Switch! (Part 1)

i <3 bomberman64

i guess i don’t think of bomberman as a very actiony game. the main verbs you do are “put thing down in place” and "hide until it blows up"
So working that into a moderately paced puzzle-adventure fits really good, to me. Several of the games tried it (i’m sort of fond of the RPG like ones though theyre boring) but i felt B-man 64 did it best.
The bosses are decently frantic and action-y i might add!

The soundtrack to B-man Hero is probably more remarkable for its spacey drum’n’bass shit, but i personally adore the 64 soundtrack as well, it’s very lush and catchy.

1 Like

yeah I actually adored bomberman 64 when I rented it as a kid (the collectible suit-parts!!!) but I’m pretty sure the pacing would make me mental now

1 Like

I recently picked up a cart (having borrowed my friend’s copy many times as a kid) and this is pretty true. It’s also extremely fiddly, kicking and stacking bomb chains and hoping nothing goes wrong.

Looks and sounds great, it’s almost a diorama style. I could easily see it updated with a stronger focus on clockwork worlds and blowing mini holes through their cause-effect chains.

or, Toad’s Treasure Tracker with bigger levels and bombs

1 Like

we’re all forgetting to mention that B64 multiplayer was totally ace

2 Likes

Bomberman is a bit like Tetris in that it’s a difficult franchise to keep alive as a mainstream thing because it was basically perfected 20 yrs ago and any attempts to add new features just water it down. So basically I guess what I’m saying is we need bomberman tgm, not some fully gimmicked out reboot

Day-B

An open world Bomber Man game where all players are spawned into a large map and have to craft bombs, power-ups, and top-knots.

5 Likes

just wondering, anyone else hoping that sony drops price(s) of PS4 pro and/or PS VR?

because I know where I will try getting rid of my cash$$$$ if they do so …

Nicalis did something stupid

2 Likes

When has Nicalis ever done something that wasn’t stupid, though

4 Likes

Splatoon 2 is 720p 60FPS now in Docked mode but things could change since it’s a way off and DF’s reporter says it runs locked 60fps in docked and undocked mode. I wouldn’t be surprised if it made it up to 900p or 1080p.

The lack of AA is kinda uggo though. I’d rather they go 900p with good AA than 1080p since it’s not going to downsample for handheld mode.

Thanks for the spoilers, I’ve been on a capped connection with limited wireless access so I haven’t been able to sit down and watch the video yet. 720p with no AA definitely sounds about right, and I’m willing to accept that they might fix it as they get closer to release, but it certainly wasn’t a good first impression. Considering most people who lined up an hour early at the Tokyo event only got to play one first-party title, if you wound up choosing Splatoon 2, you left with a pretty bad impression of what the system is capable of.

Having played a bunch of Splatoon in Cemu with AA and AF and switching back and playing the game on real hardware, I’d rather have any amount AF over AA becuase holy hell any texture more than 3 feet in front of you becomes a blurred mess

Besides that, I’m going to be the boring, defensive asshole and say that I’m more concerned with how Nintendo games play and less with how they look or: I’m already totally fine with the fidelity on display with Splatoon and MK8 (I actually think MK8 is one of the best looking games of the past few years, a pretty elegant mix of art, tech and fluidity, but I’m clearly crazy) and just want to play some goddamn Nintendo Virtual-On

3 Likes

I also think MK8 looks boss. Lots of little gorgeous details and cool effects

Yeah, Nintendo’s current Mario style looks flat-out better than comparable art on higher fidelity like modern Ratchet & Clank, Skylanders, or Lego games.

1 Like

I hate MK8’s art style because it’s too busy and I find it hard to see where I’m actually supposed to go >_<

1 Like

Gotta love all the confusing anger and hatred Nintendo seems to get from “hardcore gamers” on forums like neoGAF and popular blog comment sections.

I’m super psyched for Super Mario Odyssey and New Surreal City with the realistically proportioned humans!

Hopefully Nintendo’s plan to stagger releases works out for them.

1 Like

is this the thread to talk about TLG’s framerate

1 Like

Some good beeps and boops coming out of this thing

1 Like

well don’t I have egg on my face now

5 Likes

I don’t want to get hype for this thing but I can’t help myself to get excited over new portables. I’ve got my preorder ready and I can’t wait for the crushing disappointment when I only have Zelda, Bomberman, and Shovel Knight to play on it.

Actually, that’s already way better than the 3DS’s, Wii U, and Wii’s launch.

2 Likes