Switch! (Part 1)

I wonder if a Nintendo-published 3D viewing mode will be a hook that can later be used to export a 3D image in an emulator for something like VR at higher resolution. I wonder if Breath of the Wild would play nicely with framerate hacks like some Dolphin projects…

Huh. Did not expect that would work.

The WiiU version emulated in CEMU does fine with 60fps. I don’t see why the Switch version would be different. And their is a Switch emulator which already has BoTW in pretty decent condition. I bet by fall, it will be running BoTW as well as CEMU. If not better, due to some differences which may require less hacks for the rendering.

Check out first person mode in CEMU

oh and a new 100fps mode

1 Like

this video isn’t showing up for me. is the implication of the image here that i can…use my PSVR with…my Switch, somehow???

it’s a twitter video so try the direct source

But yes, by following that chart people seem to be saying that you can plug your Switch into your PSVR and use the headset. The only real practical use for it seems to currently be if you want to play BotW in 3d since the motion controlled camera that you’ll be missing out on isn’t very good anyway and you can just use the right stick as normal, the Switch will actually be in docked mode so you’ll be getting better performance then with the Labo and the PSVR OLED display looks way better then the Switch screen anyway.

2 Likes

Also, you could lay down in bed. Which is a dream of mine for gaming.

The first person mode for BoTW in CEMU, would be amazing in PSVR.

Did you try it, @isfet? Also:

not yet! tbh, that flow chart and the descriptions of the set up on that Twitter thread are all too vague for me. i feel like i can figure it out, but it would maybe take a couple hours, and i didn’t
have enough free time to dedicate to it this weekend.

Digital Foundry hacked an old switch to bring us some insights

1 Like

having done this same thing, but on a Vita, I am not all shocked that overclocking the GPU makes games less shitty

is there a tasteful minimalist slip case for the switch out there? or do I have to carry around a literal toybox everywhere I go if i want a little protection

This is what I use; simple, minimal, no logos on the side. Interior is microfiber so you can wipe down the screen as you take it out. There’s an exposed hole on the bottom where you can plug a USB cable in while it’s still in the case.

3 Likes

sold! thank you

i found out today that there is an app that builds homepage shortcuts that load up individual roms in Retroarch’s Switch port

7 Likes

hmmm that’s awesome

whats the deal with switch jailbreaks? kills the online or something? i still use my modded wii but it doesn’t handle 3d emulation very well in my experience

Yeah, if you connect to their netplay servers while booted into custom firmware expect to have your console banned i.e. permanently unable to connect to the eshop or online-play.

I think theoretically if you do everything correctly you can wipe and restore to an unmodded state and play stuff online without worry. Alternatively, I’ve read people saying they reboot back into stock firmware and play online and haven’t been banned - afaik this is still risky?

ESP Ra. De. (Cave / M2 ShotTriggers) is coming to switch which is neat.

11 Likes

awww yeahhh

is that thing that lets you play the Switch in tate portable mode any good? it looked…sort of cumbersome?

1 Like

I find it pretty cumbersome. If there was a wireless joycon with a decent d-pad it would be better. Of course that isn’t the flipgrip’s fault, but it does make using it less appealing. I can’t think of a game I’d want to play in tate with an analog stick.

1 Like