Tabletop RPG Making Thread

I found this re: eating monsters. Coins and Scrolls: Monster Menu-All

Pretty fun. I feel like a lot of home games will be incorporating monster eating soon

one of my dnd characters years ago developed a habit of eating monsters, and she got some small effect (sometimes positive, sometimes negative) from doing so

What did you do around eating the monster? Was there cooking or preparation involved?

no, it was literally just saying, after killing a new monster for the first time “and then marmanousa’s gonna eat part of it”, and the dm would come up with some effect that the meat would have (temporary fire resistance for eating a fire beetle, for example)

1 Like

Horizontal or Vertical?

3 Likes

hori, deffo

2 Likes

hori

2 Likes

Hori looks way cooler but I think if I was actually sitting at the table using it it’d drive me nuts

1 Like

no it ends up feeling like you have more space for dice, and maps and miniatures and all the other optional rpg junk

a lot of games do horizontal layouts now, it’s not right for every game but for an osr-ish thing it is ideal

it’s even already laid out as a tri fold so you can make your sheet extra compact if you want. There’s a freedom to a compact sheet, stops you playing your character sheet and gets you playing the game

2 Likes

Weirdly, I think this is one good thing about how roll20 is set up, it’s such a pain to jump back and forth between the “playing area” and your character sheet that it incentivizes rolling with it.

3 Likes

I know a lot of new game designers swear they have a new cool resolution system, and I know that old heads are like, “yeah that’s been done,” but hear me out…

The main concept is that you roll at least two dice. One (or more) is your current roll, and one (or more) can be saved to replace future rolls. That’s the broad system.

Specifically in Moonveil you roll 3 six sided dice. 2 are used for an instantaneous 2d6 resolution roll. But the 3rd die is pocketed. The pocketed die can replace future dice - so it can sway resolutions in the future.

But this could be expanded or contracted in a ton of ways. The number of pocketed dice vs. the number of dice for instant resolution determine how much sway or foresight you can have. I initially did this system with just 2 dice, and that gave you too much sway or foresight on whether or not rolls would work. I think 3d6 and use 2 is a good compromise and also hints at all the crazy things you can do if you let them roll more (or less). All the variables I can think of

• Size of dice used (not that impactful, but could be neat)
  • Number of dice used for instant resolution
  • Number of dice saved per roll
  • Number of dice you can save overall - my limit is 1, but could be a cool skill
  • Number of saved dice you can put into play at a time - i only have 1, but would be interesting to play with
  • Manipulation of saved dice (I use this one in lieu of + modifiers. E.g. Charge skill is “if you move towards a threat you can put 3 in your pocket”)

I think it can get overwhelming, but I think this allows for a lot more expression in randomness and how random events affect each other.

Anyways, this is the writeup I have for the dice resolution

When uncertainty arises, roll three dice, add two, and compare against a target:

• Typically add the lowest and highest results
  • In an advantage, add the highest two results
  • In a disadvantage, add the lowest two results

If the sum meets the target it succeeds. If the player has a value in their Pocket, they can replace any result with the value in Pocket.

Afterwards, the unused third result can be stored in your Pocket.

1 Like

Before you make the RPG, you must first make the table top.

1 Like

The pocket and reading 3 dice in different ways based on difficulty have both been done before but not, as far as I know, in combination. Perhaps I’ll write it out on anydice to figure out the probabilities of it

1 Like

I would be interested in the game that let you pocket dice

Weapons of the Gods is a dice pool game with a lot of interesting features.

You roll d10s and take the largest matching set. The number of dice that match is the 10s digit of your result, and the number on those dice is the 1s digit. You can save unused dice from a roll in the River (the pocket) up to a maximum river size (I don’t recall if this can be increased, but I assume so, and it is in any case, larger than 1 die). If your river is full, you will need to either swap dice into your active roll or discard them.

1 Like

the pocket/the river is a mechanic I really like, so I’m always happy to see it (it is way too underutilized given that it works both on mechanical and thematic grounds)

like, in a system that uses fail forward mechanics, it can be a great tactical opportunity for a player, saving a die that rolled high and intentionally failing a roll so they can have a great success later on.

1 Like

I didn’t do it in anydice (first I’ve heard of it. Would love to learn it), but google sheets did some work for me

Three groups of six columns. Six columsn of odds for ncreasing pocket die values for Disadvantage, Normal, and Advantage

Tbh it felt like it was a lot more than what this looks like. I think it’s because when they had low pocket dice they moved away did some inconsequential but safe things to generate better pocket dice. And when they had high pocket dice they went in for the kill.

1 Like

Just intuition, a target number of 8 seems like the most satisfying in play: a 9 is near pointless to attempt with disadvantage unless you have a 6 in your pocket, and a 7 is too easy to succeed on for a normal roll regardless of what’s in your pocket.

I think you might be right

This is the current text on the 3d6 foresight resolution system. A lot of the edge cases were worked through over the last playthrough this weekend, but I think this is it.

1 Like