oh wow, way to open up that old wound

I just want a burg with ranch mustard on it

2 Likes

that was my favorite thing mcdonalds has ever made

I was like 13

1 Like

Ffriiihhhhhh

1 Like

I had a buddy that worked at McDonald’s and would sneak me little cups of Arch Sauce, the Sauce for Grown Ups.

3 Likes

God damn I miss the Arch Deluxe

2 Likes

yo this is the shit that Controller Companion was made for, it automatically turns off for full-screen games but switches to an Xbox 360-controlled mouse once the game is closed. And it has a keyboard too.

Also this rules.

1 Like

excited to buy this for real and not in an unauthorized bundle

Travis Strikes Again/killer7 crossover

My bad take is that TSA is an okay holdover until another “mainline” NMH game is released, with nice music and throwbacks to Grasshopper Manufacture universe stuff, but is limited and repetitive enough to have fit in better as a minigame in NMH 1 or 2 rather than sold as a separate retail game.
3 Likes

Marble It UPDATE!

1 Like

Now that there are rumors of BOTW 2 is anyone ready to admit its boring and that the world would be better off with a Switch sequel to Link Between Worlds?

5 Likes

Nah, shovel that Breath of Majora goop right down my gullet.

A Link Between Worlds thing not in Link to the Past-space wouldn’t be a bad thing to break things up with first though.

3 Likes

BOTW has so much down time its impossible for me to play. It literally get mad at the game for making me like walk for five minutes to a rock.

But the bigger issue is that open world and adventure are genres which don’t actually go that well together. Open world maximalist rpgs are much better, and, mechanically, BOTW feels too empty to justify all the space and time it takes up.

I made the rather controversial argument that as a game, Skyrim is better on account of there just being more stuff (systems) whose accoutrements can fill up the world. I think I was playing BOTW for maybe an hour or two before I just stopped giving a shit about any item I could find and thus stopped giving a shit about exploring.

2 Likes

I disagree with nearly all your points because I found BOTW absolutely delightful and I was carried through the entire game by my desire to explore that world. It’s full of weird little nooks and crannies and the fact that the map isn’t filled with bullshit and sidequests doesn’t hurt it, but rather elevates it above its contemporaries.

What did Link Between Worlds do so well? I thought it was fine, but I barely remember anything from it! The item shop was neat, but I didn’t think that made the game play much differently than the other 2D Zeldas.

1 Like

The main thing is that LBW was a better match for a dad with a baby/toddler. I literally only get to play games for like 15 minutes a day, and in 15 minute intervals. There is nothing I can do with BOTW in 15 minutes.

But in the end I just don’t like most of what BOTW is doing. The puzzles are too easy and the rewards are boring. It feels like tidying up the world. The big boss dungeons are a little better, but too small and short. The weapon breaking stuff is an absolutely incomprehensible design decision, the only purpose of which is to make room in your inventory so you can be rewarded for solving easy puzzles, for instance.

In general, I also pretty much hate crafting systems, since they are just busy work between you and some operational game design object. The act of crafting stuff is 100% mechanical (as is collecting) so what is the point of putting some rote action between me and something that (presumably) has a more direct game design role? And, again, sitting at the fire crafting shit feels literally like a waste of time. Why am I watching this dumb animation of Link cooking for the thousandth time?

5 Likes

I really think BOTW is the game people think that they want but in 10 years everyone will have forgotten about it and maybe even be scratching their heads about what the big deal was.

3 Likes

I mean, they could make a more condensed world and ditch/rework all the systems you dislike while retaining the sick physics™ as well as the sense of freedom that comes with sneaking through the last level at three hearts.

A lot of the love for BoTW comes from the idea of it rather than the execution I think, with most people seeing it as much truer to the spirit of the original game than whatever Skyward Sword or Twilight Princess were doing.

I didn’t love it, but think a sequel could be amazing. See also: Triforce Heroes.

This is wrong and also the most impressive thing about the game to me. Just like in Mario Odyssey, they managed to create bite-sized play sessions without compromising the feel of a couch console game. BotW’s world is set up so that I always got a full arc of discovery for every tiny play session-- a thoughtful nook, a quick shrine, or even a korok bit help to structure play into these segments where Skyrim might end with, “I walked halfway there, entered a dungeon and got ten steps in”.

It shows serious thought to the game as a mobile thing without feeling compromised. That Sony never managed it on their franchises is a large portion of why the PSP underperformed and Vita failed.

The rest, well, I did like it a lot. Endlessly impressive how much open-world doctrine they ingested and then visibly challenged, to excellent results. The stripping of guardrails gave a thousand developers permission to reconsider where those are needed, and how they impede autonomy and freedom.

7 Likes

I feel like there are lots of 15 minute chunks in the game, but there is too much time wasted between them to get to them.