Switch! (Part 1)

So the great online paywall has now gone up. Who here coughed up for it? From what I’ve seen at least those NES games don’t look like they’re displayed at half-brightness like the Virtual Console ones did (was this done to somehow try and replicate scanlines??).

Some stuff:

• Not sure if this is in line with the other consoles but you can now share your downloaded games

If you log in with your friend’s account on your own Switch you can download and play all(?) of their e-shop purchases. Main restriction though is that you must always be online while playing and if your friend starts playing themselves your game will pause (just have them play in airplane mode?). Also you can only play the games with a user account which has actually purchased them which might make your save datas weird if you decide to purchase them yourself.

Theory:

1. Pick a game that allows local multiplayer between two consoles.
  2. Player A has purchased game. Player B downloads game through game sharing.
  3. Player A disconnects from the Internet yet keeps local wi-fi functions on. Starts game using a secondary user account (in case identical accounts can’t play with themselves)
  4. Player B also starts game using Player B’s primary account while connected to the Internet (all required for B to play at all)
  5. Player A and B can now play locally with each other even though only one of them actually paid for game???

• The Online phone app now lets you talk with strangers? Which you apparently couldn’t before? If you for example join a Mario Kart lobby everybody connected to the app are just automatically connected.
2 Likes

I haven’t signed up yet because I’m not playing anything with online multiplayer right now, and the NES collection and cloud saves aren’t quite enough to bring me onboard–maybe if/when they add SNES games, or once my infant son starts sleeping well enough that I could reliably co-op some Dark Souls.

Anyhow, I think the account/game sharing, chatting with strangers, and even the NES collection show an un-Nintendo level of generosity!

The Dark Souls demo/test thing begins tomorrow. It seems pretty limited.

The colors definitely seem off on the NES stuff. Also I beat the first level of Ghosts n Goblins on my first life keeping my armor the entire time for probably the first time in my life. I’m suspicious.

everyone is talking about game sharing and playing roms online and little kids can’t play Splatoon any more

no one’s talking about how the firmware fixed the battery drain issue with the Hori dpad joycon and now mine has a permanent home

4 Likes

oh wow thanks for the heads up on the hori. i need to pick one of them up.

there’s a new stand alone xenoblade expansion

apparently it’s less than 20 hours long

it may be the best game of all time

4 Likes

Are there any current good deals on the switch hardware? I’m looking to impulse buy soon!

Whoa. More Suikoden 1 length RPGs, please!

1 Like

I just died for the first time in Zelda 1 in like 17 years of regular play throughs.

F- worst emulator ever.

2 Likes

Having played quite a few Just Dance instances since the release of the Wii, my favorite was Just Dance 2014 for Wii U. Kinect was fine, but I preferred the Wiimote for control, and the added camera functions in the U Tablet made for an entertaining time.

1 Like

When is the Switch+ or New! Nintendo Switch or Swiitch or Switch 2 coming out, do you wager?

Risk of Rain is out on Switch! With online multiplayer that doesn’t require weird LAN/Port shenanigans!

1 Like

I feel like we might get an announcement after the holiday period?

The switch hasn’t even been out for 2 years yet, why would they announce a new one?

2 Likes

The Dark Souls online test just ended seconds ago.

I helped folks kill some gargoyles, invaded some people, got invaded, and saw some weird lag issues with dead Balder Knights freezing instead of dying.

My brand new pro controller feels pretty good with it. The sensitivity on the gesture emotes is really weird. Sometimes they trigger right away and sometimes you feel like you’re charging your beam saber instead of trying to bow.

…because people will buy it?

Consider the 3DS family: the 3DS showed up in 2010, then the 3DS XL appeared two years later in 2012. The 2DS came out a year later in 2013, as a weird half-step back targeted at kids. A more significant hardware revision in the form of the New Nintendo 3DS came out over the course of 2014 and 2015.

Similarly, the Xbox One came out in 2013 and 2014; the first revision (stripping out Kinect) launched mid-2014, with various configurations launching over the following years until the Xbox One X was first teased in 2016.

Arguably the Smash bundle could be considered an updated edition of the console, but I’d be very surprised if they didn’t also have some other hardware configurations to announce within the next six months.

2 Likes

Right, like I’m expecting the incrementally better version to be announced the day after I finally cave in and buy this system. The one with a bigger battery, or a sharper screen, etc.

Other than the fact that I own more games than I’ll ever play on PC/PS4 already, it’s that which keeps me from getting out the credit card and taking the plunge.

I really wouldn’t count on there being a new kit annouced until at least next summer E3. The single biggest system seller is coming out in december and already has a special edition console announced to tie in that’s just the same as the last one. If they were to announce any new version before the holiday season is over or even spring then they’d really be shooting themselves in the foot by making people hesitant to buy the current one right when the hype is at its prime. Probable wouldn’t want this new influx of players to feel immediately burned with their purchase.

If anything I’d say this is probably your last shot to get your hands on a new still hackable version of the system that Nintendo seem pretty desperate to try and purge from the market. It’s still very much a developing scene but the scene is confident that Nintendo will in fact NEVER be able to patch out the console exploit on these original hardware revisions. Only problem is that there is almost no way to tell if you have a fixed version or not besides making an educated guess from the purchase date and serial number.

1 Like

There’s been a new Switch model listed in the firmware since April.

1 Like

I don’t doubt that they’ll do some minor hardware revisions but one worth announcing? Nah. Sony revised the PS4 several times before the Pro and didn’t have some big press conference for “hey we made the motherboard cheaper to manufacture!” or “new psu with fewer warranty claims!”

There’d be a revolt if the massive amount of sold Switch accessories stopped working with models released less than 2 years after launch. It’s certain to me they aren’t going to split the install base with new hardware incompatible with the old stuff.

If you’re interested in a switch, I guarantee that you’ll play it more in total if you buy one soon instead of waiting 6+ months for one with 10% more battery life.

5 Likes