Switch! (Part 1)

Not that I’m dismissing your impressions but Bomberman seems like it would be the worst-case scenario for trying to get multiple people to squeeze around a 6 in screen

I’m more concerned with what Jeff over at Giant Bomb pointed out, that the right JoyCon actually has it’s analog stick in the middle instead of properly off to the side, designating it the JoyCon you give to people you hate

Yeah, this has weirded me out since I first saw it. Wondering whether the lesser of two evils is the longer reach for the buttons or the stick.

It can be a mechanic in the new Mario Party. “Loser of this game has to use the right Joycon.”

2 Likes

I think Bowser is using “the claw” grip on the secondary joy-con at the end of that parental lock video. He does have absurdly large cartoon hands though…

1 Like

I wasn’t sure of the details which is why I specifically omitted the word “fast” from my post

Handheld mode was incredibly hard to try, as it was randomly given to you at either Splatoon or Mario Kart 8 Deluxe booths. I didn’t get lucky for Splatoon and by the time I had gotten into the event hall, all of the lines for other first-party games were closed because too many people wanted to play them, so I didn’t get the chance to try my shot at MK8DX. The screen is roughly comparable in size to the iPhone 7 Plus so if you are comfortable playing on a phone, it shouldn’t be an issue in handheld mode, unless the weight of this thing is nuts.

The games being shown in tabletop mode were 1-2 Switch (kind of different from the other games though since you don’t look at the screen), Puyo Puyo Tetris, Super Bomberman R, and Ultra Street Fighter II. Anything that is particularly dense, like Bomberman and certain modes in PuyoTetris that increase the amount of rows and columns in your play field, is really rough in tabletop mode. USFII looked like it was okay, but you’re still left with the ergonomic problem.

how are you supposed to play Street Fighter with 4 buttons?

I think there are shoulder buttons.

Who is the new SF2 revision marketed at? Veterans have been playing Super Turbo over Fightcade or GGPO on custom sticks or whatever for a long time. HD remix never really took off with the more casual players either. I just don’t get it.

1 Like

People who play Nintendo consoles, obviously.

On the positive end, NEO GEO emulation is coming (again) and the initial list is pretty damn great:
KOF 98
World Heroes Perfect
Shock Troopers
Metal Slug 3
and most importantly, Waku Waku 7!

3 Likes

i don’t know who this thing is for but i would definitely appreciate a good, untouched port of ST to modern consoles
but i’m totally an edge case, i don’t think it’d ‘revitalise the scene’ for more than a week or something and everyone else who still plays here is content with hoping someone shows up with the pcb or hunching around a laptop

5 Likes

I am thinking of getting a raspberry pi 2 and using my old PS3 sticks to make a CPS2 emulation station. It would be small and compact and HDMI compatible…

1 Like

I wonder if paid online will hasten the shutdown of Wii U game servers, especially considering the Switch lineup.

Am I weird for being more interested in Super Bomberman R than Zelda? I want to see how that story mode is and all the characters are cute. It looks like it might have actual level design instead of just being stuck in a single arena.

You’re weird for being interested in 30 fps Bomberman in the year of our lord Total Biscuit 2017

Only educated PC gamers like him accept only 60 fps

(seriously though, why the hell is that game not running at 60 fps)

1 Like

cinematic feel

1 Like

Also it seems pretty clear from the menu screens I saw that the character customization options in Bomberman are gonna be microtransaction city. :frowning:

1 Like

I am down for Mario Odyssey and Breath of the Wild but I think that’s about it. Like, I guess Octopath Traveler looks neat but I can’t remember the last time I actually played a JRPG all the way through. The rest of what they showed looked neat but it seemed more multiplayer focused which isn’t really my thing. I’m okay with the price but I probably won’t pick one up until Mario Odyssey is closer to release.

Nintendo should know Mario was the original AAA indie darling. What the fuck they’re doing with Mario Odyssey is beyond me.

My initial reaction to the Mario Odyssey reveal trailer was “uh, what?” but as I keep watching it and watching those “things you missed” videos the more into it I get and the more I want to play it. At this point I’m fully ready to accept whatever the hell is going on with that game because damn if it doesn’t look fun and fresh and just plain weird in a way that a Mario game hasn’t looked in a really long time.

1 Like

What exactly is supposed to be exciting and wacky in that video?