tabletop rpg thread, second edition

everyone needs a good hype man (or hypette)

speaking of charisma perks there’s also one now that makes enemies hit you less hard and it’s called Not the Face and basically i’m the master of puns, i will not apologize

1 Like

games should be stuffed with fun

This is making me think of the time I started to design a Steven Seagal RPG, where everyone played as custom versions of Seagal. It had (early draft) rules for stuntman usage and charisma checks for making up your CIA backstory.

3 Likes

So many charisma perks y’all

This stat keeps getting better/funnier to me and is also legit mechanically interesting. charisma-in-combat is just… it’s so good. some samples (obviously these are some fast-and-loose rough notes from a sleep-deprived procrastinating haley but don’t worry about that part):

#charismatic characters are good at being friends

#charismatic characters are good at talking to people

#charismatic characters are persuasive

2 Likes

This is entirely me

some of the reference art i saved today

#gems

#aether magic

#alchemy

#the gods

#the astral plane

#the lich kingdoms

#ents

5 Likes

got a little bit of (rough draft) work done for lunar witches today

1 Like

It’s that time again. Now I’ve set up apart a sketchbook only for this.

PD: I have to add that after consideration, we are indeed calling our campaign A Song of Duck & Horse

7 Likes

please make this into a reproducible zine I would buy a copy

I want it very badly

Not sure how feasible it is given that is a concertina I made myself (so the page size is not standard) so the format is ‘big strip of paper folded and drawn both sides’. But given how other people in the office want it at the very least I will make a good scan of the whole thing.

The games I make and hack are pretty different from the rest of the games in this thread, but I’ll post the link anyway

Shades Without Mirror

This is the newest version of my cyberpunk hack of Swords Without Master. Its a fairly involved hack that has had way too much playtesting for something that never got a real release.

If you want to get an idea of what Swords without Master is like, here’s a free quickstart/demo adventure of the system.

3 Likes

so for a few months we’ve been planning to start another campaign in the fall, hopefully right around when we finish my system’s book because i still like to pretend there’s a chance of that happening that quickly. @Khan’s gonna be running it and me and @contentdeleted and zoey are all players, and most importantly we want it to be a podcast so that’s a thing we wanted to gauge interest in, Tell Us What You Think in the Comments

khan’s system is pretty cool because it let me do all of these things without GM fiat:

• there are a bunch of pantheons in the setting with hundreds of gods between them but one of them is long-dead celebrities rediscovered as god-like beings (there’s an actual table/ruleset for this and it’s wonderful) so i wrote up an elf girl who’s a cleric of babe ruth

• seriously the pantheons are real neat, each god has an associated weapon (you can only use weapons of gods you worship) and two schools of magic that are just one-word themes that all the spells you write have to stick to, like “gravity magic” (there are no spell lists, just rules for writing your own spells and GM guidelines for assigning them levels)

• there’s no class system, only skills that you pick between to give to your character and skill points you gain and allocate between them, so i picked up three different schools of magic: the two schools associated with my god, Baseball Magic and Victory Magic, and the spell school associated with my race, Word Magic, which lets me pick words to know the true names of and manifest/manipulate/invoke them through spells using History (Linguistics)

• you can pick two casting archetypes for every school of magic, each of which has its own benefits/drawbacks. for Baseball Magic, i took Knick Knack, which means i have a casting implement i cast my spells through (i chose a baseball bat, duh), and Sniper, so all my Baseball spells are projectiles. for spell writing you can reduce the level of a spell by one if it requires a physical gesture, so she points at enemies and calls her shots like babe ruth because that’s hilarious. her spells for this school are things like Curve Ball, where she deliberately misses and has the ball arc back around to try and sneak attack enemies, or Out of the Park, where you have to make a save to not be teleported out of combat if it hits you.

• for Victory Magic, i took The Possessed One so that instead of casting spells she can perform seances and bring spirits into her body that help her out, like some millenium puzzle type shit. so of course before every encounter she puts on some eye black, rips open a pack of ancient baseball cards, and chooses one of the ones she drew to help her out (i’m using a tarot deck for this because there’s a system for that too). i also took Don’t Think So Loud because the whole seer/mystic thing and psychic powers go pretty well together imo

• for Word Magic, i took Stand Powers and wrote up a giant catcher who floats a few feet behind her and has protective gear reimagined as knight armor and a buckler he guards his master with that’s literally just a baseball diamond because in the future no one understands how baseball is played. his eyes have no irises and are just perpetually-spinning baseballs, and other than DIAMOND the only other Words he knows the magic for are things an umpire would shout, like BALL or SAFE. he only casts protective spells, and he always floats behind her and never speaks except to shout spells in a voice that’s halfway between an angry umpire and a parent worried about his kid’s safety, so she sorta just forgets he’s there most of the time. so he’s like her guardian angel, and also like a dad at a little league game who is incredibly proud of his daughter but constantly worried about her tripping and getting hurt, the kind who carries around band-aids and a packed lunch and some spare change specifically to buy ice cream with for her. like the rest of her magic, and her kid-obsession with a sports legend, he’s a manifestation of her desire to have a family/father figure that doesn’t suck. i’m definitely not projecting my fears and insecurities onto an OC here nope

anyway her name is cheri yoshida and here’s her baseball card

7 Likes

so when’s zoey joining sb

My wife’s name is zoey and I have been drinking so I am 100% disconcerted right now.

If you run the occasional filler session on roll20 I’ll join in to be a weirdo old-person occasionally.

You should def do a podcast esp if you have good microphones! (If you don’t, steal them from someone because so many tabletalk rpg podcasts have the worst mics)

Podcast yes please!

we’ll be having everyone there in person in a dedicated recording room with multiple omnidirectional microphones so we’ll be doing better than 90% of these things by default lol

we should do a one-off thing at sbcon imo~! not to record or anything but it would be really fun