Switch! (Part 1)

BotW was perfect for me, the person who played Oblivion as a flower-picking alchemist mostly taking in the views and occasionally being killed by demons. More games with less mechanics please.

2 Likes

It just felt like work to me. Whereas Mario Odyssey was constant fun.

This made me think of the time I spent in level two of Halo (“Halo”) just chilling and driving around the Windows XP default wallpaper.

Downtime is good!

BotW is the antidote to Ubisoft design.

3 Likes

Engaging with the mechanics in open world games is fucking horrible, please just let me drive my car around in GTAV and reward me for that, somehow. I want to get a shiny fancy car and drive it as fast as I can on the highway at night while synthwave music plays, and then accidentally drive it into a brick wall. And die.

BotW is extremely interested in rewarding me for looking at rocks.

7 Likes

Yeah I do think that this is a real risk with having that much downtime without, say, the ability to do ridiculous jumps constantly or engage with extremely interesting geography constantly. If looking at bridges and rocks and mountains is not your thing, then yeah BotW would suck IMO

I feel like I appreciate downtime far less than most and am also generally unwilling to credit Nintendo with anything and I finished it with three korok seeds and completely ignored the southwestern quarter of the map and I played it in an emulator that crashed sometimes and I skipped every cutscene and I still adored it though I’d have to reread the thread to remind myself of why

2 Likes

Maybe it’s playstyle; I viewed learning something or finding a korok or discovering a neat hand of a designer a punctuation and wouldn’t characterize my time as especially destination-based. My tendency is to avoid heavy goal-following in open-world games, avoiding fast travel if at all possible and enjoying my time walking around. BotW is both denser with interest than anything and spacious enough that it doesn’t feel like a theme park.

5 Likes

Have you considered that you are frequently unwilling to have fun?

It’s there in BOTW if you want it.

1 Like

i thought it kinda stank honestly but i played it after reading over a year of “breath of the wild taught me how to feel joy again” tweets

3 Likes

Easy to confuse feeling joy with having the exact drip feed of stimulation you need to slow anxiety down circa March 2017.

3 Likes

Its the game’s job to make me have fun, not my job.

1 Like

:doomthunking:

2 Likes

O rly. Is it LIFE’s job to make you have FUN, hmmm?

1 Like

Gotta meet it in the middle imo.

Although I sympathize with not liking a game that has seemingly universal praise (or at least the people that like it are REALLY into it).

I think Hollow Knight is boring and brown and controls like an early 2000s GameMaker game, but maybe I’ll get the itch next year to try it again and it’ll click for me then. Who knows (probably not though)!

2 Likes

I think botw is overrated but there is still something magical about it, mostly the first few hours after you get off the plateau

I’m still convinced my brother didn’t like it because he never turned the HUD off

I didn’t like BOTW or Odyssey! I’ll never have fun and you can’t make me!

13 Likes

Hi five!

Anybody pick up dragon marked for death

Someone got a poster for it at QoP.

I bought the Dargon

I made a witch

playing a witch is liking predicting math for the future