Switch! (Part 1)

yes i bought it! i also translated it and tested it before release

i might have some tips? check in with the npcs in town from time to time, they’ll open some optional quests as you progress

7 Likes

is you translating it why I see so much casual profanity

don’t take this as a criticism, it’s actually nice to see common folk speak the vernacular

1 Like

it was a thing i tried to do! since we figured the blood would get the game a T rating i wanted to use some T for Teen swears where appropriate

i’m a believer in swears as valid speech, dammit

7 Likes

also is one of your tips about not soloing with witch because I’ve already figured that one out

yeah, i wouldn’t recommend it at first

shinobi seems well suited for it though!

Man, that big glowing instant death head combined with that (hopefully) final block rotating puzzle in the second world of Travis Strikes Again is perhaps too much to deal with!

I found all the extra 1-ups in the exploded guy’s house and I still couldn’t sort it out.

congratulations Inticreates

you’ve successfully Pavlov’d me into attacking every chest and running back when I open one

3 Likes

I feel like a stooge but I’ve been playing that new Mario Odyssey. I enjoy it so far! After Galaxy I thought I was sort of done with these games, that was the one which started off with you leading some kind of feudal-ass procession down to the toad castle from M64, and all the character models were weirdly glossy like they’d been glazed or something, and there were 100 npcs and none of them said anything funny or that cute, and every piece of scenery spit out jubjubs all over the screen and you had to wave your hand constantly to pick them up. And it just felt like such a weirdly charmless corporate pageant even before you got to star world and had to watch a bunch of cutscenes introducing all the different types of locks that you’d put keys in. And the levels were alright but kind of sterile and bland in that filed-off-all-the-edges design guru ethos way. So I was pleasantly surprised when this one had a perfunctory and pretty affectless intro cutscene and then immediately dumped you into this beta-feeling monochrome silent ghost world in a way which felt pleasingly off model.

I’m in the sand land now and it’s starting to feel more busy and sometimes bizarre in an oblivious way. I just dressed Mario up in a sombrero and poncho, so that he could get into a “party”, which turned out to be a big square room of skeleton people wiggling on the spot and shaking maracas, and then there was a cutscene where he pulled out a guitar and played a mariachi version of the Mario theme song and they all clapped, idk. I do like the feeling that they’ve spent so much time chasing the vibe of a gamespace with lowlevel constant shifts in perspective, style and controls that they can be confident dropping that stuff in and out without making a huge deal about how this is the Special Sidescrolling Level or similar.

The rabbit people are cute!

9 Likes

mario odyssey is one of the best games I’ve played in a very long time. it’s very deliberately a follow up to sunshine/64. if I understand, internally they view the galaxy games as almost like a different subfranchise or something

9 Likes

Is (the) Super Mario 3D World (series) part of either of those?

idk, I think tim mentioned this when he was talking about mario galaxy somewhere. I think 3D World/Land is also its own thing akin to new super mario bros?

Nintendo please release 3D Mario games at the New Mario pace.

monkey’s paw finger closes

15 Likes

Oh no I meant Mario 3D not 3D Mario.

2 Likes

Kamiya said blue lives matter

3 Likes

Astral Chain Are Bastards

13 Likes

I guess I’m a cop. I’m all in on this Toku Police craziness.

I hear that mecha game is really good about gender in character creation, so that’s cool

Kind of disappointed to learn that it was mostly of the hunting game mould with a typically light story.

jesus, botw is really good (it runs utterly perfectly in emulation now)

it’s REALLY good. i dunno if i’ll want to spend a billion hours with it, but the sheer awe it inspired just booting it up and fucking off for an hour… that’s rare.

5 Likes