Switch! (Part 1)

absorbs sound, regulates temperature

aesthetically fairly unfortunate and supports the crime of flourescents, though

4 Likes

I don’t know how you can say this when the Switch’s “d-pad” is prominently displayed in these photos

4 Likes

Speaking of the d-pad, I’m getting a switch and want to buy a hori joycon day 1.

Now, the western Hori joycons all look bad, while the original japanese blue one looks great. But I remember the japanese one had issues. Are they fixed now? And would a japanese joycon even work with an european switch?

AFAIK all the Hori dpads are the same and the battery drain issues were fixed in a Switch firmware release late last year

I’ve got a blue Japanese one and can attest that mine doesn’t binge on power anymore

1 Like

why are they only compatible with portable mode

are there any remotely decent d-pad joycons that work in detached mode?

I’m not aware of any pre-made third-party joycons with wireless d-pads, but I’ve seen people mod the official Nintendo ones.

1 Like

Probably because bluetooth is a flaky pain in the ass and Hori didn’t want to triple their cost to promise a feature that might still not work properly 100% of the time

2 Likes

Nintendo is also notorious for using weird quasi-bluetooth instead of just… fucking standard bluetooth

Sony also does this, though at least you can use standard bluetooth peripherals with a ps4

MS is the only one who seems to bother at all, and even then they didn’t bother until the second revision of the xbone controller

Lol which one

Seems to me bluetooth variants where both ends are controlled by the same manufacturer is the only model that’s reliable at all, and bluetooth “standardization” has been a fiasco. I wouldn’t blame any individual vendor for this state of affairs (although it might be worth blaming vendors as a whole)

3 Likes

I dunno, my xbone controller works fine as a bluetooth gamepad using my no-name bt dongle

every bluetooth product I’ve ever used has been essentially expensive garbage that I had to buy to earn the right to throw it away.

1 Like

Isn’t that pretty late? I believe my Xbox One controller doesn’t have it and the newer model added it around 2016, 2017

I had to get an official Microsoft Xbox One PC Wireless Dongle (not the Xbox 360 Wireless Dongle I already owned). Then another because the first was flaky from the get-go and broke entirely after a year

there is actually good generic bluetooth hardware (I’ve been doing 90% of my computer audio that way since 2013, and I’ve been using a bluetooth xbone pad on PC since they started making them, with generic hardware and zero complaints), the main problem is that you get what you pay for, and in the stupidest possible way: the difference between a “good” bluetooth radio and a flaky bluetooth radio has to be like, 50 cents of manufacturing cost, but it makes a massive difference to the usability of a product, and you often see corners cut on what would otherwise instinctively seem like decent-value hardware. and it matters for both the “host” and the client.

1 Like

and the very sorry state of generic bluetooth hardware is also why e.g. airpods can get away with seeming like a good value purely on the basis of actually working despite being so exorbitantly expensive

(no I don’t have airpods I’m not in the tank for apple that badly)

2 Likes

if 8bitdo can create an in-house cottage industry over taking old controllers and shoving analog sticks in them and having those work on the Switch over BT, I have my doubts that Nintendo is doing anything too crazy with their interpretation

also it’s portable only because the assumption is if you want a dpad while not in portable mode, there’s a hojillion controllers for that, where as no one is making officially licensed third party joycons

me playing Cactus in portable mode: this is so beautiful, I love it

me after playing Cactus in portable mode for 15 minutes of cramping: Truly, the true nature of man is that of a beast of hubris, as if every one of us were Icarus flying to the sun

6 Likes

The Switch has inaugurated a new silver age of cramping (the golden age was Trauma Center on the DS)

2 Likes

I have a logitech bluetooth mouse that works extremely well

I also tether LTE over bluetooth to my macbook and that always works without any issues

but every other experience with bluetooth has been an enormous pain lol

I have a pair of bluetooth headphones that have worked well over two phones. And my car bluetooth thing works fine. Maybe I am just the lucky dude who doesn’t have issues with bluetooth? IDK.

Captain Toad has a real two player mode now. It isn’t split screen, but it’s adorable so we’ll muddle through. Also the second player is a blue Toad which canonically may be the true Toad.

4 Likes