tabletop rpg thread, second edition

been thinking a lot lately about the knights of ferrena from my other tabletop setting, the mist cycle

i would really like to run it eventually

i dropped the campaign i had run for almost two years for personal reasons but after my book is done (eventually! im still inching along with it) ill probably have a hard time stopping myself from starting a new thing with the same system but this setting

the mist cycle takes place on a single landmass of unknown geography where each season lasts a week and where people constantly travel to stay ahead of the oncoming and encircling mist, where monsters live. most of human civilization is made up of herders, wandering bands and wagon caravans; all trade is barter; only cults are zealous enough to try to build “permanent” settlements; people generally travel in familial groups like in early human history, each of which has its own culture and values and follows its own deity, with most exceptions being groups of outcasts from different families.

the knights of ferrena are one of these familial groups. unsurprisingly, mining is practically non-existent in this world (with only rumors of Earth Potter mages who tunnel constantly beneath the soil and raid small caravans with pit traps and mudslides), and the only practical way to get metal is through the goddess Ferrena, who can be invoked by mystics to conjure her Seven Heavenly Materials:

1. iron
  2. moonsilver (weaker than iron, but can harm magical creatures)
  3. coal
  4. fire
  5. water
  6. precious gemstones (can be used to enchant items)
  7. blood

all of these are considered holy, which is why followers of ferrena do not spill the blood of their enemies except in self-defense. at age thirteen they make a pilgrimage into the mists with a moonsilver saber forged specifically for them, and if they return with the head of a monster are knighted with the same sword, which they keep for the rest of their lives. knights gain favor with Ferrena (necessary for invocations) by showing reverence for Her Materials and performing virtuous acts. no group is more trusted to guard caravans from bandits or deliver precious cargo between families. their desirability as warriors and their monopoly on precious metals make them one of the most influential groups in the known world, perhaps even exceeding the Druids of the Worm Mother, the only people who can grow crops fast enough to make agriculture viable

there are twelve deities (might expand it to twenty in the future) and i want to give them all really cool stuff. i honestly might like this setting more than the one i’ve been working on forever, oops

3 Likes

This premise completely rules.

Want a JRPG of this stat

maybe i’ll just do a post for each of the gods assuming it doesn’t bore people too badly, most of my posts in this thread have been dumping rough drafts anyway

right now the gods are:

the one the many
anansi, story-spinstress cimmeria, she-who-has-fallen
aubade, vision of the sun nocturne, dream of the moon
aysel the goat mother akane the worm mother
wepwawet, opener of ways samsara, closer of cycles
mother carey and her hideous tempest ferrena and her seven heavenly materials

1 is the enemy of 12, 2 is the enemy of 11, etc. there are a lot of blood feuds.

i’ve been thinking about making the mist cycle the primary setting of my book since there’s already overlap for most of the things i care about and i’m more excited and confident about this as opposed to Generic Medieval Fantasy/the sunk costs are still relatively low, but i dunno how the people i’m collaborating with are gonna feel about that

2 Likes

this has always been my aesthetic goal, yeah

yeah put me down as digging this premise, I want to play in it nowwww

1 Like

aww :blue_heart: your approval has always meant a lot to me, thank you

if im going to get serious about this im probably gonna have to watch some documentaries on nomadic cultures, huh. i am still allergic to books, they demand more focus than my brain can handle these days (and are deeper dives than im usually ready for regardless)

idk. your grasp of history has always been stronger than mine, you’d probably be a better writer for this than me lol. if you ever feel like throwing wikipedia links at me i could use the guidance, e.g. Mother Carey’s Vandals are going to be explicitly based on vikings and ancient mediterranean piracy but my knowledge of both doesn’t really extend past pop culture >~>;

i sure have no confidence in my writing ability etc

Watch the old NHK Silk Road documentary! It’s on youtube!

It’s also possibly the greatest documentary ever filmed

5 Likes

holy fuck that is a lot of documentary

i will probably watch all of it over the next couple weeks though, nhk puts out good stuff

I am an utter philistine but Radio War Nerd has a couple real great episodes about the people who eventually became the Uyghurs, the Muslim people of northwest China, that entails a lot of talking about the steppe people of the north and their movements to the south and west (for example did you know that Turks were originally a Mongolian steppe culture and that’s why there’s Turkic people stretching all the way from Manchuria to Anatolia now? I didn’t!)

You watch that documentary too

(also yes I knew that about Turks, did you know that Cossacks are turkic so it actually stretches from manchuria to ukraine)

I mean I knew you knew, you dirty Cossack.

Tulpa how do you feel about our great Neo-Ottoman unifier, the immortal Recep Tayyip Erdogan

umm

uhh

pictures that make you reconsider things

korean fansubs on an english version of a japanese/chinese co production

…information deserves to be free imo?

is there a copy i can watch in english somewhereeee

I haven’t found one but admittedly I hadn’t looked very hard because I just put up with having a green box partially obscuring any undubbed dialog

1 Like

1 Like

So Haley and I spent quite a bit of time today figuring out all of the NPCs for our podcast, and it turned out rrrrrreal good.

But first I should explain the premise of the podcast cause the only time it’s been mentioned on this forum was that we were doing it

The world it takes place in is just a hollow shell that covers thousands of long-forgotten cities and civilizations, all layered on top of each other. The deeper you go, the more dreamlike they become, like the world only half-remembers them. Also, (almost) nothing is born in the traditional sense, nearly all life is spontaneously formed. For this reason, most people are simply elementals, made out of rocks or water or the air, though there are meteor-people and dream-people.

There is believed to be one Great Soul who exists in all life, and is represented in its many forms through various different Gods. There are two major factions in the world, THE CHURCH, who seeks to destroy the ruins, in hopes that the world will heal itself and be able to grow precious gems and metals. In opposition to them is THE ARCHEOLOGISTS, who have taken refuge within some of the ruins, and seek to gain their wisdom and technology, and have begun worshipping their great figures.

Of course, there are those who would cut themselves from the Great Soul entirely, and the Heretics of the Blasphemous Flesh have been very effective at just that. While they might not have the Magic or the Weaponry which the Gods can provide, they have devised a twisted combination of science and magic which allows them to gain great power at even greater costs.

The premise for the podcast itself is that the Archeologists are looking for membership, because they need to expedite their efforts to save the ruins. They simply don’t have the manpower to hold back the Church. Though rather than accepting all applicants, everyone who wants to join is put into a team of 4, with a coach to help them through what they have called The Great Test, a three-stage exam which will test the worthiness of the applicants, and will likely eliminate some teams along the way.

What we were working on today was the non-player teams, of which there are 4. Two of them are rival teams to the player teams, with characters designed specifically to be cool rivals for each player character. Though there is one exception where two players from the different parties are each other’s rivals. The important part is, everyone has a recurring opponent who they can look forward to and this podcast is basically just my excuse to run shonen story arcs as a tabletop campaign.

The really good stuff we made wasn’t the rivals, though (especially since most players have not really fleshed out characters since we aren’t recording until late August, early September). The juicy bits were the other 2 teams and the 6 coaches, who are a tabletop greatest hits of characters from previous campaigns Haley and I have ran. One of the teams is the party from a month-long campaign I ran with absolutely no prep, and a very embryo stage system. The other is characters from a few DnD campaigns I’ve ran in the past, pulling the coolest player characters. Both of them have had their characters reimagined mechanically, but more importantly, they’ve both come together with really interesting stories for why they’re joining and they really excite me!

The coaches are all NPCs (and one PC) from the 2-year campaign Haley recently ended, and they’re all amazing. Much like the teams, the characters have been modified quite a bit to fit a different setting and a different system, but they keep all of their important elements that made them lovable in the first place.

Also we live right next to a game store and we went window shopping today while we were doing groceries, and damn that place ruled and hoo boy are we poor.

Anyway I’m really excited about this setting and these characters and hope the podcast ends up coming together well

4 Likes

tl;dr:

and it rules

2 Likes

this is a mess of extraneous proper nouns and i am sorry

it is 5 AM and i am not going to workshop or proofread this at all, i need sleeeeep

#❸: :sunny: daydreamers of aubade, vision of the sun :sunny:

they come the closest of anyone to true pacifism, and are unsurprisingly the most dependent upon the knights of ferrena to not die; the daydreamers and knights are practically sister tribes.

the daydreamers claim that they came long ago from a land across the sea and far beyond the mists, though the concept of there being something out there mostly just confuses other tribes: there is, was, and will only ever be The Way, forever.

aubade the sun goddess allows almost no invocations and accepts no other deities before her but provides one unique ability: while among their tribe, daydreamers exist simultaneously in the waking world and the Kingdom of Heaven, an aethereal world of ancient stone castles set upon floating islands populated by strange and fantastical birds, surrounded by infinite sky.

the only invocation aubade allows is to phase entirely into this kingdom and never return. those who do will never hunger, but cannot have children (church doctrine for this is something something original sin, but it could also have something to do with them being practically ghosts, who knows). the fact that the kingdom never has to go anywhere and faces few external threats means that the daydreamers have luxuries other nomads cannot afford: an extensive and well-preserved written history, permanent structures and homes, universities, etc. it’s a lot less shitty in heaven than in the mists (as daydreamers are reminded literally every waking second) and so pretty much every daydreamer wants to make the invocation and leave, but if they did then they’d all be dead in a generation, so their society in the waking world is built more around self-preservation than anything: fulfill your obligations to keep the church alive and you will be allowed into heaven, go there of your own accord and they’ll make a ceremony out of throwing you into the Pit of Anathema, which is a fancy word for kicking you off one of the islands and letting you fall until you die of old age. the threat gets across.

it’s like the fantasy vatican

the daydreamers have an extremely hierarchical society centered around the church and choosing one of a few set vocations to earn their way into heaven. e.g., daydreamers can choose to become monks of aubade and spend their time in heaven transcribing the oral history of any outsider willing to pay whatever tribute the church asks for.

the most common magic among the daydreamers is stellar cartomancy. some hone this skill deliberately (the most powerful cartomancers that worship abaude end up growing wings and gaining angelic powers), but those with innate ability usually discover that they are incapable of some spells but extraordinarily proficient at others: they are disciples of one of aubade’s four starchildren. from then on, their path in life is usually decided for them.

###disciples of hesediel the bloody dove

disciples of hesediel are good at healing and protection spells. they’re about as close to final fantasy white mages as you can get. the church thinks this projects a positive image so they send them out as missionaries to other tribes, where they are tasked to heal the sick and wounded and win hearts and minds. the results have been mixed.

the disciples of hesediel seem always to live cursed lives. when they leave their tribe as missionaries (usually at around 15 or 16 years old) they are severed from the kingdom of heaven. for children who grew up living two lives at once, this feels a lot like dying.

they are alone four times over. they are teenagers. they are apart from their friends and families. they are apart from their world. and they are looked upon with distrust and disdain by the tribes they visit, who assume them to be thieves or spies.

they have a hard time convincing anyone abaude would improve their lives much when they want to die all the time.

###disciples of kushiel the punisher: war priests and sisters of battle

disciples of kushiel are incapable of healing magic, but make excellent witch hunters and holy fighters. the church prizes them, but to maintain its doctrine of pacifism it conscripts them to work among the knights of ferrena. technically they are excommunicated during this time for committing violence, but are pardoned and admitted into heaven after seven years of service.

everyone realizes the hypocrisy here but no one is really sure what to do about it. it has been this way for untold time: the church provides valuable service to the knighthood, and in exchange the knighthood offers the daydreamers more protection than any other tribe. it is most of what keeps the daydreamers alive. the disciples of metatron are most of the rest.

###disciples of metatron the prophet: the blessed children

disciples of metatron specialize in seer magic, and begin manifesting their magic at an earlier age than any other kind of spellcaster; it grows in them unwillingly, and faster than the maturity or understanding they would need in order to control it. children can potentially get their wings at age eight and die in the process. so when clergy discover a “blessed child,” they admit them immediately into heaven and take them into the inner sanctum of the church, where they are taught how to suppress their magic, and eventually to direct it. cut off from the physical plane at an extremely early age, they quickly see the kingdom of heaven as the real world and the world of the mists as a strange dream. from then on, they dream every night of the physical world. the events they witness are seemingly random, from anywhere in the world of the mists, past, present or future. with time and training, they can lucid dream their way through our reality, warning the church of present or future dangers and even dreaming of the past and casting spells there to alter the course of history in the church’s favor.

the blessed children are worshipped for this. their every need is attended to within the inner sanctum as long as they are useful. it’s really creepy in a child beauty pageant kind of way. most people have no idea any of this goes on. blessed children eventually grow up to become the heart of the church’s clergy.

###disciples of lucifer: the liberated/heretical psions

disciples of lucifer lose access to seer magic, the discipline of cartomancy that the church considers the most holy, and for that alone they would be shunned. it doesn’t help that what they specialize in instead involves things like mind control and melting people’s brains. as with every starchild, disciples of lucifer never chose to be that way, but this doesn’t stop the church from labeling them witches and devils and casting them out if they are ever discovered. so they work hard to make sure that never happens, and the nature of their magic makes them exceptionally good at it.

no one discusses why aubade would choose to grant anyone these powers if she thought they were inherently evil unless they want to get a solid kick into the pit of anathema

psions who are cast out can end up anywhere, but the brigands of nocturne (the church’s biggest enemies) are just about the only group willing to accept them as one of their own.

1 Like