monty haul thing like “loads of magical treasure” you can turn that into “all the gold coins are a rare breed of magical scarab that devours dead organic materials” so that when they pick it up pretty soon their equipment and half their armor falls apart. And if they’re clever, they’ll store those scarabs to use as a trap for later opposition.

6 Likes

if someone checks for traps and i think to myself “there probably would be traps huh,” well, suddenly,

when i introduce a mystery i always have a solution in mind but depending on how players approach things i adjust details, and if someone comes up with an internally consistent theory that’s cooler than what i came up with, well

when people get bored or frustrated by a challenge, i adjust it to be a little easier behind the scenes

etc

i think knowing when and when not to do this (e.g. to avoid cheapening the world that shouldn’t just exist as a direct object to players’ actions) is one of the most important GM skills for letting everyone have a good time

4 Likes

can we split this back into the rpg thread? ernest cline shouldn’t get to ruin any more of my stereotypical nerd interests

2 Likes

Wasn’t following the thread these stemmed from originally and am at work right now, but later I’ll add on to this conversation way too late to be relevant

I think your quoted point comes back around to why the improv “yes, and” approach isn’t an advisable way to approach significant moments in the game.

1 Like

My personal style for GMing leans heavily on improv for certain. The only things I prep are the personalities, aesthetics, and basic idea of characters and I roll with the punches for the rest of it. I’ve also made a bunch of random tables, which are just images rather than stat blocks or whatever. It works really well and I recommend it for other lazy and or busy GMs

It’s actually I think the biggest challenge for the podcast, since I have to actually write an plan somewhat so that: episodes end with tension or something instead of oh well this is where we cut the audio, having character stats and abilities put down because even though my players don’t call me out on continuity errors very often listeners probably would

Also @GRIMglamfire definitely post about that campaign! The little bit that you told us when we visited like a year and a half ago was real cool

1 Like

it’d require to me lay bare deepest personal truths about how manipulative I was towards my players

I mean that’s just a statement, im 100% game I love messing with nerds

1 Like

nah we just silently judge you instead

get the game, ladies and gents. i’m “on-line” again and here’s a post about the longest running game of DND i’ve ever been a part of part 1 of 6 or whenever i run out of steam and stop posting about things people like:

here’s some backstory

probably ten years ago when my brothers and i were all on speaking terms and my oldest brother was still with his highschool sweetheart we all got together for a legendary game of DND among our friends. We houseruled our own campaign setting and then played a Sky Pirates themed game of DND that took inspiration from the roleplaying game i was involved in Valikorlia + Eberron and a bunch of shit my brothers and i made as kids.

It was very much a Family Game
I guess when my brothers moved away they kept playing in that setting and then it evolved a bunch. my brother always craved adventure in his life, but he’s never really gone anywhere or done anything until recently.

we’d been playing at the house we lived in, a table with our friend Ransom that was inspired by Anime and japanese folklore that was kind of this crummy group storytelling exercise. One night after playing it, my older brother gets all wistful with me about the campaign setting we’d made as kids. I get all wistful about playing that roleplaying game Valikorlia and kind of the last days of the server.

We were expecting a different cast to play the first table than what we got, so after explaining what it was like I tell my older brother I’ll write a table that can kind of let him know what it was like to really play that huge roleplaying game back in the heydey of it. I’m sitting and thinking all fuckin day: how can I do this? this is stupid. what have i done

then I get to work writing. I know my brother also wants to do a table in that campaign setting. as a joke, we used the band The Ramones name backwards, so our campaign setting was Senomar.

I had to ahve something to pull my players in immediately, which ended up being my brother playing the great-great-great Grandfather of the character he played as a teenager. That character is Marcus Firebrand, and my friend Ransom ends up playing Rou, a tiefling blackguard/paladin esque guy i let him come up with cuz he’d never played DND before.

Immediately I set my hook: i was gonna use a bunch of music and references to shit my players like to get them invested.

You gotta understand: Megaman Legends was maybe the only fuckin’ videogame my older brother ever liked. He’d talk about it all the damn time. I bet he’s still telling his girlfriend who hates me and videogames all about how Megaman Legends is the best thing ever.

so I did a foreward for my campaign. I set it up with the opening line from megaman legends that I know my brother never forgot:

“In a world covered in endless water…” that was my hook. here’s how to get me though: start the campaign in a musty tavern filled with too many NPC’s in a city covered in snow. that’s what I love in a campaign setting and it’s exactly what i did for my players.

They immediately made friends with an anarchist, blew up a church and robbed a bunch of people cuz I was extremely flat footed and had never DMed before. My brother wanted to steal an artifact and i let his pirate character do it when they held up a church full of innocent people: a flask that makes you sober when you drink it.

the lesson i learned was: all players have things they like, and you can game the system to make em feel like they’re playing something you haven’t written over so everybody gets the enjoyment out of it they want

1 Like

I had originally wanted to link some videos and pictures with this I sourced from, but I’m primarily doing this on the forum to prepare for putting it on my website so I hope nobody minds.

One of the things we ended up drawing from for the campaign instead of Western Fantasy music of lutes and tapping feet was a lot of irish and Scottish tavern music and tons of sea shanties.

Listen: Three years of this campaign setting and I now have a soft spot in my heart for sea shanties and the way we used them in the campaign. Don’t play D&D kids, or you’ll have to explain to your kids why you know the lyrics to Randy Dandy Oh.

Also: All of the sea shanties in Assassins Creed: Black Flag are the worst versions of them.

Sea Shanties got used a bunch because of my brother’s character, Marcus Firebrand being a time-displaced infamous pirate at the beginning of the campaign. I really leaned heavily into that after we came up with it because it let me pull things all over the place from all of our campaigns. Time Travel is generally a big no-no during tabletop sessions because it lets players fuck around too much but I have two rules I try to follow.

1. never let your players be in control of the time travel
  2. try to make your time travel less back to the future year jumping and more Dark Souls type magical temporal displacement.

The first starting area I based on some of the architecture from Bloodborne. It was a frozen and mono-theistic resort town on a Cliffside with kind of white, frozen over gothic architecture. It was the perfect place to start a wild tiefling and a pirate in my eyes than in a place that’s mostly high society.

The first kind of “storyarc” I set for both of my players and guests was trying to find a way out of the city. I like doing cities because I can continually recycle alleyway ephemera and the iconography I liked from old superhero comics. All the criminals in my comics are generally rooted in superhero comics in some way and tend to be masked vigilantes, costumed anarchists.

I based the one my players met off of a character that had been played before who was a costumed anarchists and a stealth-batman parody that the government of the city referred to on wanted posters as The Jerk.

Things I did not expect my players to do in the first two games but I let them get away with:

roll on bizarre metaphysical concepts
blow up a church

I should also mention my goal in these early games was to immediately start building the role of the final villain, Rastance Kendon. I had some villain characters describe him with titles and feats he’d completed but I knew I wanted the players to not encounter him.

To keep the drama alive, I had to find ways to keep the ever looming shadow of Rastance on the players minds. Even at the earliest game I knew I wanted to build the final conflict around emotional payoff and not some kind of fun mechanical gambit cuz I had two fools invested.

All of the things I was doing for Marcus and Rou at this point also left me scratching my head with how I’d be able to include new players when they wanted to join permanently. Without guests at the moment, that left me to kind of “play” The Jerk

we had a rule for the sea shanties and pirate songs we used and it was "no barretts privateers ever"
Here are some favorites we used in the campaign:

here’s a song that became my absolute favorite in the campaign

There’s a whole channel on youtube of someone’s hand drawn-in-charcoal on tea paper anime characters with like that 2000’s era Inuyasha Deviantart dressed as pirates over classical naval folk songs and it’s a really bizarre tone

I want to play @haley’s game because it looks rich and has a lot to tinker with. Also, I’m down to help layout any future .pdf of it?

1 Like

:blue_heart::blue_heart::blue_heart:

wait, did you make an account just to say something nice about my game? oh wow…

yeah i’d be happy to have volunteer help with formatting, though the book is currently on hiatus while i work on THE LEGEND OF THE TOWERFUCKER

I had an account on the last version of the forums, but I just forgot to register a new one for Selectbutton II, I guess.

For lack of updates from the podcasts I already listened to, I started on Adventure Zone, and boy, does it make me want to play some Dungeons and fuckin Dragons.

I guess 5th edition sounds pretty cool? Almost like Basic Fantasy with a couple neat concepts like advantage. (He says, knowing fuck all about tabletop systems.) I’d play that.

1 Like

Its got a bit more cruft than that but the mcelroys already ignore like 90% of the rules (5e does make it easier to ignore rules tbf). Can’t wait for them to switch systems to something closer to their style.

So I found a thing online which seems to be all the rules without any style stuff and now I spend all my idle time inventing simple, efficient solutions to make the weapons and armor hugely more realistic without changing too much about the game help